Getting in shape for riding. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2014, 10:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
ThredJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 215
Default Getting in shape for riding.

So I have this copy of Focus T25(basically Insanity light), that I've been meaning to start. Now my question is, for anyone who might be familiar with T25 or other programs similar to it, how will this workout translate to snowboarding?

Obviously it'll get me in shape, but will it be the right kind of shape? Or will I be better off just changing my diet(which I'm working on doing regardless), and doing some kind of workout regimen that's designed with snowboarding in mind and then just running twice a week for cardio?
ThredJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-09-2014, 09:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Ravaging Rami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 37
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThredJack View Post
So I have this copy of Focus T25(basically Insanity light), that I've been meaning to start. Now my question is, for anyone who might be familiar with T25 or other programs similar to it, how will this workout translate to snowboarding?

Obviously it'll get me in shape, but will it be the right kind of shape? Or will I be better off just changing my diet(which I'm working on doing regardless), and doing some kind of workout regimen that's designed with snowboarding in mind and then just running twice a week for cardio?
I don't know about any specific programs, but lots of cardio is always good for helping you last longer on the slopes. I would also say workout the major muscle groups in legs (Hamstrings, Quads, etc.) and I would also recommend working out your calves. Having strong calves makes a huge difference!
Ravaging Rami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
andrewdod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Plymouth, NH
Posts: 544
Default Getting in shape for riding.

Strengthen your core, do lots of abdominal and back workouts, do push-ups bench work lots of lunges, squats, leg presses, and calf raises. Also do total body workouts, such as split jerk, power cleans, snatches, dead lifts etc. those all help strengthen your core and entire body. These can be all split up over the course of a 4 day lifting week, you wouldn't get anything out of it if you did everything in one day.
__________________
-Andrew
It comes and it goes. Get it while it Lasts.

Last edited by andrewdod; 04-09-2014 at 10:02 AM.
andrewdod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
-PREMIUM MEMBER-
 
CassMT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Whitefish MT
Posts: 1,860
Default

i just scored a killer bowflex on craiglist , pretty stoked , my goal is to be in my best shape by Dec 7. bowflex and daily skating park are gonna be the ticket i think...and fewer croissant, damn i love fukin croisssant
CassMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
ThredJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 215
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravaging Rami View Post
I don't know about any specific programs, but lots of cardio is always good for helping you last longer on the slopes. I would also say workout the major muscle groups in legs (Hamstrings, Quads, etc.) and I would also recommend working out your calves. Having strong calves makes a huge difference!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdod View Post
Strengthen your core, do lots of abdominal and back workouts, do push-ups bench work lots of lunges, squats, leg presses, and calf raises. Also do total body workouts, such as split jerk, power cleans, snatches, dead lifts etc. those all help strengthen your core and entire body. These can be all split up over the course of a 4 day lifting week, you wouldn't get anything out of it if you did everything in one day.
I ca't be sure yet, until I actually start and see what kind of exercises are actually in it, but it sounds like this might do those things.
ThredJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 7
Default

You should be focusing on your core and girdle area. I snowboard and downhill mountain bike all summer, these are the areas that we work with all day on the mountain.

I suggest exercises like deadlifting, kettle bell swings (which are amazing for your hips /flexors and hamstrings) light squats and other full body work outs.

I did the insanity workout for two months and stopped. I also did the first P90 X for some years, they work if you stick to them and really try. But after trying kettle bells for the past two months I wont go back to anything else. It is full body, works the areas I need to be strong and flexible in and takes me about half hour to get done. Take a look at some workouts.
jimb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
twowheeled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 105
Default

you want to do plyometrics. That stuff is all jumping around, doing squats, fake skiing, etc. Perfect for getting into shape for riding.
twowheeled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 96
Default

Squats and Cardio will get it done!
16gkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.
 
Donutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 4,595
Blog Entries: 217
Default

One thing that seems to get missed is isometrics. You are essentially holding a semi-squat for x minutes for each run. Neither explosive movement training nor strength training is going to specifically address that. I've been having thigh-burn issues the last couple of years, so this year during the off-season I'll be doing horse stance at least once during each gym session. I figure if I can get to the point of holding a full horse stance for 10 minutes, I can survive going down a run.
__________________

In retrospect, "Let's get the goat drunk"
should have been my cue to leave the party.
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
ThredJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 215
Default

So I gather I should still do the workout, and add some things to work the right areas. Like squats and such?
ThredJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:45 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums