Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Tips, Tricks And Snowboard Coaching (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/tips-tricks-snowboard-coaching/)
-   -   Tail Press and Going Straight (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/tips-tricks-snowboard-coaching/136769-tail-press-going-straight.html)

flysolo. 03-30-2014 12:13 AM

Tail Press and Going Straight
 
I keep having this problem while holding a tail press and going straight. The board always wants to turn. Sometimes, I can hold it straight, but most times, the board wants to turn. That means that my upper body isn't properly aligned but I just can't seem to figure it out. On flat ground, I can do it easily but soon as I take it to a mellow slope, it's either a hit or miss. Anyone had this problem while starting to tail press?

Jed 03-30-2014 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flysolo. (Post 1651033)
I keep having this problem while holding a tail press and going straight. The board always wants to turn. Sometimes, I can hold it straight, but most times, the board wants to turn. That means that my upper body isn't properly aligned but I just can't seem to figure it out. On flat ground, I can do it easily but soon as I take it to a mellow slope, it's either a hit or miss. Anyone had this problem while starting to tail press?

Need video to know what you're doing wrong, but here's a question, are you riding down the fall line of the slope? Typically if you're doing tail presses you want to be going straight downhill, in the same direction as the slope is slanting otherwise your board will want to turn and move towards the slant of the slope.

Also, the other big place people go wrong with their tailpresses is they try to lean back and lift their front foot up instead of shifting their bodyweight backwards and staying centered and balanced over their tail.

Kind of hard to help you without seeing video though, could be a million things you're doing wrong, but most likely you're drifting left/right because you aren't keeping your body centered over the tail of your board.

flysolo. 03-30-2014 01:18 AM

Ya the slope is sorta slanted. It's hard to find a good mellow flat slope at my local mountain. Yes my weight is tilted back good, maybe I can just post a simple tail press position at home to see if my body position is weird

Jed 03-30-2014 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flysolo. (Post 1651057)
Ya the slope is sorta slanted. It's hard to find a good mellow flat slope at my local mountain. Yes my weight is tilted back good, maybe I can just post a simple tail press position at home to see if my body position is weird

Well the slope will always be slanted downhill, but are you riding WITH the direction of the slant instead of against the slant when you try to press? That's one of the keys, otherwise it makes it harder to keep your tailpress straight (can still be done, but I wouldn't recommend learning tailpresses that way).

flysolo. 03-30-2014 01:23 AM

So I should hold the tail press in line with the slope right? Not against it? For example, tail press going downhill but the hill is sorta slanted, should I follow that line?

Jed 03-30-2014 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flysolo. (Post 1651073)
So I should hold the tail press in line with the slope right? Not against it?

Yeah. You can do them against the slope later as you get better, but I definitely wouldn't be learning to do tailpresses riding against the slant of the slope.

flysolo. 03-30-2014 01:28 AM

Thanks buddy I will try this and hopefully ill get it clicking. Big fan of snomie!!

Jed 03-30-2014 01:32 AM

No probs, happy to help, let us know how it goes.

twowheeled 03-30-2014 04:43 PM

relax when you are pressing as well. If you are really tensed up your upper body will pull the board to one side. As you practice more you will be able to steer the board while pressing so going a little off course is not a big deal.

wrathfuldeity 03-30-2014 06:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Its basically leaning back, being centered and aligned...and if u got some speed it doesn't matter as much about the slope because you got momentum in the direction of travel and you continue in that direction. But defer to Jed...I just like doing them in the fluff even though my form is bad...its a geezerly thing to do. :D


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2