Moving out to California - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 12:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Deimus85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: 609
Posts: 301
Default Moving out to California

Hey guys,

I am moving out to San Diego next week. I already got some friends out there who ride, but I would love to be able to meet some new shredders. Any plans for the coming weekends? I've been riding for 14 years and want to ride with some experienced snowboarders.

I hear Big Bear and Mt. High are good to go to...any other local spots that I should check out? Do any of these mountains have California resident deals?

Also, anyone fly with their gear ever? Is it more expensive than checking a 50 lb paintball gearbag?

-Michael
Deimus85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-03-2013, 08:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1
Default

Just a word of advice, every time I have been to Mountain High, the terrain has been horrible. I haven't been in a about a year so maybe things have changed. But I stick to bear and love it. Snow valley is a great mountain. Which is only a partial way up the mountain but gets the best snow. But if you go all the way to big bear, and get a pass for snow summit, you can use it at snow summit/bear mountain. 2 for 1.
FJBOARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Zombaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 175
Default

IMO Bear and Snow Summit are the best in so cal. Mt High is ok (I only go there cause its closer to LA for day trips). However, growing up on the east coast, all of the so cal resorts remind me of east coast hills. Typically icy man-made hardpack that softens during the day.

Bear is great if you're into park, and pretty good for cruising some groomers too (likewise for Snow Summit). Mt High has less park features, gets really crowded, and isn't able to make as much snow as Bear / SS. Plus these two are going to be way closer to San Diego.

Some natural snow places also exist but are much smaller in Mt Baldy and Mt Waterman (only open on weekends) near LA.

If you can make trips to Mammoth, I highly recommend it. Vastly bigger resort than anything in so cal, world class parks, and great snow conditions. If you're into backcountry riding there's a ton in the Eastern Sierra. I have no idea how long a trip from San Diego would be tho- maybe 8 hrs?
Zombaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
jdang307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,812
Default

Slim pickings here in So Cal. Also in San Diego. We pay for the very good weather. Mt. High is ok ... but wouldn't be my first choice. But it's easiest to get to. Bear/Summit is small. 250 acres each or so. Mt. high is tiny, very small, at least the main resort. East resort is longer but still not all that great.

It's ok, but me and my crew make trips each year to real resorts. Denver, Tahoe, etc. Going to Seattle in two weeks.

I have not yet been to Mammoth, but that's the mountain to go to if you are driving. It's a long drive. 7-8 hours. All of my friends who have gone to Squaw, Breck, Keystone, Canyons, Park City, still like Mammoth the best. They love the other places (especially Squaw) but they like Mammoth for the way the mountain is setup.

We are all inbound riders so those opinions are talking about that. No sidecountry stuff.

The best time to visit is after it snows. It is icy and slushy especially during spring. But we just went this past Sunday (Snow Summit) and it was nice. Snowed lightly for two days so it was soft all around, 6"-12" at the top. Hey, that's not bad for So Cal!

So Cal is for park.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
mixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: so cal
Posts: 616
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
We pay for the very good weather.
yup. It was 70 degrees today where I work. I wear a jacket inside my cold ofice and take it off to go outside at lunch


Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
I have not yet been to Mammoth, but that's the mountain to go to if you are driving. It's a long drive. 7-8 hours. All of my friends who have gone to Squaw, Breck, Keystone, Canyons, Park City, still like Mammoth the best. They love the other places (especially Squaw) but they like Mammoth for the way the mountain is setup.
that makes me feel better about spending so much time at mammoth and not going elsewhere. With my effed up work schedule it's just the easiest for me to do last minute storm chasing trips. I have commitment issues which keep me from planning trips to other faraway resorts that require flying. However Squaw is in the future fo sho.



Also Im going to be the total outlier here and just come out and say it

I FUCKING LOVE MOUNTAIN HIGH.


because it's 45 minutes from my house. Because last year they'd give me 25 dolla lift tickets for showing them my mammoth season pass.
Because I can do weekday laps on the jump runs. Because the people watching is SO. DAMN. GOOD.

Embrace the icy man made hard pack!!!! I do.
__________________
if a cat fucked a shark, the babies would be called women. snowklinger

Last edited by mixie; 01-04-2013 at 11:21 PM.
mixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 216
Default

You say youve been boarding for 14 yrs? Then id guess 20-something yr old wannabe-gangster white folk isnt your thing hahaha. Its also crowded, narrow runs with idiots sitting in approach/landing zones on features and jibs and like 5 ppl waiting to drop in anyway. I go here for day trips cuz the drive is easy and night session isnt as bad. Also I think the snow stays softer for longer because it doesn't get as cold at night compared to Bear, but during the day it's Bear all the way.

Neither of these resorts have Cali resident deals on tickets.

Last edited by onthefence; 01-04-2013 at 11:54 PM.
onthefence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
dopamean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Alyeska → Vail
Posts: 267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deimus85 View Post

Also, anyone fly with their gear ever? Is it more expensive than checking a 50 lb paintball gearbag?

-Michael
When I fly, I jam ALL my gear into the bag with my board, zip it up and grab smart-karts to get that heavy bitch around since I don't have a fancy wheel-bag.

Shit is cheap, but when the TSO sees you lug that load onto the belt for them to check, they're already thinking Chiropractor!
__________________
SNOWBOARD SCORE 2012/13
__________________

Loveland: 1
Keystone: 4
Breckenridge: 4
Vail: 2
Beaver Creek: 0
Arapahoe Basin: 4
Copper: 0
Winter Park: 0
Alyeska: 3
dopamean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
jdang307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,812
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixie View Post
yup. It was 70 degrees today where I work. I wear a jacket inside my cold ofice and take it off to go outside at lunch




that makes me feel better about spending so much time at mammoth and not going elsewhere. With my effed up work schedule it's just the easiest for me to do last minute storm chasing trips. I have commitment issues which keep me from planning trips to other faraway resorts that require flying. However Squaw is in the future fo sho.



Also Im going to be the total outlier here and just come out and say it

I FUCKING LOVE MOUNTAIN HIGH.


because it's 45 minutes from my house. Because last year they'd give me 25 dolla lift tickets for showing them my mammoth season pass.
Because I can do weekday laps on the jump runs. Because the people watching is SO. DAMN. GOOD.

Embrace the icy man made hard pack!!!! I do.
Mt High is ok ... but the runs are so short. You feel like you're on the lift all day and their lifts are super slow. Get off the lift, blink, you're at the bottom.

Squaw is awesome. Make sure you get there, because squaw plus Alpine is pretty hard to beat.

Everyone loved the terrain at Squaw, but they just say it's easier to get around at mammoth, the way it's laid out. I have no clue, I've never been but will finally be going next month. I've had free tickets the past two years but it never worked out schedule wise.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Deimus85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: 609
Posts: 301
Default

Thanks for all the advice so far guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombaco View Post

If you can make trips to Mammoth, I highly recommend it. Vastly bigger resort than anything in so cal, world class parks, and great snow conditions. If you're into backcountry riding there's a ton in the Eastern Sierra. I have no idea how long a trip from San Diego would be tho- maybe 8 hrs?
Google maps says it is 6 hours and 17 minutes from SD to Mammoth. Of course, that is in ideal driving conditions that never exist in Southern Cali.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthefence View Post
You say youve been boarding for 14 yrs? Then id guess 20-something yr old wannabe-gangster white folk isnt your thing hahaha. Its also crowded, narrow runs with idiots sitting in approach/landing zones on features and jibs and like 5 ppl waiting to drop in anyway. I go here for day trips cuz the drive is easy and night session isnt as bad. Also I think the snow stays softer for longer because it doesn't get as cold at night compared to Bear, but during the day it's Bear all the way.

Neither of these resorts have Cali resident deals on tickets.
I am assuming that you are talking about Mt. High?

Does Mammoth do CA resident deals?
Deimus85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Zombaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 175
Default

There's no CA residence deals at mammoth either. If you book lift tix in advance, 14+ days they'll give you a %age off (more days bigger %age off). Occasionally some of the resorts will have specials though. Like Bear is having a special for their 60th anniversary, for $60 tix. I don't remember the exact days off hand but it's soon and probably on the site.
Zombaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:01 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums