something to think about - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2007, 11:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
intake
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default something to think about

Why is riding switch called riding switch and not riding fakie?

When riding switch snowboarding we are simple riding backwards... the tail of the board is in the front and the nose is in the back. Now in skateboarding this is riding fakie because you are just riding backwards. To ride switch in skateboarding the nose of the board is in the front and the tail is in the back but, you change your stance. So if you ride regular you would switch to goofy.

So why when snowboarding do we consider it riding switch when we are simply riding backwards. Unless you're riding a twin tip board and your stance angles are the same for both feet why wouldn't we have to physically change our binding stance around to truely ride switch?

Note: I'm just putting this out there as I was skateboarding long before snowboarding(been doing both for a long time) to see what other people think about this. And so you now I call it switch too.
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-05-2007, 12:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
palidon11
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

but in skateboarding isn't switch and fakie 2 different things? switch is riding off hand (right foot forwatd if you're regular) and riding fakie is riding left foot forward if you're regular and having your left foot positioned on the front kicktail and right foot between the trucks?

know what i mean?

or am i wrong?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 01:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Oh god...NO!
 
Slaughterhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 812
Default

I kind of look at it this way; there seems to be a lot of push to make snowboarding like skateboarding. While both board sports they are still not the same thing. I mean, I've heard from a lot of people that skateboarding was the father of snowboarding which is just a weird thing to state (snowskating and street style park features, absolutley). Surfing is certainley the nucleus for our way of life and boardsports like skateboarding, longboarding, snowboarding, wakeboarding, skimboarding, and the like are all in their own genre. So terms that are used in skateboarding may not always, nor they must, pair up with snowboarding. Some skaters do get bent out of shape when we interchange switch/fakie but hey, we aren't skateboarding here
__________________
STICK OPPOSITION MOVEMENT
If you want to act 'serious',
then become a skier!
Slaughterhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
intake
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by palidon11
but in skateboarding isn't switch and fakie 2 different things? switch is riding off hand (right foot forwatd if you're regular) and riding fakie is riding left foot forward if you're regular and having your left foot positioned on the front kicktail and right foot between the trucks?

know what i mean?

or am i wrong?
Quote:
Originally Posted by intake
When riding switch snowboarding we are simple riding backwards... the tail of the board is in the front and the nose is in the back. Now in skateboarding this is riding fakie because you are just riding backwards.
saying the same thing just worded different.... snowboarding switch = skateboarding fakie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaughterhouse
I kind of look at it this way; there seems to be a lot of push to make snowboarding like skateboarding. While both board sports they are still not the same thing. I mean, I've heard from a lot of people that skateboarding was the father of snowboarding which is just a weird thing to state (snowskating and street style park features, absolutley). Surfing is certainley the nucleus for our way of life and boardsports like skateboarding, longboarding, snowboarding, wakeboarding, skimboarding, and the like are all in their own genre. So terms that are used in skateboarding may not always, nor they must, pair up with snowboarding. Some skaters do get bent out of shape when we interchange switch/fakie but hey, we aren't skateboarding here
very true... However, a lot of the terms used in snowboarding stem from skateboarding.

And like I said in my first post I use the term switch all the time when I'm snowboarding and have nothing against it. I'm simply wanting to hear peoples opinions on the subject. Or maybe I'm just bored at work and looking to stir the pot a bit and see what spills out...
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 03:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Kieran
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

yeah since i skated 6 years before turning to the snow, i kinda call switch fakie all the time.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 03:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
palidon11
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by intake
saying the same thing just worded different.... snowboarding switch = skateboarding fakie
no, from what i'm saying switch skateboarding and switch skateboarding are the same. fakie skateboarding and switch snowboarding are 2 different things. think fakie position, not stance.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 03:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
killclimbz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Front Range
Posts: 10,846
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by palidon11
no, from what i'm saying switch skateboarding and switch skateboarding are the same. fakie skateboarding and switch snowboarding are 2 different things. think fakie position, not stance.
Am I the only one who is getting a little confused by this statement???
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
palidon11
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

maybe i'm wrong. i'd make something in ms paint but i'm too lazy/am lacking time.

when i think fakie i think of the foot position i'd be in for a nollie.

i have a hard time explaining things but theres 4 kinds of ollies, the ollie, the switch ollie, the nollie and the switch nollie. you'd go into fakie position (left foor forward being regular) to pop a nollie, and right foor forward to pop a switch nollie.

maybe i just suck at skate terminology.

Last edited by palidon11; 09-05-2007 at 04:10 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
intake
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by killclimbz
Am I the only one who is getting a little confused by this statement???
i'm with you
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
intake
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpdsnowman
I usually tell people " I go both ways" which always brings up the comment that I have to reply..."im talking about snowboarding!"
haha... the only time you should have to justify that is if the person you're talking to has an interest other than snowboarding
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums