Keeping the board straight - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Keeping the board straight

Ok so I went out this past weekend and let go of my fears of going fast! I tried to keep the board flat when I could to pick up speed.

I would like to know should keeping the board straight downhill be a slight struggle?

I had to lean back towards the tail, put pressure on the balls of my back foot just to fight what seemed to be the natural movement of the board. It felt like my board wanted to not be directly under my body.

During my run I changed my angles from +21/-21 to +19/-19 and it seemed to keep my board more straight downhill.

Should I keep playing with angles until I find the right one where I don't have to fight my board or go for what feel natural to my feet and use foot control to keep my board straight?
nitrousape06 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 01:36 PM
Member
 
Faru1004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: DMV
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
im not an expert but i'll give you my opinion.

Im guess you are a beginner?

A. Flat board to gain speed = no
B. Learn to ride on edge(heel or toe)
C. speed means nothing if you don't have control.
D. Changing angles won't change anything unless you start riding on edge

There are tons of videos on youtube.

Last edited by Faru1004; 12-03-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Faru1004 is offline  
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 01:46 PM
Senior Member
 
triumph.man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
flatbasing?
triumph.man is offline  
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 01:51 PM
Member
 
Faru1004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: DMV
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Faru1004 is offline  
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member
 
Mystery2many's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Steamboat Springs
Posts: 2,218
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
It can be a lot of things.

What board are you riding? Is it a rocker
Is your boot centered over board with even over hang?
Are you knees bent and body loose centering your weight?

Your angles are a bit extreme duck. If you've learned some edge control and are starting to bring your turns together it's time to go -15/15 or somewhere in there that feels comfortable.

If you have a rocker board you will have trouble keeping it straight.
Mystery2many is offline  
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faru1004 View Post
im not an expert but i'll give you my opinion.

Im guess you are a beginner?

A. Flat board to gain speed = no
B. Learn to ride on edge(heel or toe)
C. speed means nothing if you don't have control.
D. Changing angles won't change anything unless you start riding on edge

There are tons of videos on youtube.
I not a complete beginner. But I know how to control my board. Thanks for the link I looked over it quickly I think it will help.
nitrousape06 is offline  
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 02:15 PM
Member
 
Faru1004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: DMV
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrousape06 View Post
I not a complete beginner. But I know how to control my board. Thanks for the link I looked over it quickly I think it will help.
maybe i misunderstood your question lol enjoy the season
Faru1004 is offline  
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member
 
KIRKRIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,999
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrousape06 View Post
Ok so I went out this past weekend and let go of my fears of going fast! I tried to keep the board flat when I could to pick up speed.

I would like to know should keeping the board straight downhill be a slight struggle?

I had to lean back towards the tail, put pressure on the balls of my back foot just to fight what seemed to be the natural movement of the board. It felt like my board wanted to not be directly under my body.

During my run I changed my angles from +21/-21 to +19/-19 and it seemed to keep my board more straight downhill.

Should I keep playing with angles until I find the right one where I don't have to fight my board or go for what feel natural to my feet and use foot control to keep my board straight?


Try also both positive angles if you like to go fast.... like +23 + 18 see how that feels.

2015/16 -3- Kirkwood days
Arbor A-Frame 158 2009-10
Jeremy Jones Hovercraft 156, 2011/12
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06
KIRKRIDER is offline  
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery2many View Post
It can be a lot of things.

What board are you riding? Is it a rocker
Is your boot centered over board with even over hang?
Are you knees bent and body loose centering your weight?

Your angles are a bit extreme duck. If you've learned some edge control and are starting to bring your turns together it's time to go -15/15 or somewhere in there that feels comfortable.

If you have a rocker board you will have trouble keeping it straight.
I have an all mtn board with camber between the bindings and rocker at the tips. My board is also a set back directional board (Rossignol Templar 156MW).
I have a wider stance then the boards reference (it felt more natural and allowed me to bend my knees more). Yes I bend my knees a lot at times. No I don't have much over hang. I wear a size 11.5 Nike Vapen.

I was going to changed my angles up again to see if there was any difference but I began to learn how to keep my board flat by maneuvering my feet.
This weekend I will give +15/-15 a try and see how it feels. Thanks for your suggestion.
nitrousape06 is offline  
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member
 
readimag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 833
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
21 and 21 and 19 and 19 are some crazy angles to be starting at first. Second go take a lesson and have someone tell you what they see so you can fix it on the spot. Or you need to post a video so we can tell you what we see you doing wrong. The only reason I can think of that loose board feeling you get is cause you lean back way to much. You need to have more weight on you front foot so you can engage that edge when starting a turn. So in conculsion it is not the board it is you’re riding skills that need to improve, cause if the ETT guys at signal can ride a 2x4 board they made you can figure this out with a lesson or two.

Got Wood? Pinewood Derby Snowboard: Every Third Thursday - YouTube

Last edited by readimag; 12-03-2013 at 02:33 PM.
readimag is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome