Pop Vs Ollie off jumps - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 08:19 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Tech420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 516
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soggysnow View Post
Haha

I enjoy the pipe as a beginner, but grow fear of heights is always there...
You did a 3 year grave dig for that?
Tech420 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 12:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: So Cal - Bear Mountain
Posts: 486
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
haha I'm gonna dedicate a full day of pipe riding in honor of this thread and last night's super pipe.. thanks for digging this out of oblivion
Enigmatic is offline  
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 10:41 PM
Jed
Veteran Member
 
Jed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Whistler, BC
Posts: 815
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(edit - Wtf, I just realized SoggySnow bumped this thread from 3 years ago.)

1) Almost always aim to pop off jumps

In general, you should only be using ollie for flat surfaces and roller type features because pop is a lot more stable.

You can still get lots of air with a good pop, especially on backside spins.

2) Bigger jumps are the same difficulty (sometimes easier)

The only danger of bigger jumps is that getting the speed right is more important and you need to have enough control to be good at popping/controlling pressure because bigger jumps sometimes mean more force on you as you ride up the take-off.

Bigger jumps are actually nicer to hit once you have the speed dialled and know how to control pressure/pop properly. They're typically better maintained and the take-off/landings stay in better shape since it's only advanced riders that tend to be hitting the bigger jumps.

I teach snowboarding via step-by-step videos lessons at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jed; 01-28-2013 at 10:45 PM.
Jed is offline  
post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 09:23 AM
Senior Member
 
Soggysnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Whistler
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech420 View Post
You did a 3 year grave dig for that?
If you happened to have scrolled over my own thread, it might make more sense. I was doing my own researching freestyle technique in general. Came up in a google search.


What difference does it make how old a thread is, if someone finds it helpful. its better than making duplicates over and over. I read through the whole thread, one post made me laugh. Big deal.

Last edited by Soggysnow; 01-29-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Soggysnow is offline  
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 10:05 AM
Senior Member
 
bmaniga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Okay this looks like a good place to ask for clarity. What about park features like rails. Since I've only hit ride on rails or features that require the smallest of pop to get on I haven't had to attempt to ollie on just yet. So do you guys pop up of the set up ramp provided in the park or ollie onto rails that are say 6"< x < 24"?
bmaniga is offline  
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member
 
Casual's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 726
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Depends... If you can get on with pop and that keeps you balanced then pop. If you need to get more height to get on a rail you might need an ollie. Personally I come from a skateboarding background so I can ollie really high and it sets me up with better balance on the rail, if I pop I'm more likely to clip the rail.
Casual is offline  
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 02:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I like this thread. Interesting stuff.

Alright so here's a question for you...how does one/what does it mean to "pop off your tail"? Is that just another phrase for ollie?

Reason I ask is because a friend of mine (who's a bit better at spins/big jumps) was giving me tips on how to spin faster. I can get 540s fine, but for some reason have a tough time spinning into a 7 and beyond. He said I needed to "pop off the tail". It was said in passing so I didn't get to question him any more but...any ideas?

Sorry for the slight topic change, but I thought it was relevant.
sheepstealer is offline  
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 02:54 PM
Jed
Veteran Member
 
Jed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Whistler, BC
Posts: 815
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepstealer View Post
I like this thread. Interesting stuff.

Alright so here's a question for you...how does one/what does it mean to "pop off your tail"? Is that just another phrase for ollie?

Reason I ask is because a friend of mine (who's a bit better at spins/big jumps) was giving me tips on how to spin faster. I can get 540s fine, but for some reason have a tough time spinning into a 7 and beyond. He said I needed to "pop off the tail". It was said in passing so I didn't get to question him any more but...any ideas?

Sorry for the slight topic change, but I thought it was relevant.
Honesty, your friend's advice doesn't really make much sense.

540 spins are exactly the same technique as 720s except you pre-wind and release the spin a little harder to get that extra rotation.

I teach snowboarding via step-by-step videos lessons at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jed is offline  
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 02:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Engage_mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyInfamous'Girl View Post
Snowolf- Everytime you write something about how to do something i have to pull apart everything you say in sections and actually imagine myself performing the move. haha. Great advice for sure. You really break it down step by step. As for the pipe...next time I wonder into there Im gonna be thinking about this thread lol. Natural halfpipes Killington halfpipe

I need more practice in the real one....
Everytime I'm on this Forum and I read a snowwolf topic I tend to tell myself everytime...I NEED A PRIVATE LESSON!! but I don't see myself ever making it up to washington is it? I had a group lesson 4 years back when I started and the guy wasn't half as descriptive nor did he seem to beable to talk to people correctly...thus SNOW WOLF VIDEOs...Thanks for those at the same time..all the how to threads..especially the thread by "Master Shake" about squaring your body down the mountain...wish I read up on that one before i went this past year as I am a total rudder footing dude...need to fix that QUICK!
Engage_mike is offline  
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 03:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed View Post
Honesty, your friend's advice doesn't really make much sense.

540 spins are exactly the same technique as 720s except you pre-wind and release the spin a little harder to get that extra rotation.
That's what I figured originally. I'll be having words with my friend. He seemed to think that the only way to spin faster was to cork it by "popping off the tail" (which I'm still confused about). Hm.
sheepstealer is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome