Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (
-   Tips, Tricks And Snowboard Coaching (
-   -   Backside trouble! (

chomps1211 03-13-2014 06:48 PM

Backside trouble!
No! Not hemorrhoids! ;)

I have been trying to get some buttering tricks down, pressed 180's with/without ollies or nollies. Trying to get some pressed 360's down etc. While I can do a few of these fairly well frontside, both reg and switch. I am having some real trouble commiting to any of them backside.

It isn't just fear/nervousness over turning my back to the fall line, (...although I suspect that does play some part.) i am having a lot of trouble getting on, and feeling balanced and in control on my toeside edge when pressed. This makes it hard for me to set up for any backside spins, moves!

I am riding Cartels on all three boards and without an adjustable heel cup, they are as centered as I can make them. But, I do have ever so slightly more heel overhang than toe! Maybe as much as .5 to .75 in.

Would I be well advised to shift that extra little bit of overhang to my toeside edge to gain the control I'm after? I figure I could compensate for any loss of heelside response with my forward lean. Any thoughts, advice on whether or not I'm on the right track?

stan_darsh 03-13-2014 07:51 PM

maybe just try doing them on flat without moving to get comfortable with the motion. start to initiate the turn with your arms etc and let your lower body follow. it's probably just that you are more comfortable turning one way etc...

also try spinning (without pressing) while riding both fronstide and backside as you go down the hill. it'll make you way more comfortable going both ways and will build up your switch riding in the process

slowandlow 03-13-2014 08:12 PM

I had to overcome this same fear when I started riding again after taking several years off.

Exactly what Stan said. Flat, controlled spins. Perioette your way down a gentle hill. As you become more comfortable w/ the motion of turning your back to the fall line, you can start to exaggerate the motion and roll up on your tips. I wouldn't go messing w/ your stance.

chomps1211 03-13-2014 09:09 PM

That's just it guys,.. I have been comfortable doing front & backside flat spins since last season. I can do regular and switch frontside nose roll and tail roll 180's. I can hold and ride a straight tail press. I can even hold a straight nose press for a few yards before I start to feel sketchy.

This past week, I was working to get another butter trick down,.. I dont know what you call it, if I was doing this move on a box or rail, I believe it would be a frontside boardslide. Basically I'm pressing the nose or tail and riding heelside with the board 90 to the fall line. again, I can do this one frontside on either the nose or tail, But I can't do that move backside either!!

I just cant seem to get up on, and hold that toeside edging well enough to keep from feeling like Im about to catch my heel edge and eat shit! :dunno:

chomps1211 03-14-2014 08:31 AM

...well, absent any feedback on the possible Pro's/Con's of gaining better toe side response by moving my extra overhang from heel to toe? Since I've got the 3 boards, I guess I'll go ahead and make that change on one of them and just see how it goes tomorrow. :dunno: The Rome GR has the newer reflex Cartels on it, and the shift from that extra heel to toe overhang will be smaller than with the older Cartels. (...reflex disk has smaller and fewer adjustment positions than the older ones.)

It's supposed to hit the mid 40's today and tomorrow, so the snow should be plenty soft for the inevitable fails! I'll let you know how it went. (If you don't see me online for a few days? .....It went badly! ;) ) :thumbsup: :giggle:

Rasse 03-14-2014 09:37 AM

Sounds like the overhang might be the thing. I would say that it's easier to get "on top of the edge" or finding the balance point when you have more overhang on the toeside. But once you find the balance point, it will be harder to keep yourself right on the balance point since the toeside-edge is more sensitive to your movements. So it has both good and bad sides to it.

How duck is your stance ? The binding angles might have something to do with it.

chomps1211 03-14-2014 09:44 AM

+18 / -12 on all three boards. +23-24(ish) stance width.

Rasse 03-14-2014 09:58 AM

It might be harder to get on the toes if the toes point more towards your nose than towards the edge.. But those angles don't sound too big. Only thing I can really think of is shifting the overhang to the toeside and just finding the sweet spot where you are well-balanced.

One thing I've noticed is that you can lean way further on the nose and tail than what feels comfortable before falling over that way. So, for the buttering tricks you could try leaning more on the nose or tail, that way you have less edge on the ground that can catch.
Sorry, pretty much nothing useful :D

Lamps 03-14-2014 10:34 AM

Cartels are pretty stiff, maybe don't crank them down, and also maybe just a hair looser on the top half of your boots?

My kid switched to Lexas, which is the female version of cartels, found she couldn't do tripods or some spins, switched back to a softer binding.

Equipment and setup is likely 5 per cent of the solution, the other 95 per cent is practice methinks.

CassMT 03-14-2014 10:48 AM


Originally Posted by Lamps (Post 1612666)

Equipment and setup is likely 5 per cent of the solution, the other 95 per cent is practice methinks.

^^^ 5 or less, don't worry about the stance and all. pay close attention when you do fall, notice why and correct it. also try not to look at your feet or board, for bs stuff i like to look where i'm going under my armpit

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome