Help me stop pressuring my back foot! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 229
Default Help me stop pressuring my back foot!

An off shoot of the "Pressuring The Front To Start A Turn" thread...

I've been very conscious of late that my snowboarding technique is, well, shit. I mean, I can board most slopes and go a decent speed and my edge control if fairly good. But my actually style is poor and it leads to (a) a sore back leg and (b) problems progressing.

My first problem is that my boots are too big but I'm addressing that with new boots I'm currently breaking in. But I've also noticed that my weight isn't centred and my pressure is on my back foot (which is odd as I'm right footed and a goofy rider). My front leg isn't as bent either.

Any tips on how to address this? I'm not a beginner (60+ days last year, maybe another 60 over the previous 5) so I've already become "comfortable" with these bad habits so I'm really look for how I can address it rather than learn it. While riding if I note it I try and force myself to even the weight out but it feels unnatural and I lose some control. I also revert to the normal as soon as I am no longer conscious of it. And I flat out can't seem to get the two legs bent evenly. Standing still, fine, but as soon as I'm heading down hill...

I am thinking of getting a private lesson but I thought I'd see what the good folks of SBF thought first!

(Do I need to post a vid?)
RagJuice Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-13-2013, 07:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 451
Default

Bend your knees bounce up and down.
Heel side = get your but to the ground like you're sitting in a chair would be the most simple explanation.
You gotta be aggressive, no half ass stuff
jml22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned!
 
snowklinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: L-Town
Posts: 4,664
Default

grow balls.
__________________
Support Local Business
"Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!" - Ash
snowklinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 229
Default

jml - thanks, it's a start
snowklinger - Nope, I've tried various mental gymnastics to figure out how acknowledging I'm doing it wrong would equate to not having the balls to do so, to no avail. Thanks though - to be fair, it's usually the right advice!
RagJuice Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 242
Default

Friend of mine was having a similar problem. The internet told him to go to the bunny slope, strap in ONLY his front foot and start riding. You can't put pressure/rudder with your rear leg if it's not strapped in. It seemed to help him and may be worth a shot.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Outlander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Posts: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagJuice Crew View Post
An off shoot of the "Pressuring The Front To Start A Turn" thread...

I've been very conscious of late that my snowboarding technique is, well, shit. I mean, I can board most slopes and go a decent speed and my edge control if fairly good. But my actually style is poor and it leads to (a) a sore back leg and (b) problems progressing.

My first problem is that my boots are too big but I'm addressing that with new boots I'm currently breaking in. But I've also noticed that my weight isn't centred and my pressure is on my back foot (which is odd as I'm right footed and a goofy rider). My front leg isn't as bent either.

Any tips on how to address this? I'm not a beginner (60+ days last year, maybe another 60 over the previous 5) so I've already become "comfortable" with these bad habits so I'm really look for how I can address it rather than learn it. While riding if I note it I try and force myself to even the weight out but it feels unnatural and I lose some control. I also revert to the normal as soon as I am no longer conscious of it. And I flat out can't seem to get the two legs bent evenly. Standing still, fine, but as soon as I'm heading down hill...

I am thinking of getting a private lesson but I thought I'd see what the good folks of SBF thought first!

(Do I need to post a vid?)
Old habits are tough to break. One thing that can help to develop the muscle memory for this is to actively push a little against your rear binding to shift your hips toward the nose of the board. This will naturally cause you to flex your front knee more.

What are your stance angles? If you are riding a duck stance, angling the rear binding back another 3-6 degrees also helps some people find a better, more comfortable range of motion to shift forward.
Outlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
jdang307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,802
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
grow balls.
Yeah, that's about it right there. About 60 days in you've developed the bad habit. Leaning on your back leg while your front leg is straight? You gotta spend the whole day on steeps with your body centered and you will eventually get used to it.

How steep are your slopes? Go steeper. I can't imagine tackling steeps in the back seat like that. You'll be on your ass the whole time.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Jed
Veteran Member
 
Jed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Whistler, BC
Posts: 756
Default

Yeah, this is going to take some work (bad habits suck to break).

A couple suggestions:

1) More forward lean on your bindings (particularly the front one - but you can't really just put more forward lean on one binding... that would be weird on heelside turns, so put it on both)

If you're not bending your front leg, putting more forward lean on your binding will force you to bend that leg. It's an old trick instructors sometimes use to force beginners to bend their knees because you can't not have your knees bent if you have lots of forward lean.

As you get more used to keeping your front leg bent, you can start reducing the amount of forward lean back to lower amounts (assuming you want to - some people like lots of forward lean).

2) Pretend you're a teapot

Stick your front hand out in front of you and pretend that your front hand is the spout of a teapot. Now you want to pour a little tea out of your spout every time you turn. This will force you to stop riding so back foot and put more weight forward each time you turn.

This works best on slightly steeper terrain, but the same principle applies on less steep terrain.
__________________
I teach snowboarding via step-by-step videos lessons at Snomie.com - How To Snowboard Videos, Snowboard Tips & Snowboard Lessons
Jed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 229
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
Yeah, that's about it right there. About 60 days in you've developed the bad habit. Leaning on your back leg while your front leg is straight? You gotta spend the whole day on steeps with your body centered and you will eventually get used to it.

How steep are your slopes? Go steeper. I can't imagine tackling steeps in the back seat like that. You'll be on your ass the whole time.
Less bent, not straight. Straighter. Nice idea on the steeps but I ride pretty much anything inbounds, just the wrong way as it turns out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlander View Post
Old habits are tough to break.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed View Post
Yeah, this is going to take some work (bad habits suck to break).
Was afraid you were going to say that...



On the bright side, took on board some of the hints and tips in this thread and made huge progress today (much quicker than I had hoped too), so thank you all!

I have avoided changing my stance for now as I'm riding ducky so I can improve my switch riding - it was doing this that highlighted the flaws in my regular riding, as is so often the case - so figured I'd try the rest first.

So, new boots are (almost) completely broken in. And to be honest that probably made the single biggest difference. Wearing a better fitting pair of boots immediately made improvements easier and lessened the flaw itself. Throughout the day I did a lot of one footing to get a feel for it, did the whole tea pot thing, actively pushed against the rear binding and really bent my knees in to it (so thank you in particular to Jason, Jed, Outlander and JML). Also made a point of, along with the "pushing against the rear binding", shifting my weight to what felt like more to the front and bending my front leg what felt like more than the back, which resulted in things actually being more balanced and even. That was stellar advice Outlander, nice one.

The more I did it the more it felt natural. Add in the new boots and I could feel the effect of my bindings more, my turns were naturally led by my front more than my back, and I spent the day smiling. Still not quite there, obviously, but felt like progress I actually enjoyed myself more on the mountain than I have for weeks. Kudos lads.



TL;DR - tried some shit, saw great improvements, thank you!
RagJuice Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Jed
Veteran Member
 
Jed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Whistler, BC
Posts: 756
Default

Awesome man, glad it's working out, those bad habits can be a tough nut to crack but it looks like you're making good progress.
__________________
I teach snowboarding via step-by-step videos lessons at Snomie.com - How To Snowboard Videos, Snowboard Tips & Snowboard Lessons
Jed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:57 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums