Here is how I go down steep hills. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2011, 08:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 20
Default Here is how I go down steep hills.

I live in Ontario, Canada and ride at Blue Mountain often. There's this one steep black run that is very hard packed snow with occasional icy patches. The black runs are probably tamer compared to other mountains, but this is my 1st full season boarding so I'm still getting the hang of things.

I always stop at the drop off and prep myself mentally- building up a burst of adrenaline. I point my nose straight down the fall line, get low and pick up speed which = momentum. The MTX on my Rider's Choice really seems to grip the ice. However, I could never get over that nasty ass grinding noise that sounds like skidding, which makes me think my tail could pop forward, catch an edge and eat steep shit.

Eventually I'll get near the bottom all while making big carves (or scarves)? But I'll have picked up so much bloody speed and the snow is now all uneven with random bumps that I either: plow through or absorb through my knees. I can't avoid them cause everything is happening so fast and I don't like being air born at that speed. So I try to speed check cause I'm feeling unsafe and end up washing out on my ass flung across the snow. On semi-good snow I'll ride through

So my question is:

1. How do you guys prep yourself before taking the plunge?
2. How do you start the traverse?
3. The sound is really unnerving like my tail is going to kick forward and cause me to eat hard packed shit. Is it possible I'm skidding?
4. How do you deal with high speeds over snow mounds you have to blindly absorb?
5. And finally how do you speed check going fast down a steep hill?

I'm not going to let this hill punk me like dat!

Thanks for your input

Last edited by ChiGGz; 02-06-2011 at 08:51 PM.
ChiGGz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-06-2011, 09:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Technine Icon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 1,252
Default

The most important thing when dealing with steeps is to always maintain control of your speed. You do this by really digging your edge into the snow, which will drastically slow you down. A common mistake is speed checking by skidding the board, which really does nothing but put yourself in a position to catch an edge. When it comes to snow mounds, it is important to be quick on your feet and to pick a line and constantly readjusting your line as you proceed. Either you can carve between the mounds or just bounce across the tops of them.
Technine Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Robocop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 7
Default

I was riding at Blue Friday and Saturday. All of the runs, and the top of the lift on the silver bullet were SOOOOOO icey. The wind was crazy and just blew all the snow off the peaks. It was nuts, but it was empty so that made it ok.

Last edited by Robocop; 02-06-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Robocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technine Icon View Post
The most important thing when dealing with steeps is to always maintain control of your speed. You do this by really digging your edge into the snow, which will drastically slow you down.
Does doing this properly still cause that skidding sound on icey conditions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robocop View Post
I was riding at Blue Friday and Saturday. All of the runs, and the top of the lift on the silver dart were SOOOOOO icey. The wind was crazy and just blew all the snow off the peaks. It was nuts, but it was empty so that made it ok.
Haha, ya I was riding there Friday as well. It was hella windy. I had particular issue with the ice and didn't feel as comfortable going down.
ChiGGz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Robocop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 7
Default

From about 915pm to close I had trouble just putting my bindings on while standing. and getting of the silver bullet was crap. Did you see the sweet set up on Smart Alec for the ski cross?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGGz View Post
Does doing this properly still cause that skidding sound on icey conditions?



Haha, ya I was riding there Friday as well. It was hella windy. I had particular issue with the ice and didn't feel as comfortable going down.
Robocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Technine Icon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 1,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGGz View Post
Does doing this properly still cause that skidding sound on icey conditions?

Yea, there is really not much that you can do to control your speed in icey conditions and that sound is normal if it is especially icey. All you can really do is hang on for the ride.
Technine Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9
Default

boarding on ice when its a steep downhill is tough for anyone. Because your board has nothing to dig into and change direction or slow urself down. This happens in high wind condition especially if it has been warm anytime lately. You get this layer of ice under the powder and once the wind takes it off its nasty. Anytime I hit the stuff I just let my board go down the fall line and wait til i see a pile of snow to hit a hard turn into
Yukon172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
gjsnowboarder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Grand Junction, CO
Posts: 539
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGGz View Post
I live in Ontario, Canada and ride at Blue Mountain often. There's this one steep black run that is very hard packed snow with occasional icy patches. The black runs are probably tamer compared to other mountains, but this is my 1st full season boarding so I'm still getting the hang of things.

I always stop at the drop off and prep myself mentally- building up a burst of adrenaline. I point my nose straight down the fall line, get low and pick up speed which = momentum. The MTX on my Rider's Choice really seems to grip the ice. However, I could never get over that nasty ass grinding noise that sounds like skidding, which makes me think my tail could pop forward, catch an edge and eat steep shit.

Eventually I'll get near the bottom all while making big carves (or scarves)? But I'll have picked up so much bloody speed and the snow is now all uneven with random bumps that I either: plow through or absorb through my knees. I can't avoid them cause everything is happening so fast and I don't like being air born at that speed. So I try to speed check cause I'm feeling unsafe and end up washing out on my ass flung across the snow. On semi-good snow I'll ride through

So my question is:

1. How do you guys prep yourself before taking the plunge?
2. How do you start the traverse?
3. The sound is really unnerving like my tail is going to kick forward and cause me to eat hard packed shit. Is it possible I'm skidding?
4. How do you deal with high speeds over snow mounds you have to blindly absorb?
5. And finally how do you speed check going fast down a steep hill?

I'm not going to let this hill punk me like dat!

Thanks for your input
First of "just hanging on" or you "waiting for a pile of snow to turn" really isn't a good idea. It means that you are riding out of control. An at most resorts this violates the code because you are a danger to others.

1. How do you guys prep yourself before taking the plunge? Relax, take deep breathes and make sure you have taken a warm up run or loosen up your body.
2. How do you start the traverse?
3. The sound is really unnerving like my tail is going to kick forward and cause me to eat hard packed shit. Is it possible I'm skidding? Good chance you are skidding. It is not necessarily a bad think to get sound input. If it bothers you a lot listening to music can help. If it is really icy causing a skid on purpose through the middle of your turn can aid in speed control.
4. How do you deal with high speeds over snow mounds you have to blindly absorb? Loose and realxed ankles and knees followed by actively pushing my legs back down to keep pressure on the snow.
5. And finally how do you speed check going fast down a steep hill? If it is really icy the trick is completed turns. Meaning your turn shape should look like two half circles. You can even ride back-up the slope a little against gravity to control your speed as well. If your turns are eliptical or longer in the fallline you will build up speed which can be unnerving on bullet proof snow. The suggestion to look for softer snow or places can be useful in your line selection. however getting into the habbit of relying on those spots can backfire when they aren't close by.
gjsnowboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 20
Default

When you guys say turn back up the hill, how far up are we talking about here? Need help visualizing the pattern I'm creating.
ChiGGz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Mooz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Your pants
Posts: 1,589
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGGz View Post
When you guys say turn back up the hill, how far up are we talking about here? Need help visualizing the pattern I'm creating.
It's not really about height so much as it is bleeding off momentum. When you feel your speed dying off and nearing a stop, that's the time to change your edge. Once you get comfortable with the speed (given the conditions) you can reduce how long you carry that turn uphill.
__________________
I have a word limit on my cynicism
Mooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:11 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums