Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Tips, Tricks And Snowboard Coaching (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/tips-tricks-snowboard-coaching/)
-   -   what to expect in powder days (groomed runs) (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/tips-tricks-snowboard-coaching/37787-what-expect-powder-days-groomed-runs.html)

fayewolf 02-19-2011 03:16 AM

what to expect in powder days (groomed runs)
 
So you've heard abot the snow storms in lake tahoe! I'm going there next friday!! I'm very excited, I'm going with 2 friends, one about my level (beginner can link turns), the other girl brand new, we are putting her in lesson. (all day lesson, do feel bad so she won't be able to hang out with us), but in order to preserve our friendship and lives, its the best way to go.

The thing is, I've always been riding in icy condition, hard pack snow, when you fall down, it "thugs". With all these snow, it's going to be very powdery right? Do i ride differently?

Stats: I'm 105 pounds, 5'5, and i ride GNU B-Street. And i prefer to do green , or groomed blues.

How different would I feel? easier? harder? fun? what to expect?

PanHandler 02-19-2011 03:19 AM

A LOT easier and you wont be as afraid to fall because it wont hurt as bad. I say this should be the day that you push yourself to that next step, becaue itll be relitively safe of you fall

NWBoarder 02-19-2011 01:07 PM

If you spend a powder day riding groomers, you're doing it all wrong. Just go find some stuff you wouldn't normally ride and go for it. The powder won't hurt you like the ice. And don't forget to keep your nose up. :)

freshy 02-19-2011 01:15 PM

If your riding groomers there is no need to do anything different.
If your riding powder however you should set your binding back a set of inserts. This will help keep your nose up and make your back leg less tired.

fayewolf 02-19-2011 04:25 PM

So they groom the groomer green/blue runs to a point where it is not soft anymore? It'll still be hard when I fall?

heyweswu 02-19-2011 04:32 PM

pow
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fayewolf (Post 378526)
So they groom the groomer green/blue runs to a point where it is not soft anymore? It'll still be hard when I fall?

groomed runs will be packed powder. it's not ice yet, assuming the temps stay cold enough, so it wont be as painful as there is some give, just not fluffy/pillow feeling like fresh ungroomed pow

fayewolf 02-19-2011 04:37 PM

Ok ! So, for a beginner to experience the powder, where do I go? Obviously, black or backcountry is not an option....or is soft powder not a good thing for beginner?

heyweswu 02-19-2011 04:42 PM

pow
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fayewolf (Post 378530)
Ok ! So, for a beginner to experience the powder, where do I go? Obviously, black or backcountry is not an option....or is soft powder not a good thing for beginner?

while powder is soft to fall in, it is annoying/sometimes difficult to get out of if you fall, depending on how deep the pow is. therefore for a beginner, it may frustrate her if shes spending the day digging out of deep snow. she's most likely going to be falling a lot if it's her first day, so getting the repetitions for the feel of being on a board and beginning to turn is more beneficial i think than a soft cushion. everyone gets bruised up when they start. all the more satisfying when you get it. good luck.

HoboMaster 02-19-2011 05:23 PM

Beginner's generally do not like powder because they are learning to link turns, and linking turns on a groomer follows a completely different method then it does on powder. In order to ride powder, you need to be able to link both frontside and backside turns, or else your just going to be falling, getting stuck, and becoming very frustrated.

When riding powder, the biggest thing to keep in mind is that it's like surfing. The more you try and stick in your edges and make short quick turns, the more your going to flail and fall. Riding powder is all about leaning back, getting enough speed and making smooth slow turns. The easiest way to experience powder in your situation, is on the side of groomed runs. What happens is that more often then not they don't groom the whole trail, so the sides will be normal powder, and the middle will be groomed. Just kick off the groomed run to get the powder, that way when you get frustrated your not stuck in the trees blowing a fuse.

KIRKRIDER 02-19-2011 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoboMaster (Post 378539)
Beginner's generally do not like powder because they are learning to link turns, and linking turns on a groomer follows a completely different method then it does on powder. In order to ride powder, you need to be able to link both frontside and backside turns, or else your just going to be falling, getting stuck, and becoming very frustrated.

When riding powder, the biggest thing to keep in mind is that it's like surfing. The more you try and stick in your edges and make short quick turns, the more your going to flail and fall. Riding powder is all about leaning back, getting enough speed and making smooth slow turns. The easiest way to experience powder in your situation, is on the side of groomed runs. What happens is that more often then not they don't groom the whole trail, so the sides will be normal powder, and the middle will be groomed. Just kick off the groomed run to get the powder, that way when you get frustrated your not stuck in the trees blowing a fuse.

GOLDEN advice right there.:thumbsup:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2