May be moving to Norcal where should I get a pass? - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 10:37 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
neednsnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 1,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good luck with your interview. Keep in mind that it is a friggin distance between Kirkwood and Alpine. Like 2 hours in the winter. If you are looking to take frequent day-trips, then Kirkwood is for you. If you are looking to get-in on a house/rent a room for the season, then you may wish to hit the north shore as Squaw and Alpine are practically conjoined.

Neednsnow.com:
Traveling the States and Taking Pictures
neednsnow is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 12:07 PM
RVM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 564
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What are you interviewing for, if you don't mind the asking?

Good luck on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4Shredr View Post
Thanks for the info fellas! I'm thinking either the Squaw/Alpine pass or the Kirkwood/Alpine pass. Kirkwood would be more convenient but Squaw's terrain looks SICK! I may be getting ahead of myself a little here, gotta score the job first! Flying out for a second interview on October 17th, STOKED!

There is no substitution for human competition.
RVM is offline  
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 12:10 PM
RVM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 564
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
While Kirkwood might be 10 miles or so closer to you, you have to take US50 and 88/89 to get there. Squaw is a nearly straight shot up I80. I80 is usually faster than US50 because I80 is a relatively wide and straight freeway while CA50 is narrow and winding. This is especially true when it is snowing heavily. People on 50 tend to slow WAY down to <25mph. Usually even in the snow on I80 people go ~35mph or so, and even if they aren't it's easy enough to go around them after a few miles.



Quote:
Originally Posted by neednsnow View Post
Good luck with your interview. Keep in mind that it is a friggin distance between Kirkwood and Alpine. Like 2 hours in the winter. If you are looking to take frequent day-trips, then Kirkwood is for you. If you are looking to get-in on a house/rent a room for the season, then you may wish to hit the north shore as Squaw and Alpine are practically conjoined.

There is no substitution for human competition.
RVM is offline  
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member
 
jdang307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,929
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by S4Shredr View Post
Thanks for the info fellas! I'm thinking either the Squaw/Alpine pass or the Kirkwood/Alpine pass. Kirkwood would be more convenient but Squaw's terrain looks SICK! I may be getting ahead of myself a little here, gotta score the job first! Flying out for a second interview on October 17th, STOKED!
Don't know much about the actual freeways/routes there, but google maps is showing a 1/2 hour difference between squaw vs. kirkwood, from Dublin. Not a huge difference.

Takes me 3 hours to get to a puny mountain (Bear/Snow Summit). I'll be riding a lot up in Tahoe this year though, since the wifey just got a job that has her travelling to Sacramento/Tahoe/Reno a lot. If she goes enough it might be worth getting a pass.
jdang307 is offline  
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
S4Shredr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVM View Post
What are you interviewing for, if you don't mind the asking?

Good luck on it!
Thanks! Its for a civil engineering position. I have a job right now but want to get off the east coast. One thing I'm worried about is the cost of living in Cali so if I do get an offer, the amount will play a big role in my decision. But The company does tend to pay pretty well and I think my lifestyle would be far superior to here in NJ. I could snowboard in the winter and surf/golf/track my car all year. Plus the company does an 9/8 schedule so I would get every other Friday off which is a huge plus for me.


Quote:
Originally Posted by neednsnow View Post
Good luck with your interview. Keep in mind that it is a friggin distance between Kirkwood and Alpine. Like 2 hours in the winter. If you are looking to take frequent day-trips, then Kirkwood is for you. If you are looking to get-in on a house/rent a room for the season, then you may wish to hit the north shore as Squaw and Alpine are practically conjoined.
Getting in on a house or renting a room for a season would be ideal although I don't know many people in the area. Me and some friends rented in Vermont last season and it was an awesome time, plus it only cost us $1,000 each for the whole season. Is there a good website to search for available rooms/shared houses besides craigslist?
S4Shredr is offline  
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
 
KIRKRIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,990
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by S4Shredr View Post
So I may be taking a job in Dublin, CA this winter and was wondering what you guys would suggest for a ski area to get a pass, most likely in Tahoe or Mammoth.

My style of riding is as follows:

1. When conditions are good: Sick terrian, open bowls, some cliff drops and trees.
2. When its tracked out but good snow can be found: Trees
3. When conditions arent good you'll find me in the park.

Where do you suggest and why?

Thanks!
Welcome neighbor! I'm across the street. (Pleasanton) . Closest snow is K-wood from where we are. 2:45Hr if I drive. 4th year season pass and loving it....mostly one day trip pow days...but now we have the Hostel up in da 'wood..I will get stuck a lot this winter.



check how it looks already:
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/sno...tml#post421978

2015/16 -3- Kirkwood days
Arbor A-Frame 158 2009-10
Jeremy Jones Hovercraft 156, 2011/12
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06

Last edited by KIRKRIDER; 10-06-2011 at 05:52 PM.
KIRKRIDER is offline  
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 06:06 PM
RVM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 564
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Man Kirkwood is so tempting... 6Wood or Squaw... grr

There is no substitution for human competition.
RVM is offline  
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member
 
KIRKRIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,990
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
Don't know much about the actual freeways/routes there, but google maps is showing a 1/2 hour difference between squaw vs. kirkwood, from Dublin. Not a huge difference.

Takes me 3 hours to get to a puny mountain (Bear/Snow Summit). I'll be riding a lot up in Tahoe this year though, since the wifey just got a job that has her travelling to Sacramento/Tahoe/Reno a lot. If she goes enough it might be worth getting a pass.
Main difference is that on 88 you find mostly people with AWD that know how to drive in the snow and don't find themselves caught in a storm by chance.,..they go there on purpose.

On I 80 on the other hand you will find all and every van with a pair of chains in the trunk, coming back from all Tahoe locations.

Good luck.

2015/16 -3- Kirkwood days
Arbor A-Frame 158 2009-10
Jeremy Jones Hovercraft 156, 2011/12
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06
KIRKRIDER is offline  
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
S4Shredr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRKRIDER View Post
Welcome neighbor! I'm across the street. (Pleasanton) . Closest snow is K-wood from where we are. 2:45Hr if I drive. 4th year season pass and loving it....mostly one day trip pow days...but now we have the Hostel up in da 'wood..I will get stuck a lot this winter.



check how it looks already:
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/sno...tml#post421978
Damn! This is really making me want to get off the ice coast ASAP! Hopefully all goes well and I'm getting out to Cali sooner rather than later!
S4Shredr is offline  
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 09:50 PM
RVM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 564
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For what it's worth, I just bought my Squaw pass. It was a hard decision between there and Kirkwood. I justified it because this may be my last winter here in Tahoe and I wouldn't be able to forgive myself for not spending a season at Squaw while I had the chance.

There is no substitution for human competition.
RVM is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome