Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Tips, Tricks And Snowboard Coaching (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/tips-tricks-snowboard-coaching/)
-   -   Getting in shape for riding. (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/tips-tricks-snowboard-coaching/137913-getting-shape-riding.html)

ThredJack 04-08-2014 10:24 PM

Getting in shape for riding.
 
So I have this copy of Focus T25(basically Insanity light), that I've been meaning to start. Now my question is, for anyone who might be familiar with T25 or other programs similar to it, how will this workout translate to snowboarding?

Obviously it'll get me in shape, but will it be the right kind of shape? Or will I be better off just changing my diet(which I'm working on doing regardless), and doing some kind of workout regimen that's designed with snowboarding in mind and then just running twice a week for cardio?

Ravaging Rami 04-09-2014 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThredJack (Post 1671201)
So I have this copy of Focus T25(basically Insanity light), that I've been meaning to start. Now my question is, for anyone who might be familiar with T25 or other programs similar to it, how will this workout translate to snowboarding?

Obviously it'll get me in shape, but will it be the right kind of shape? Or will I be better off just changing my diet(which I'm working on doing regardless), and doing some kind of workout regimen that's designed with snowboarding in mind and then just running twice a week for cardio?

I don't know about any specific programs, but lots of cardio is always good for helping you last longer on the slopes. I would also say workout the major muscle groups in legs (Hamstrings, Quads, etc.) and I would also recommend working out your calves. Having strong calves makes a huge difference!

andrewdod 04-09-2014 09:56 AM

Getting in shape for riding.
 
Strengthen your core, do lots of abdominal and back workouts, do push-ups bench work lots of lunges, squats, leg presses, and calf raises. Also do total body workouts, such as split jerk, power cleans, snatches, dead lifts etc. those all help strengthen your core and entire body. These can be all split up over the course of a 4 day lifting week, you wouldn't get anything out of it if you did everything in one day.

CassMT 04-09-2014 10:00 AM

i just scored a killer bowflex on craiglist , pretty stoked , my goal is to be in my best shape by Dec 7. bowflex and daily skating park are gonna be the ticket i think...and fewer croissant, damn i love fukin croisssant

ThredJack 04-09-2014 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravaging Rami (Post 1671865)
I don't know about any specific programs, but lots of cardio is always good for helping you last longer on the slopes. I would also say workout the major muscle groups in legs (Hamstrings, Quads, etc.) and I would also recommend working out your calves. Having strong calves makes a huge difference!

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewdod (Post 1671945)
Strengthen your core, do lots of abdominal and back workouts, do push-ups bench work lots of lunges, squats, leg presses, and calf raises. Also do total body workouts, such as split jerk, power cleans, snatches, dead lifts etc. those all help strengthen your core and entire body. These can be all split up over the course of a 4 day lifting week, you wouldn't get anything out of it if you did everything in one day.

I ca't be sure yet, until I actually start and see what kind of exercises are actually in it, but it sounds like this might do those things.

jimb0 04-09-2014 10:42 AM

You should be focusing on your core and girdle area. I snowboard and downhill mountain bike all summer, these are the areas that we work with all day on the mountain.

I suggest exercises like deadlifting, kettle bell swings (which are amazing for your hips /flexors and hamstrings) light squats and other full body work outs.

I did the insanity workout for two months and stopped. I also did the first P90 X for some years, they work if you stick to them and really try. But after trying kettle bells for the past two months I wont go back to anything else. It is full body, works the areas I need to be strong and flexible in and takes me about half hour to get done. Take a look at some workouts.

twowheeled 04-09-2014 11:20 AM

you want to do plyometrics. That stuff is all jumping around, doing squats, fake skiing, etc. Perfect for getting into shape for riding.

16gkid 04-09-2014 11:30 AM

Squats and Cardio will get it done!

Donutz 04-09-2014 12:11 PM

One thing that seems to get missed is isometrics. You are essentially holding a semi-squat for x minutes for each run. Neither explosive movement training nor strength training is going to specifically address that. I've been having thigh-burn issues the last couple of years, so this year during the off-season I'll be doing horse stance at least once during each gym session. I figure if I can get to the point of holding a full horse stance for 10 minutes, I can survive going down a run.

ThredJack 04-09-2014 07:49 PM

So I gather I should still do the workout, and add some things to work the right areas. Like squats and such?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2