new rider in the family - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 07:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
slyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Milwaukee Suburbs
Posts: 2,533
Talking new rider in the family

We finally both had the time to ride. I taught my 13 year old daughter to snowboard today

We had a good time. It still needs work of course but we got to spend 2 1/2 hours out of 4 riding the chair lift. She still needs to work on edging, toeside turns and balance. Everything a newbie needs to work on. She had fun, I had fun and she didn't get hurt. We might go again this coming Friday otherwise that Sunday.

2 boys riding, now the daughter. We are all loving it
__________________
Thanks
-Slyder
slyder is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-03-2013, 07:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
t21
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: mt.
Posts: 470
Default

awesome slyder nice to see a whole family riding together. btw, does your wife board too?
__________________
2011 Ride Antic 163
2011 Status Focus 158
NX2-AT
FUSE-AT
t21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Resident poet
 
wrathfuldeity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bham
Posts: 3,692
Default

My daughter and I were going to go up for a bc tour tomarrow but looks it might be dust on concrete
__________________
wrathfuldeity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
slyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Milwaukee Suburbs
Posts: 2,533
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by t21 View Post
awesome slyder nice to see a whole family riding together. btw, does your wife board too?
The wife doesn't ride. She has a hard time with the cold and very bad with heights. She is supportive of the rest of us riding though. That is the next best thing. My daughter is in dance so not sure how much riding she can do, but I will take what she is/can share with me.

Great time we had tonight !!!
__________________
Thanks
-Slyder
slyder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
 
poutanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 5,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyder View Post
My daughter is in dance so not sure how much riding she can do, but I will take what she is/can share with me.

Great time we had tonight !!!
Sweet! I'm 31 and my dad's 70. It's one of the few things we do together still (ski and snowboard that is)...

Hopefully it becomes a lifelong love of hers and you'll have lots of years to enjoy it with her!
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
slyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Milwaukee Suburbs
Posts: 2,533
Talking

It's been 2 weeks since we could get out again. Daughter had a dance competition and it rained the following day.
Our hill is scheduled to close this Sunday the 17th but did extend it one more weekend do to the coming snow and cold week, but next weekend it is over for us

Well the daughter and I got out yesterday. That will be her 2nd full day of riding.
We had a blast !!!! Started off just riding however she wanted, I didn't care about form. We slowly worked on some form/technique. I don't want her to comfortable with bad form but still balancing making it fun for her and not having her hate me. This worked out very well.
By mid day she had done some successfull linked turns. We blended comfort with teaching and this worked great. Before lunch she asked "dad can I go take some runs by myself?" sadness fills, daddy's little girl orphaned me like the boys did. I said take 4 runs and we'll meet up and take some more runs. Again worked out well.

After lunch she asked to try that hill, pointing. One of our 3 black diamonds, I knew she wasn't ready but I also knew she could make it down safely heelsliping. The hill was super slow and soupy snow so I said sure. She made it down 2x and told me she isn't ready for that yet. A little slack of the parent reins and it all worked out.
We continued riding and the linking turns clicked more and more and she was able to ride our blue runs nearly the whole way linking turns. Of course there were falls and moments of heelsliping but those were so out weighed by linked turns.

Proud dad, happy daughter and we had a great day on the hill together
__________________
Thanks
-Slyder

Last edited by slyder; 03-17-2013 at 08:53 AM.
slyder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Derp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wausau, Wisconsin
Posts: 237
Default

I'm going to need to pull more tricks out of my hat so you can afford to come here again next season. Start saving now for a Family Fest weekend!

Now you have a new riding buddy and she is young enough to hold onto for the next few years at least
Derp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Bigfoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 35
Default new rider in the family

Slyder, that's awesome! I took my 12 year old daughter at the beginning of the season and now she is hooked.

After several years off, I am getting back into it. Though it pisses me off she was carving and railing her second day. She spent most of her young life in gymnastics so she is very strong and has superb balance.

Meanwhile I am 6'8" and my center of gravity is in my forehead.

Anyway, glad to see snowboarding is a family affair! Cheers
Bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Resident poet
 
wrathfuldeity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bham
Posts: 3,692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyder View Post
It's been 2 weeks since we could get out again. Daughter had a dance competition and it rained the following day.
Our hill is scheduled to close this Sunday the 17th but did extend it one more weekend do to the coming snow and cold week, but next weekend it is over for us

Well the daughter and I got out yesterday. That will be her 2nd full day of riding.
We had a blast !!!! Started off just riding however she wanted, I didn't care about form. We slowly worked on some form/technique. I don't want her to comfortable with bad form but still balancing making it fun for her and not having her hate me. This worked out very well.
By mid day she had done some successfull linked turns. We blended comfort with teaching and this worked great. Before lunch she asked "dad can I go take some runs by myself?" sadness fills, daddy's little girl orphaned me like the boys did. I said take 4 runs and we'll meet up and take some more runs. Again worked out well.

After lunch she asked to try that hill, pointing. One of our 3 black diamonds, I knew she wasn't ready but I also knew she could make it down safely heelsliping. The hill was super slow and soupy snow so I said sure. She made it down 2x and told me she isn't ready for that yet. A little slack of the parent reins and it all worked out.
We continued riding and the linking turns clicked more and more and she was able to ride our blue runs nearly the whole way linking turns. Of course there were falls and moments of heelsliping but those were so out weighed by linked turns.

Proud dad, happy daughter and we had a great day on the hill together
Slyder, all too soon it will be the other way around...rode with my daughter...like 3rd time this year. Yesterday we had a great 24" pow to ride, she was touring me some gnarls stuff that you have to be introduced to cause if you don't know where to enter/exit you can kill yourself...anyway by 12:30 of ripping stuff...I was toast and had to beg off to some groomers and she found some of her gals and they went bc.
__________________
wrathfuldeity is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:50 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums