what to expect in powder days (groomed runs) - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
what to expect in powder days (groomed runs)

So you've heard abot the snow storms in lake tahoe! I'm going there next friday!! I'm very excited, I'm going with 2 friends, one about my level (beginner can link turns), the other girl brand new, we are putting her in lesson. (all day lesson, do feel bad so she won't be able to hang out with us), but in order to preserve our friendship and lives, its the best way to go.

The thing is, I've always been riding in icy condition, hard pack snow, when you fall down, it "thugs". With all these snow, it's going to be very powdery right? Do i ride differently?

Stats: I'm 105 pounds, 5'5, and i ride GNU B-Street. And i prefer to do green , or groomed blues.

How different would I feel? easier? harder? fun? what to expect?
fayewolf is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 02:19 AM
Veteran Member
 
PanHandler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Rathdrum, ID
Posts: 592
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
A LOT easier and you wont be as afraid to fall because it wont hurt as bad. I say this should be the day that you push yourself to that next step, becaue itll be relitively safe of you fall
PanHandler is offline  
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member
 
NWBoarder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Port Orchard, WA
Posts: 2,055
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Blog Entries: 10
If you spend a powder day riding groomers, you're doing it all wrong. Just go find some stuff you wouldn't normally ride and go for it. The powder won't hurt you like the ice. And don't forget to keep your nose up.

Oh yeah!? Well, my mom says I'm cool!
Quote:
It never gets old, if you're in it for the passion, and not the fashion
NWBoarder is offline  
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member
 
freshy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Salmon Arm BC
Posts: 1,412
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
If your riding groomers there is no need to do anything different.
If your riding powder however you should set your binding back a set of inserts. This will help keep your nose up and make your back leg less tired.
freshy is online now  
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So they groom the groomer green/blue runs to a point where it is not soft anymore? It'll still be hard when I fall?
fayewolf is offline  
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 03:32 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
pow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayewolf View Post
So they groom the groomer green/blue runs to a point where it is not soft anymore? It'll still be hard when I fall?
groomed runs will be packed powder. it's not ice yet, assuming the temps stay cold enough, so it wont be as painful as there is some give, just not fluffy/pillow feeling like fresh ungroomed pow
heyweswu is offline  
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok ! So, for a beginner to experience the powder, where do I go? Obviously, black or backcountry is not an option....or is soft powder not a good thing for beginner?
fayewolf is offline  
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 03:42 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
pow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayewolf View Post
Ok ! So, for a beginner to experience the powder, where do I go? Obviously, black or backcountry is not an option....or is soft powder not a good thing for beginner?
while powder is soft to fall in, it is annoying/sometimes difficult to get out of if you fall, depending on how deep the pow is. therefore for a beginner, it may frustrate her if shes spending the day digging out of deep snow. she's most likely going to be falling a lot if it's her first day, so getting the repetitions for the feel of being on a board and beginning to turn is more beneficial i think than a soft cushion. everyone gets bruised up when they start. all the more satisfying when you get it. good luck.
heyweswu is offline  
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 04:23 PM
Senior Member
 
HoboMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,316
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Beginner's generally do not like powder because they are learning to link turns, and linking turns on a groomer follows a completely different method then it does on powder. In order to ride powder, you need to be able to link both frontside and backside turns, or else your just going to be falling, getting stuck, and becoming very frustrated.

When riding powder, the biggest thing to keep in mind is that it's like surfing. The more you try and stick in your edges and make short quick turns, the more your going to flail and fall. Riding powder is all about leaning back, getting enough speed and making smooth slow turns. The easiest way to experience powder in your situation, is on the side of groomed runs. What happens is that more often then not they don't groom the whole trail, so the sides will be normal powder, and the middle will be groomed. Just kick off the groomed run to get the powder, that way when you get frustrated your not stuck in the trees blowing a fuse.

PowderHound and TreeNinja
HoboMaster is offline  
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member
 
KIRKRIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,980
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboMaster View Post
Beginner's generally do not like powder because they are learning to link turns, and linking turns on a groomer follows a completely different method then it does on powder. In order to ride powder, you need to be able to link both frontside and backside turns, or else your just going to be falling, getting stuck, and becoming very frustrated.

When riding powder, the biggest thing to keep in mind is that it's like surfing. The more you try and stick in your edges and make short quick turns, the more your going to flail and fall. Riding powder is all about leaning back, getting enough speed and making smooth slow turns. The easiest way to experience powder in your situation, is on the side of groomed runs. What happens is that more often then not they don't groom the whole trail, so the sides will be normal powder, and the middle will be groomed. Just kick off the groomed run to get the powder, that way when you get frustrated your not stuck in the trees blowing a fuse.
GOLDEN advice right there.

2015/16 -17- Kirkwood days
Arbor A-Frame 158 2009-10
Jeremy Jones Hovercraft 156, 2011/12
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06 - 181K
KIRKRIDER is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome