A Favour to ask... ;) - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 07:56 AM   #21 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Deacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hudson, WI
Posts: 1,794
Default

I don't know for sure, but I'd bet that most of the negs are coming from people with out kids. Those of us with them get the difference between making the kid live YOUR dream, and simply supporting THEIRS. Nice work Kevin!
__________________
2014/2015

Troll -- 1
Afton -- 3
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-26-2013, 08:25 AM   #22 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 408
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deacon View Post
I don't know for sure, but I'd bet that most of the negs are coming from people with out kids. Those of us with them get the difference between making the kid live YOUR dream, and simply supporting THEIRS. Nice work Kevin!
Beautifully put!!
ItchEtrigR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:03 AM   #23 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Kevin137's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Drammen
Posts: 1,134
Default

That is exactly what i have been trying to say... Hehe

It HAS to be him that wants to do it, he used to be a shy withdrawn boy with little confidence who didn't have many friends, balance was always bad, he gave up easily, and now he is a different boy altogether, outgoing, confident, tries everything, and glows in his life and his ambitions...

Why...? Because he has found a love for something that he is good at, i really didn't think he would do so well, and the 1st year was a real struggle for him to learn, and i had no idea that he would just grasp it this season, but once he did, that was it...

Support from the school for snowboarding, and pros from the resort has helped immensely and now they take time to ride with him, and push him a little, but that is because they see his passion... All i do is drive him pretty much, and pay for his equipment... Haha I'm joking of course, but never having had a dad around for stuff like this with me, and missing out on much of my own sons stuff due to a bitter ex, i now have the opportunity to get it right with my step son, so i am definitely not going to push him out of his love, that woud not be what i want...
__________________
Height 5"11, Weight 200-210lbs, Born 1969
Regular Stance, Ability NOT GOOD


2012/13 114 days
2013/14 102 days


Rides

K2 Fastplant 154, Ride DH2 158, Endeavour Vice 155, Signal OG 155, NS Evo 157
Kevin137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:15 PM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
Lagomorphic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 62
Default

A website, clothing line, sponsorship, DVD, different kinds of social media (which he's concerned about getting likes on), multiple adults in his life who are "looking at developing this as much as we can" . . .

Of course that's pressure. Especially for a 7 year old. Could he quit snowboarding tomorrow without feeling like he's disappointing anyone . . . ?
Lagomorphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:42 PM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagomorphic View Post
Of course that's pressure. Especially for a 7 year old. Could he quit snowboarding tomorrow without feeling like he's disappointing anyone . . . ?
Under some pressure yes, but as his dad has stated, he's not pushing him. If he wants to stop he'll do it of his own accord and that has been openly admitted. Though I agree, it is banking on a lot of things behind him, so if he does give up....
However do kids at that age even feel like they're disappointing someone if they move on? Probably not, he'll move on to play with some other toys and be happy doing that and most likely won't care about whats left behind. It's just a fun sport that he can come back to anyway.
Girvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:19 AM   #26 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Kevin137's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Drammen
Posts: 1,134
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagomorphic View Post
A website, clothing line, sponsorship, DVD, different kinds of social media (which he's concerned about getting likes on), multiple adults in his life who are "looking at developing this as much as we can" . . .

Of course that's pressure. Especially for a 7 year old. Could he quit snowboarding tomorrow without feeling like he's disappointing anyone . . . ?
Website currently directs to fb, clothing line is generic so not a problem and hardly a line with a couple of t-shirts a fleece I'm different coulors and maybe 1 or 2 different hoodies, sponsorship currently consists of a small shop doing stuff at cost, they are never going to complain, DVD, what DVD, one for his class which to be fair is no different than talking and showing photos about your holiday, or did you never do that at school? Social media is fb, and he is not concerned but thinks it is fun when more people like it, he used to struggle to make friends, he is now open and fun minded and can't believe people like his page, concerned he is not, but it always gets a smile when there are more that is for sure.

The school he is in, is all about fun with development being a part of it, all the guys that ride with him came through the same school, and now they do what they do, they enjoy riding with him, probably because he likes to try new stuff and he takes in what he sees them do, that is not a bad thing, are they an influence, yes a positive one on his riding ability, but that is all...

I don't get why it is negative all the time, you only have to see how he is on the snow to see how positive is has been, and again in all facets of life, he is such a chilled laid back kid now without a care in the world, that loves snowboarding, that is all it is too him...
__________________
Height 5"11, Weight 200-210lbs, Born 1969
Regular Stance, Ability NOT GOOD


2012/13 114 days
2013/14 102 days


Rides

K2 Fastplant 154, Ride DH2 158, Endeavour Vice 155, Signal OG 155, NS Evo 157
Kevin137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:47 AM   #27 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vail, CO
Posts: 4,084
Default

I wasn't going to like the FB page but I am now just because these other guys are being dipshits.

My son has a passion for boarding also. Few years ago we moved to vail when he was 10 so he could pursue his passion. He started competing in multiple styles and won quite a few contests... Over the last couple years he gave up all of the competing except big mountain. It's dangerous, it's scares the shit out of us(the parents) most the time, it costs a busload of money to do the tours when we don't want to accept money from people to corporatize him yet, but plain and simple..... He loves it, he is great at it and it's what he wants to do. We home school and travel around a lot for comps. We were oriionally from south Texas so it was not our dream we are following. He was ranked top 5 last year going into nationals in SBX, we passed on those finals because it coincided with north American champs for big mountain. He got 4th in that cause of a butt check off a 20' cliff.... Fucking skier judges. Now he has sponsorship from drift, smokin and a local shop..... Dunno of I want them to pay for travel and expenses or not but the free shit is nice. Think we will wait until he is 15-16 for the other stuff....

Point is, he knew at a young age(like 6/7) that's what he loved and that's what he wanted to do. When people have kids, they know. The fucking single life douchers or 6 day a year snowboarders that put an emphasis on living within the social norms don't have a clue.

Good for you for helping the kid live and follow his passion. I'm sure your like me, if he gave it up, fuck it... There's plenty to doin life beyond boarding but I just don't see that happening anytime soon and I'm sure you don't either.
Argo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:36 PM   #28 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet
 
chomps1211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: S.E. Mich.
Posts: 4,217
Default

Definitely need MORE parents who recognize and support their children's passions!!! Especially when they are somewhat,.. "unconventional!"

I haven't heard anything here that sounds like "pushing" or "pressure" to have the boy fulfill ANY of the adult's unrealized dreams or aspirations!!

Wish my own parents had been half as perceptive, encouraging and supportive of the things I was interested in when I was his age!!! I wish him all the best in his pursuits!
__________________
You're only Young Once,.. but you can be Immature FOREVER!

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
2014/15
chomps1211 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:22 PM   #29 (permalink)
Resident poet
 
wrathfuldeity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bham
Posts: 4,169
Default

Its great that a kid has a healthy passion, that have parents who help and make the sacrifice. The passion is the motivating factor that gets a kid to expand into and is reflected in other areas. In the beginning parents do a lot and also help the kid to instill a belief that it can be done. In the middle, parents teach/show/help the kid to learn how to do/accomplish it and in the end the kid does it for themselves....imho what every parent wants for their kid...confidence, competence and accomplishment/self actualization. Its not pressure from adults...its the PASSION of the kid...they got to do it.

Daughter was addicted since day 1 at 7 yrs old and rode for 8 years, at 15 switched to skiing, 16 a ski instructor and 80 days, at 17 she skied 100+ days while living 60 miles away (didn't have driver license or have a car), was a ski instructor and did her senior project by training with pro patrol. And now at 18-19, her own stuff with the crew (who do it themselves)...btw bc filming is not like getting park footy.

Secret Stash: Locs Only on Vimeo

Bike Lap with Sade on Vimeo

North Cascade Productions on Vimeo
__________________

Last edited by wrathfuldeity; 06-30-2013 at 11:27 PM.
wrathfuldeity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #30 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Deacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hudson, WI
Posts: 1,794
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argo View Post
I wasn't going to like the FB page but I am now just because these other guys are being dipshits.

My son has a passion for boarding also. Few years ago we moved to vail when he was 10 so he could pursue his passion. He started competing in multiple styles and won quite a few contests... Over the last couple years he gave up all of the competing except big mountain. It's dangerous, it's scares the shit out of us(the parents) most the time, it costs a busload of money to do the tours when we don't want to accept money from people to corporatize him yet, but plain and simple..... He loves it, he is great at it and it's what he wants to do. We home school and travel around a lot for comps. We were oriionally from south Texas so it was not our dream we are following. He was ranked top 5 last year going into nationals in SBX, we passed on those finals because it coincided with north American champs for big mountain. He got 4th in that cause of a butt check off a 20' cliff.... Fucking skier judges. Now he has sponsorship from drift, smokin and a local shop..... Dunno of I want them to pay for travel and expenses or not but the free shit is nice. Think we will wait until he is 15-16 for the other stuff....

Point is, he knew at a young age(like 6/7) that's what he loved and that's what he wanted to do. When people have kids, they know. The fucking single life douchers or 6 day a year snowboarders that put an emphasis on living within the social norms don't have a clue.

Good for you for helping the kid live and follow his passion. I'm sure your like me, if he gave it up, fuck it... There's plenty to doin life beyond boarding but I just don't see that happening anytime soon and I'm sure you don't either.
Exactly. +1m
__________________
2014/2015

Troll -- 1
Afton -- 3
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:06 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums