And scary tree well rescue - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member
 
Casual's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 726
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
Yeah, I'm almost always alone when into the bad stuff. And I've been stuck before/wiped out and called for help to no answer. We usually just say we'll meet at the base of the lift if we get split up.

Maybe I'm ignorant but I think that'd be a lot less likely to happen with our dry light powder? Even several feet of it on top of you weighs almost nothing. I have ended up in a couple streams though and that could get dicey.
I think different terrain and regions have different risks as well. Personally in all my time riding in the west rockies I have yet to come across a bad tree well. Sunshine, Marmot and Lake Louise specifically. But once I get into the interior like Kickinghorse I have seen them and had to pull my buddy out of one, he was dangling from his board and no way he could have gotten out, luckily no snow fell in at all so he wasn't in a lot of danger. I might be wrong and just been lucky over the last 20 years but they don't seem to be a big issue at the hills I frequent.
Casual is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 11:18 AM
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
 
poutanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 6,196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual View Post
I think different terrain and regions have different risks as well. Personally in all my time riding in the west rockies I have yet to come across a bad tree well. Sunshine, Marmot and Lake Louise specifically. But once I get into the interior like Kickinghorse I have seen them and had to pull my buddy out of one, he was dangling from his board and no way he could have gotten out, luckily no snow fell in at all so he wasn't in a lot of danger. I might be wrong and just been lucky over the last 20 years but they don't seem to be a big issue at the hills I frequent.
Yeah I've never seen one at any of the hills around here either. I've only been to Kicking Horse during early season conditions, but the snow seemed similar to Fernie (where I've also never seen anything like a tree well).

I think since our snow tends to fall about a foot at a time, and then gets well used, it must pack down and fill in the voids before the next snow falls?

Riding at Seymour and Cypress a month ago I was amazed at how much heavy sticky snow was clinging to the trees. That just doesn't happen here!

Okay, well I'll continue to ride my usual runs by myself when nobody's around.
poutanen is offline  
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
 
Casual's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 726
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
Yeah I've never seen one at any of the hills around here either. I've only been to Kicking Horse during early season conditions, but the snow seemed similar to Fernie (where I've also never seen anything like a tree well).

I think since our snow tends to fall about a foot at a time, and then gets well used, it must pack down and fill in the voids before the next snow falls?

Riding at Seymour and Cypress a month ago I was amazed at how much heavy sticky snow was clinging to the trees. That just doesn't happen here!

Okay, well I'll continue to ride my usual runs by myself when nobody's around.
Ya I was thinking the same, we rarely get more than a foot in a day and somehow people will track out every single line by the time said day is over lol.

Just watch out for those jumping trees, like the one that jumped in front of you the other day... bastards are tough to line through.
Casual is offline  
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 11:31 AM
Senior Member
 
Soul06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That is craaaaaazy! This is something I've never even heard about until this thread. I will definitely not be doing any tree riding anywhere that has deep snow if I'm solo. I can't imagine the fear he probably felt. Even worse if you know you are alone
Soul06 is offline  
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 11:32 AM
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
 
poutanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 6,196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual View Post
Just watch out for those jumping trees, like the one that jumped in front of you the other day... bastards are tough to line through.
F yeah! It's been a few years since I ran square into a tree with the nose. I think the route was narrow and my brain stopped computing... That was a narrow run but one of my faves!
poutanen is offline  
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,659
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamfb2 View Post
And even this particular one wasn't at the base of a tree, just a clear line through a heavily forested area.

That's why it's good to ride in trees with threes. One guy digging out or missing seeing his buddy go down adds to the risk.
Doesn't have to be the base of a big tree. It can be a small tree that is completely covered.
mojo maestro is offline  
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 11:50 AM
Senior Member
 
bamfb2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 393
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo maestro View Post
Doesn't have to be the base of a big tree. It can be a small tree that is completely covered.

Good point.
bamfb2 is offline  
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 12:03 PM
Resident Snowman
 
aiidoneus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 608
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
Yep, when it gets deep here, we ride with the full gear; shovel, probe and beacon and leapfrog through the trees so that every rider is being watched the entire time. Having your shovel can get people dug out fast compared to digging with hands. Had to dig a friend out of about an 8 foot well up at White Pass, Wa a couple of years ago.
Luckily he was ok. Surprised no proper gear, or even taking proper steps. Walking on top of him ... bye bye air pockets.
aiidoneus is offline  
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 12:08 PM
Resident Snowman
 
aiidoneus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 608
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
Yeah, I'm almost always alone when into the bad stuff. And I've been stuck before/wiped out and called for help to no answer. We usually just say we'll meet at the base of the lift if we get split up.

Maybe I'm ignorant but I think that'd be a lot less likely to happen with our dry light powder? Even several feet of it on top of you weighs almost nothing. I have ended up in a couple streams though and that could get dicey.
I haven't seen really bad spots in bounds around Lake Louise, or Sunshine. But in the back country I notice sometimes there is layers of corn snow under the fluffy nice stuff. It is a bitch to walk in, dig through, etc. It doesn't pack down, and acts like quick sand.
aiidoneus is offline  
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
 
AIRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 690
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
And scary tree well rescue

There's a sticky up top, recommend for all you to read, there's tons of great info!!

Ill repost this up there.

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
AIRider is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome