Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Tips, Tricks And Snowboard Coaching (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/tips-tricks-snowboard-coaching/)
-   -   Second time snowboarding (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/tips-tricks-snowboard-coaching/114457-second-time-snowboarding.html)

TedBundy 12-27-2013 02:50 AM

Second time snowboarding
 
Did not go well at all did way better the first time I do not know if it was the type of board or just me. I went to mountain high in California and I just felt like my toes were hanging over really bad. I could not find any type of balance I was braking the whole time.. Im not sure what type of snowboard it was but I think directional because he asked if I was goofy or regular and got me a certain board.

wrathfuldeity 12-27-2013 03:16 AM

Lessons.....

Flylo 12-27-2013 03:30 AM

Hi mate, more than likely he would've asked if you were natural or goofy so that he could pick a board that already had the bindings fixed the right way :)

Don't stress too much about your second day not being so good, I don't think anyones second day was all that great. (Not even Terje!)

It's very important for your boots to have an equal amount of overhang on both the toe and heelside, because if there's more overhang on your toeside it will be difficult to initiate a heelside turn (and vice versa).

Take your board back to the rental mob and ask them if they wouldn't mind centering your boots for you (or do it yourself).

Keep at it mate, it'll all connect together sooner or later. It's already been mentioned, but lessons would be a great idea too :)

Short video explaining centering bindings: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK7X2...HypRdZlk7lzJ4c

The Deacon 12-27-2013 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity (Post 1373969)
Lessons.....

*1
money invested in increasing the value of the day's lift ticket and future lift tickets. Also, make sure they give you a board based on your weight, not height. And don't be shy about checking your board before you head out. Strap your boots in the binders and check your overhangs to make sure they're centered and have the correct amount of overhang.

Stick with it, day two being harder is not uncommon. :thumbsup:

Flylo 12-27-2013 05:29 AM

And regarding those lessons, if a friend or family member has offered to teach you, it's still a wise move to go with an instructor first. Not only are they qualified for the job, (no matter how good your friend is) learning can be frustrating and you can't get mad and/or give up with someone you don't really know.

The very reason I didn't teach my gf, lol!

surfinsnow 12-27-2013 08:12 AM

More than one person told me before I started riding..."Go THREE times. Your first two times will suck and will hurt. On the third time, you'll get it." Sounded like bullshit, but damned if they weren't right. My first trip was a lesson, confined to lower mountain. On my second trip my friend said "You've had a lesson! Let's go to the top!" so we went to the top of Okemo. I thought I was going to die the next day, I was so sore. I fell a LOT. Didn't seem like I remembered anything I'd learned the first time out. I'm almost surprised I went for a third time, but I remember what my friends told me.

The third time was Stratton. My friends were right! It all clicked. I was able to ride top-to-bottom with minimal falls (but lots of braking) and a lot more confidence, and found I really, really loved snowboarding. That was 15 years ago. Still love it.

After that third trip I knew I was a lifer and went out and got my first board, a basic Liquid/K2 package from Sports Authority. It was fine for my ability level, but I upgraded to a high-end board at the end of season clearance sales. Moral of the story...stick with it. The first two times are just to see if you really want to ride!

surfinsnow 12-27-2013 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flylo (Post 1374081)
And regarding those lessons, if a friend or family member has offered to teach you, it's still a wise move to go with an instructor first. Not only are they qualified for the job, (no matter how good your friend is) learning can be frustrating and you can't get mad and/or give up with someone you don't really know.

The very reason I didn't teach my gf, lol!

There is a sign in the base lodge at Mt. Mansfield (Stowe) that says "Friends Don't Teach Friends How To Snowboard."

snowklinger 12-27-2013 09:03 AM

i heard knitting is getting popular...

slyder 12-27-2013 09:14 AM

well now you can look forward to enjoying that 3rd time out.

Like surfinsnow said, it also took me 3x's out to really click or get the hang of it. I was not new to snow sports either. So I understood edging, pressure, balance, how to use the lift and really what to expect in terms of being at a resort.
Everything is new and intimidating at 1st. Including the pressure you put on yourself and perceived pressure that usually isn't there. IE if I crash I'll clog the mountain, what if I fall in the lift line, getting on or off the lift.

I taught my daughter and I still stress everyone starts at the same point !!!!
Get out there and enjoy everyone gets better with practice, just take small steps.

speedjason 12-27-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfinsnow (Post 1374185)
More than one person told me before I started riding..."Go THREE times. Your first two times will suck and will hurt. On the third time, you'll get it." Sounded like bullshit, but damned if they weren't right. My first trip was a lesson, confined to lower mountain. On my second trip my friend said "You've had a lesson! Let's go to the top!" so we went to the top of Okemo. I thought I was going to die the next day, I was so sore. I fell a LOT. Didn't seem like I remembered anything I'd learned the first time out. I'm almost surprised I went for a third time, but I remember what my friends told me.

The third time was Stratton. My friends were right! It all clicked. I was able to ride top-to-bottom with minimal falls (but lots of braking) and a lot more confidence, and found I really, really loved snowboarding. That was 15 years ago. Still love it.

After that third trip I knew I was a lifer and went out and got my first board, a basic Liquid/K2 package from Sports Authority. It was fine for my ability level, but I upgraded to a high-end board at the end of season clearance sales. Moral of the story...stick with it. The first two times are just to see if you really want to ride!

haha that is so true. first two days were brutal for me but third day, things were all linked up perfectly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfinsnow (Post 1374201)
There is a sign in the base lodge at Mt. Mansfield (Stowe) that says "Friends Don't Teach Friends How To Snowboard."

oh god, I was gonna teach my buddy how to snowboard. guess its a bad idea.:huh:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2