Why don't companies publish equipment weight? - Page 5 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 11:38 AM   #41 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,966
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigmountainVMD View Post
Except for that all too common scenario when you are hiking with your board on your backpack...
I do not think it is that common of a scenario - but even if, I had already acknowledged that caveat ~25 posts ago.

In any case, it is not relevant for the point poutanen made and which I was commenting on.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-23-2013, 11:40 AM   #42 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,966
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
I'm about 15 pounds heavier this year than when I finished last year (beer addiction!)... If I were to add 15 pounds to my board/boots/bindings I think it'd be almost unrideable!
You were carrying 15 pounds of beer in your backpack? I like your style.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:44 AM   #43 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
 
poutanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 5,314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
You were carrying 15 pounds of beer in your backpack? I like your style.
15 pounds in my belly pack!

The funny thing is, last year I started the season about 175, and dropped to about 160 by the end of the season (diet and exercise)... And I found myself getting tired more quickly at the end of the season. This year I started as a fat slob again and I'm having a great year?!?
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:01 PM   #44 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
BigmountainVMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sugarloaf, ME / Philly
Posts: 1,201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
I do not think it is that common of a scenario - but even if, I had already acknowledged that caveat ~25 posts ago.

In any case, it is not relevant for the point poutanen made and which I was commenting on.
And your rebuttal to my ankle weights comment which directly relates to poutanen's theory? I'm curious how you think that doesn't make sense.

Why is the industry moving toward more lightweight gear? Why is top tier equipment constantly being developed with weight reduction kept in mind?

Because people want it, that's why. I will always consider functionality over weight, but all else being equal, I would go for the lighter option.

How about freestyle boards with low swing weight? Why is that advertised so often? Cause people want it! Guess how it is done... weight reduction techniques!

Last edited by BigmountainVMD; 02-23-2013 at 12:07 PM.
BigmountainVMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:03 PM   #45 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
BigmountainVMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sugarloaf, ME / Philly
Posts: 1,201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
15 pounds in my belly pack!

The funny thing is, last year I started the season about 175, and dropped to about 160 by the end of the season (diet and exercise)... And I found myself getting tired more quickly at the end of the season. This year I started as a fat slob again and I'm having a great year?!?
When I am doing multiple back to back, week to week days, I find more and more how important a good breakfast and lunch are to riding a full day. It's not eating an entire cow for dinner that I find extremely difficult.
BigmountainVMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:07 PM   #46 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
crash77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 309
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigmountainVMD View Post
Take some 5 lb ankle weights and put them on your ankles for a day. Then just put them in the pocket of your hoodie. In which scenario would you have more soreness in your legs?
Great point...really puts it in perspective.

I don't see a negative side to stating the actual weight (or at least the weight range when it comes to boards), specifically for products that use lightweight/feather as a selling point for the consumer.

I believe they don't advertise this info because "lightweight" or "feather" is probably an overstatement compared to the actual weight or weight loss of said product.
crash77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:11 PM   #47 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
BigmountainVMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sugarloaf, ME / Philly
Posts: 1,201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash77 View Post
Great point...really puts it in perspective.

I don't see a negative side to stating the actual weight (or at least the weight range when it comes to boards), specifically for products that use lightweight/feather as a selling point for the consumer.

I believe they don't advertise this info because "lightweight" or "feather" is probably an overstatement compared to the actual weight or weight loss of said product.
Yes! It is a leverage effect!! All the weight is at the end of your legs, so smaller differences of weight have a larger effect on what you feel.

I totally agree here. They describe a product as lightweight, but if you actually weigh it, the product is negligibly lighter.
BigmountainVMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:11 PM   #48 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,966
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigmountainVMD View Post
And your rebuttal to my ankle weights comment which directly relates to poutanen's theory? I'm curious how you think that doesn't make sense.
You edited your post, adding the ankle weight point after I had responded.
But to address your point:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigmountainVMD View Post
His statement was totally valid. Take some 5 lb ankle weights and put them on your ankles for a day. Then just put them in the pocket of your hoodie. In which scenario would you have more soreness in your legs?
That jut supports my argument - your legs would be way more tired in the latter scenario (weights in pockets - or backpack, or wherever else) than when wearing the weights around the ankles.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:15 PM   #49 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
crash77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 309
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigmountainVMD View Post
Yes! It is a leverage effect!! All the weight is at the end of your legs, so smaller differences of weight have a larger effect on what you feel.

I totally agree here. They describe a product as lightweight, but if you actually weigh it, the product is negligibly lighter.
Yeah, because you know shaving 10 grams is technically a weight reduction.
crash77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:25 PM   #50 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
BigmountainVMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sugarloaf, ME / Philly
Posts: 1,201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
You edited your post, adding the ankle weight point after I had responded.
That was my bad. Not trying to call you out here, just wanted to hear your opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
That jut supports my argument - your legs would be way more tired in the latter scenario (weights in pockets - or backpack, or wherever else) than when wearing the weights around the ankles.
I would disagree and say that it nullifies your argument. Have you ever worn ankle weights? I promise you, your legs will be more sore when them at your ankles than in your pockets. Leverage man... leverage.

The weight position is the variable, the fulcrum (knee) and leg length are constant values, as is the position of the acting force (muscles). The muscular force needed to move the leg increases as the weight is moved further towards the opposite end of the leg. If the weight was just below the knee, less force would be needed to move the leg than if the weight was at the ankle. Same applies to the hip. Moving the weight to the body removes this leverage effect from the leg.
BigmountainVMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:30 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums