Backyard Rail - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2008, 04:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
benr12
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Backyard Rail

I'm building a box and a rail in my backyard, and i need some advice on supplies. For the rail, i'm planning on going with a double barrel made out of PVC pipe since it's cheaper and easier to build with than metal. Will this work or is it a waste? Also, any advice on what to use for supports. I've got a very limited budget, so free stuff is best.
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-23-2008, 11:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Phenom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 649
Default

Here's an idea for one seeking free materials:

Go to a local establishment, this includes a nearby library, hospital, senior citizens' center, etc. (any public venue basically) and find a nice rail, bonus points for finding a kink rail. Take a hacksaw to the base of the supports and then just strap that baby to the roof of your car. Remember to hang a red flag from the rail while transporting it or else a cop will pull you over (you need that red flag, it's the law).

Easy, and free.
__________________
East Coast Park Rat
2008 Burton Twin 157 w/ Rome 390 Boss
2005 Burton Canyon 168 w/ Ride LS
"its ppl like you, that I would "impact damage" your face if i ever saw you
keep your mouth shut. one more time, please and thank you." -user: chingy_
Phenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
BoardTard Xtrordinair
 
Mr. Right's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,476
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenom View Post
Here's an idea for one seeking free materials:

Go to a local establishment, this includes a nearby library, hospital, senior citizens' center, etc. (any public venue basically) and find a nice rail, bonus points for finding a kink rail. Take a hacksaw to the base of the supports and then just strap that baby to the roof of your car. Remember to hang a red flag from the rail while transporting it or else a cop will pull you over (you need that red flag, it's the law).

Easy, and free.
Haha, that's hilarious, so you better not forget the red flag to not get pulled over for transport, but stealing a handrail is ok
Not knocking you, I just think thats funnier than shit.

Oh yeah, and fuck the hacksaw, get a cordless sawzall to fly through it. You could probably get a handrail removed in less than 10 minutes with one. On a side note I wouldn't reccomend using pvc because it will more than likely crumble under the weight of a human being, especially with the force you on a snowboard could throw at it.

I'd use wood if you don't know how to weld but if you came to me (I'm a welder) I could probably whip something up for you out of square metal tubing for around $100 and it would maybe take me all of 1 hour or so. Then you just need to skin it with whatever they put on those boxes to make them slick.

Check local welding shops and give them a rough drawing, you'd be suprised how quickly and inexpensively something like that could be built.

Last edited by Mr. Right; 01-23-2008 at 11:40 PM.
Mr. Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
benr12
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

My school has a fabrication shop with various welding and metalworking supplies, so if anyone could help me with how you would weld a rail together (ARC maybe?), i could get permission to build it as a side project and get my supplies from a scrapyard.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
BoardTard Xtrordinair
 
Mr. Right's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,476
Default

If you don't know how to weld I wouldn't reccomend a snowboard box or anything structural for your first project. See if the shop teacher can help you. Welding isn't exactly the type of thing you just pick up and do first try. You will be arc welding though, whether it is Mig, Flux, Stick etc. to answer your question. You will be welding on mild steel. Mig or Flux core would be your best bet because it is the easiest to learn.
Mr. Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 58
Default

well PVC works somewhat and its cheap but the best solution i have found for making PVC stronger is getting 3-5 sizes that all fit inside each other snugly and then you have an (almost) solid pipe, use some PVC cement and you are good.
Gnar_DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
SUPERGILDO
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnar_DUDE View Post
well PVC works somewhat and its cheap but the best solution i have found for making PVC stronger is getting 3-5 sizes that all fit inside each other snugly and then you have an (almost) solid pipe, use some PVC cement and you are good.
I would just fill it with quickcrete if I went that route
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 03:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
FilmerD
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Old Cutting boards will work well for the box, as long as the gaps between the boards are small.

With the rail, I like the PVC pipe idea.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 208
Default

me and a couple friends built a few boxes this summer using wood frames. we did use small metal rails for the coping, but they were easy enough to drill through with a powerdrill. also, we ordered polyethylene online for the top. it was a bit pricy but worth it, the stuff is slippery as fuck.

we did all of this with almost zero experience and ended up with a couple of solid boxes. it didnt take long either.

sorry i have no rail-building experience but i can give u more info on how to make these boxes if u want.
snowsam17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
BoardTard Xtrordinair
 
Mr. Right's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,476
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowsam17 View Post
me and a couple friends built a few boxes this summer using wood frames. we did use small metal rails for the coping, but they were easy enough to drill through with a powerdrill. also, we ordered polyethylene online for the top. it was a bit pricy but worth it, the stuff is slippery as fuck.

we did all of this with almost zero experience and ended up with a couple of solid boxes. it didnt take long either.

sorry i have no rail-building experience but i can give u more info on how to make these boxes if u want.
Where did you order the polythylene?? I've been trying to get ahold of some because I am in the process of building a little flatrail at work, I just don't have anything to skin it with.
__________________
When the fuck did we get ice cream?
Mr. Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:49 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums