Backside 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Caffeine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Alberta (Canada)
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Backside 3

Hey guys

The backside 3 is a trick I have wanted to get down pat for awhile but I am struggling! I can't seem to rotate fully (Only about 270) and when I do, it's the sloppiest 360 ever and involves my arms flailing all over the place. It's like I am forcing the spin around rather than doing it smoothly. How to people do it so effortlessly? I know I am ready for this trick; I am not a nube. If you guys could impart any helpful tips that you found helpful when learning the backside 3 it would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers.
Caffeine is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member
 
MarshallV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 756
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you carve up the ramp to help with rotation or just force it?

I'm sure Jed has a video somewhere that'll help you out here. Got a video of yourself attempting one?

Last edited by MarshallV82; 12-08-2013 at 06:32 PM.
MarshallV82 is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 06:44 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Extremo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NH
Posts: 3,552
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Everything you need to know right here.


Extremo is offline  
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 01:33 AM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,086
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
One thing that helped me was understanding that you kind of take off blind and that your shoulders should be rotated as you pop.

By blind take off i mean that if you try to watch the lip of the jump all the way till you are in the air then even if your shoulders are rotating/rotated they will have to wait for your head to get around. This will cause a delay and flailing.

If your shoulders are not rotating/rotated as you pop you will need a lot of time to get around.

Hope this helps. I am definitely not an expert.
Justin is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 02:46 AM
Jed
Veteran Member
 
Jed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Whistler, BC
Posts: 816
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeine View Post
Hey guys

The backside 3 is a trick I have wanted to get down pat for awhile but I am struggling! I can't seem to rotate fully (Only about 270) and when I do, it's the sloppiest 360 ever and involves my arms flailing all over the place. It's like I am forcing the spin around rather than doing it smoothly. How to people do it so effortlessly? I know I am ready for this trick; I am not a nube. If you guys could impart any helpful tips that you found helpful when learning the backside 3 it would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers.
If you can post a video of yourself doing it I can probably tell you where you're going wrong. It's a little tricky to figure it out without video of you doing it since spinning is combining a whole bunch of different techniques together with the correct timing, so any one of them being off in timing will cause your spins to lose power/rotation.

The SA video already posted is quite good, so follow that as far as learning technique goes, but also be aware that there's a big difference between knowing what to do and getting your body to do it, which is where most people struggle, so if you can post a video of yourself we can analyse your technique and figure out where you're going wrong quicker.

For now, I'd recommend just practicing each step of the 360 technique on green runs first. A HUGE portion of the 360 is just getting the right timing of combining pop, spin initiation and body rotation all happening at the right time, in the right order, so you can practice all of that on a green run while imagining you're hitting a jump to really get the timing down.

Don't take it to the jump until you understand the technique and have the timing figured out on flatground/sidehits first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallV82 View Post
I'm sure Jed has a video somewhere that'll help you out here. Got a video of yourself attempting one?
I don't have a free video out for spin technique yet unfortunately, but I'm working on something pretty awesome for it though! I figure 99% of the questions I answer here are jumping, jibbing or butter related, so I'm putting together a free 'jump start' series of videos for the forum that will cover basic jumping, spinning, jibbing and butter tricks in more depth than anything else out there right now.

Hoping to get that done in the next couple weeks.

I teach snowboarding via step-by-step videos lessons at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jed; 12-09-2013 at 02:57 AM.
Jed is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Caffeine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Alberta (Canada)
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok thanks for the tips guys. I will try to get a vid of me attempting one to post up.

Cheers
Caffeine is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Caffeine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Alberta (Canada)
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
One thing that helped me was understanding that you kind of take off blind and that your shoulders should be rotated as you pop.

By blind take off i mean that if you try to watch the lip of the jump all the way till you are in the air then even if your shoulders are rotating/rotated they will have to wait for your head to get around. This will cause a delay and flailing.

If your shoulders are not rotating/rotated as you pop you will need a lot of time to get around.

Hope this helps. I am definitely not an expert.
This helps greatly. Thanks!
Caffeine is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome