Please criticize my snowboarding technique! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2014, 11:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7
Default Please criticize my snowboarding technique!

Hey guys

Reading some threads in this forum made me realize my snowboarding technique is probably way off...

I go snowboarding once a year and in total I went 4 weeks so far.
I've never taken classes (which I will do next month!), so some things are definitely wrong.

I made a compilation of some of last year's runs and tried assessing my own technique.

Here it is:



This is what I figured out; please correct me if I'm wrong!
I've noticed that most of the time I'm not bending through my knees properly. Sometimes I'm just leaning forward, while my back should be straight (?).

When looking at some footage I noticed I'm leaning black slightly. I'd probably be better of leaning forward a bit more.

Something weird is going on with my rotation of my lower/upper body.
I'm a regular rider and I feel like I'm always bringing my right side forward in order to face downhill with more of my chest/right arm instead of my left side (does that make sense?)

Another thing I noticed is how strangely my right knee seems to bend/rotate inwards in some situations, while my left (front) knee/leg stays straight.

Is it correct if I assume that I should be able to put two metal pins (figuratively) in my board where my feet are located and attach these to my shoulders, so they're always aligned?


I'd really appreciate all feedback!
Appelsien is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-04-2014, 02:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Norway
Posts: 210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appelsien View Post
I go snowboarding once a year and in total I went 4 weeks so far.
I've never taken classes (which I will do next month!), so some things are definitely wrong.
looks like you're progressing well for a short time mate. great job getting some footage together, im sure there are a few people on here that could give you some great advise.

good luck with your lesson and keep having fun!
tradnwaves4snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 451
Default

Bend your knees more, lean down the hill and initiate turns with your front foot.
Probably best to ride with your shoulders closed for now.
Bend your knees more
Get your butt lower for heel side.
How to Carve on a Snowboard Regular - How to Snowboard - YouTube
Carving Lesson for Snowboarders - YouTube

Have to be aggressive, the hardest part about progressing is getting used to the fact you're accelerating most of the time and to bleed off speed you throw a speed check or use the terrain to slow you down.
jml22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
CERBERUS.lucid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Born'n'Raised. MAUI, HAWAII...currently passing through Cali
Posts: 237
Default

Have not heard that song in awhile... intro to "Appleseed"
CERBERUS.lucid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
cozmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 165
Default

With that name u must be dutch

Sound advice above, one thing that i saw is in the part where u say ur smooth and it feels well. That part looks pretty good, but try to imagine your back hand glued to your back leg. My snowboard teacher told me to even hold my pants between my fingers. If you look at other boarders (especially in the EU as i understand it) most have poor style/technique and do a lot of rudder steering with the back hand. I also do it when i'm in above my skill level.

The other thing is the shoulders turned forward thing, looks weird. I think the correct stance is shoulders aligned with the board.

Last edited by cozmo; 01-04-2014 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Coconuts
cozmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7
Default

Thanks for the advice so far, all of you! Really appreciate it

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradnwaves4snow View Post
looks like you're progressing well for a short time mate. great job getting some footage together, im sure there are a few people on here that could give you some great advise.

good luck with your lesson and keep having fun!
Thanks! I borrowed my mate's GoPro last year and I did most of the filming that trip. Got some footage of me boarding (result is in the OP), but most of it is from the first days. I always need a few days to get used to boarding again after a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml22 View Post
Bend your knees more, lean down the hill and initiate turns with your front foot.
Probably best to ride with your shoulders closed for now.
Bend your knees more
Get your butt lower for heel side.
How to Carve on a Snowboard Regular - How to Snowboard - YouTube
Carving Lesson for Snowboarders - YouTube

Have to be aggressive, the hardest part about progressing is getting used to the fact you're accelerating most of the time and to bleed off speed you throw a speed check or use the terrain to slow you down.
Thank you for your advice! With leaning down the hill I guess you mean leaning forwards, as in putitng more pressure on my front foot?

During the fifth or sixth day I guess I did something close to carving (looks like the last thing in my vid (of which I was not sure if it was correct technique) but I was putting my body into it way more (effectively putting my butt behind the board)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozmo View Post
With that name u must be dutch

Sound advice above, one thing that i saw is in the part where u say ur smooth and it feels well. That part looks pretty good, but try to imagine your back hand glued to your back leg. My snowboard teacher told me to even hold my pants between my fingers. If you look at other boarders (especially in the EU as i understand it) most have poor style/technique and do a lot of rudder steering with the back hand. I also do it when i'm in above my skill level.

The other thing is the shoulders turned forward thing, looks weird. I think the correct stance is shoulders aligned with the board.
Thank you for your advice! And yeah, I'm from Belgium

The thing is, I look around a lot on the slopes, but like you said, I do believe many people don't really have good technique (like me ) so it's hard to know who you should 'copy' and who you should ignore.

I see a lot of people swinging their hands about like they want to lift off. Constantly stomping on their back foot seems like a common thing as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CERBERUS.lucid View Post
Have not heard that song in awhile... intro to "Appleseed"
You're welcome
Appelsien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Resident poet
 
wrathfuldeity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bham
Posts: 3,722
Default

-close your shoulders
-glue your elbows to your ribs...you don't need flaying arms/hands...instead
-use your leading knee...drive it toeside and swing it toward the nose heel side
when you are toeside turn...you are rotated open and looking left/back over your shoulder down hill...don't do that
-you are fairly stiff....loosen up...get more dynamic ...get going up and down in your knees....really drive your leading knee and shoulder into the turns. By getting low...try this drill...crouch down in the knees (not over) keep your back straight (not hunched)...rest your forearms/elbows on your knees (open your knees abit) and do a whole run crouched this way...get the feel of turning from this position...it doesn't take much movement. then start moving up/down in your turns...really drive yourself be getting on the nose...get comfortable with big open turns and start tightening them so that you rail a turn...then make the railed turns quicker.
-find some folks that are better and go mobbing with them....just follow and keep up...you will surprise yourself.

Ur doing nicely...low intermediate level...start bring it up to a solid intermediate.
__________________
wrathfuldeity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity View Post
-close your shoulders
-glue your elbows to your ribs...you don't need flaying arms/hands...instead
-use your leading knee...drive it toeside and swing it toward the nose heel side
when you are toeside turn...you are rotated open and looking left/back over your shoulder down hill...don't do that
-you are fairly stiff....loosen up...get more dynamic ...get going up and down in your knees....really drive your leading knee and shoulder into the turns. By getting low...try this drill...crouch down in the knees (not over) keep your back straight (not hunched)...rest your forearms/elbows on your knees (open your knees abit) and do a whole run crouched this way...get the feel of turning from this position...it doesn't take much movement. then start moving up/down in your turns...really drive yourself be getting on the nose...get comfortable with big open turns and start tightening them so that you rail a turn...then make the railed turns quicker.
-find some folks that are better and go mobbing with them....just follow and keep up...you will surprise yourself.

Ur doing nicely...low intermediate level...start bring it up to a solid intermediate.
Thank you! Sound advice.

It's weird (but interesting) to look at myself snowboarding. Looks completely different from how I think I look

Keeping my back straight is a big one. I think I always hunch over when going toeside, to 'lean' closer to the mountain. Will have to keep that one in mind!

Will loosen up and try out that drill

I agree with going with people who are better than yourself. Every year I go with people who've been skiing for more than 15 years. They really bust my balls Too bad none of them can snowboard really well, so I had to learn by looking around and trying stuff out.

Thanks again!
Appelsien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Noreaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 410
Default

Do this exercise: bring your left arm across your body and just rest it there, drop your right arm down and grab pant leg. That will force you to close your shoulder and quiet down your right arm. Get lower in your left knee and turn it out more, that will help you control the board with your leading leg.
Noreaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreaster View Post
Do this exercise: bring your left arm across your body and just rest it there, drop your right arm down and grab pant leg. That will force you to close your shoulder and quiet down your right arm. Get lower in your left knee and turn it out more, that will help you control the board with your leading leg.
Sounds like an effective exercise. Would I be holding my right shoulder with my left arm then? Or just leaving it somewhere on my ribs.


Thanks!
Appelsien is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:37 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums