newbie question - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2011, 12:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
jumpinthefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: riding the beaver
Posts: 32
Default newbie question

I just started snowboarding before christmas and im having a great time.

I read everything i can about the sport and i'm pushing myself each time I ride. I have a season pass at a small local resort and i ride 2/3 times a week.

One thing i still struggle with is going down steep grades : I often catch the rear edge of the board toe side when start a left turn to scrub speed. The board seems to flex and even if i lift my toes before starting the turn, the edge will still catch. This ruins the rythtm and i have to make a large turn to scrub of the speed i gained with the board pointing straight down for too long.

The only work around i found is to lift my rear foot a lot, almost like a small jump, before starting the turn. so the back end doesnt get caught. I was wondering if this is ok ?

Also, since i can now ride green and blue trails , i started riding switch on those same trails so i feel comfortable on both sides. Is this a good idea ? I figure than in a week or 2 i should be pretty good at it, and im already thinking what i should work on next ? my goal is to be able to jump, ride glades, and go fast on groomed trails.
jumpinthefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-21-2011, 05:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Grizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Junction of 84 and 35
Posts: 1,025
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpinthefire View Post
I often catch the rear edge of the board toe side when start a left turn to scrub speed. The board seems to flex and even if i lift my toes before starting the turn, the edge will still catch. This ruins the rythtm and i have to make a large turn to scrub of the speed i gained with the board pointing straight down for too long.
Not sure if you are goofy or regular so I don't know what edge you engage when you make a turn to the "left".

Are you saying your rear edge, toe side catches when initiating a toe side turn?

If so, focus on twisting the nose of your board into the toe side turn by flexing your front ankle and driving you knee towards the inside of the new turn. It sounds like you may be riding a little back foot heavy which is fine when you are finishing a turn but is a problem when you are trying to start a new one.

You need to center out your stance and get off the back foot a bit (not to the point of the tail comming off the snow). For now you can think about your body changing it's relationship to the board by moving forward or back to change where your pressure is centered. Over time you will have the ability to move your board in relationship to your body to cause a pressure shift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpinthefire View Post
The only work around i found is to lift my rear foot a lot, almost like a small jump, before starting the turn. so the back end doesnt get caught. I was wondering if this is ok ?
Sure it's ok. It's snowboarding, there is no right or wrong, just ways that are more efficient than others. Having said that....If you can keep all of the board in contact with the snow it will allow you to tackle difficult conditions with less trouble and be a good foundation for more advanced riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpinthefire View Post
Also, since i can now ride green and blue trails , i started riding switch on those same trails so i feel comfortable on both sides. Is this a good idea ? I figure than in a week or 2 i should be pretty good at it, and im already thinking what i should work on next ? my goal is to be able to jump, ride glades, and go fast on groomed trails.
It sounds like you are well on your way, your goals sound like a great progression.
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
jumpinthefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: riding the beaver
Posts: 32
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
Not sure if you are goofy or regular so I don't know what edge you engage when you make a turn to the "left".

Are you saying your rear edge, toe side catches when initiating a toe side turn?
if i go down a steep section with my left foot foward (im regular) , the board wont turn heelside (left) fast enough using just my front foot so once the turns starts i use my back foot to move the rear end of the board to the right to make things happen faster

no matter how i try to lift my toes, the toe edge always seems to catch towards the end of the board, especially if there is a inch or 2 of loose snow, so instead of linking turns, the boards points downhill when i try to turn left and i just go racing down the hill for 10 or 15 feets before i regain control and slow down.

This only happens on the most difficult trails i have tried, and i dont fall down or anything, but i just cant seem to link clean turns

i think you are right, its probably because something is wrong with my body position

is there any good videos i can watch to see proper technique ?
jumpinthefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 102
Default

Weight shifting is important too, u can't be too slow on it.
Lifprasir is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:34 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums