Difficulty staying on toeside turns (calves really tired) - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Difficulty staying on toeside turns (calves really tired)

With all the help here, I'm finally fairly comfortable linking my turns all the way down long a$$ green runs. Even with slightly steeper areas, I learned that by leaning on my front foot, initiating the toeside turn isn't that scary anymore, in fact it is ALOT less scary than compared weighing on the rear foot where it makes turning next to impossible.

So, I am not sure if this is user issue or my binding setup issue or my boots. I'm finding that holding the toe side edge is a bit difficult for me. I know I am suppose to rest my shin against the boots, but I felt like i can't really hold this position. When I do shallow turns, this is not a problem obviosuly. But when I try to do large S turns, I'm just scared that my toe edge won't hold and will catch the heel edge.
Now,this could be that in the past, I wasn't very good at linking turns, so i might not be on my toeside all that much, but now i'm linking turns consistently, this problem is surfacing. My calves are also very sore today, never happened before.

I have the salomon F22 2009, they are kind of stiff but comfy. Length wise fits me perfect, but i do have a heel lift due to me having the worlds smallest heel. Anything I can do to solve this issue?

My binding angle is set with no forward lean, not sure what its called... i'm not sure if i should be messing with this at this point. I have the 2009 Ride VXN.

But all in all, it took me awhile, but I can finally get down a 3 mile run (umm I still fall once or twice) with confidence. I only did a small blue run once yesterday, maybe thats why the whole time I was in confidence, my friend really wanted to practice her turns so she didn't want to go to the blues and I stayed with her, but frankly, I was a bit bored of the same run, but figured staying on the gentler slope will be good for me.
fayewolf is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 02:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My calves felt the same way when I was first ride Mountain Run. The run will kind of force you on toe side if you are regular.

I can't help you with technique but I think you can make that run more enjoyable by not staying on the groom trails. Next time you go there, try some of the following side hits:
  • Ride uphill againt Headwall, KT. Make up-side-downn turns if you can.
  • There is a Y-junction after pass the High Camp chair. I guess you always take right. Try take left next time.
  • If you stay on groomed, it is not steep but you can always ride towerd right side and get steeper non-groomed slope, you will eventually end up on the right side of Y. These are short and with flat run out.
  • You will come across a feature right under the lift where you will find some lip you can hop off to get some air if you keep staying left. There are quite a few like these.
  • Anyway, on your left is Broken Arrow. You can always ride some of it from Mountain Run and get back to Mountain Run.

I will just spin or ride switch down if I am tired
hellside is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hahha, yes! Mountain run keeps me on my heel side because I ride goofy! But this is not squaw, I just rode in north star. I went onto the Vista lift and just go down from there all the way down through village run to the village.

The word KT scares the crap out of me and I do not want any air at this point yet!! I do like squaw a bit better than northstar, there are just way too many people in the groomed area of northstar, and the lift line... omg.
fayewolf is offline  
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 03:02 PM
Veteran Member
 
Grizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Junction of 84 and 35
Posts: 1,025
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Make sure your binding has your boot centered on the board. Try to have the boot toe and heel the same distance from the edges.

As you said try some forward lean.
Grizz is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 03:27 PM
Drunk with power...er beer.
 
Donutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 5,039
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Blog Entries: 248
Pushing your shins forward helps some when going toeside, but snowboarding boots aren't rigid like ski boots, so there will be some flex. If you just expect the equipment to give you the toeside edge, you'll probably always be flatter than you expect to. When I want a good edge on a turn I consciously give it some toe pressure too -- effectively 'standing on my toes' just a bit.

On the other hand, if you're doing this too much, you could be burning out your calves from constantly pushing against your highbacks. You'll have to pay attention to exactly what you're doing when you do a toeside turn to determine where the issue is. You could just have weak calves and now you're paying for it.


Error 404. Coffee not found.
Donutz is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 03:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fayewolf View Post
Hahha, yes! Mountain run keeps me on my heel side because I ride goofy! But this is not squaw, I just rode in north star. I went onto the Vista lift and just go down from there all the way down through village run to the village.

The word KT scares the crap out of me and I do not want any air at this point yet!! I do like squaw a bit better than northstar, there are just way too many people in the groomed area of northstar, and the lift line... omg.
I made a mistake. I don't remember Vista being that long.
hellside is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm going to take a picture of my board with binding later... I think my binding is hanging a tad more on my heel side, could this be the problem? Yeah, basically i've never really do any workout that involves my calf muscle so much so I'm definately paying for it.
fayewolf is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member
 
Grizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Junction of 84 and 35
Posts: 1,025
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fayewolf View Post
I think my binding is hanging a tad more on my heel side, could this be the problem?
Possibly. Like I said above, make sure your boot is centered.
Grizz is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 07:18 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
NickCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fayewolf View Post
With all the help here, I'm finally fairly comfortable linking my turns all the way down long a$$ green runs. Even with slightly steeper areas, I learned that by leaning on my front foot, initiating the toeside turn isn't that scary anymore, in fact it is ALOT less scary than compared weighing on the rear foot where it makes turning next to impossible.

So, I am not sure if this is user issue or my binding setup issue or my boots. I'm finding that holding the toe side edge is a bit difficult for me. I know I am suppose to rest my shin against the boots, but I felt like i can't really hold this position. When I do shallow turns, this is not a problem obviosuly. But when I try to do large S turns, I'm just scared that my toe edge won't hold and will catch the heel edge.
Now,this could be that in the past, I wasn't very good at linking turns, so i might not be on my toeside all that much, but now i'm linking turns consistently, this problem is surfacing. My calves are also very sore today, never happened before.

I have the salomon F22 2009, they are kind of stiff but comfy. Length wise fits me perfect, but i do have a heel lift due to me having the worlds smallest heel. Anything I can do to solve this issue?

My binding angle is set with no forward lean, not sure what its called... i'm not sure if i should be messing with this at this point. I have the 2009 Ride VXN.

But all in all, it took me awhile, but I can finally get down a 3 mile run (umm I still fall once or twice) with confidence. I only did a small blue run once yesterday, maybe thats why the whole time I was in confidence, my friend really wanted to practice her turns so she didn't want to go to the blues and I stayed with her, but frankly, I was a bit bored of the same run, but figured staying on the gentler slope will be good for me.

half way down the mountain my calves get tired... but i deal with it or ride switch haha! youll get used to it bro or just break your boots in!!!

I <3 SNOWBOARDING!!!
NickCap is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 08:03 PM
Senior Member
 
hhaidar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
to the original poster,
Consider your "posture" when you're on your toe edge or making a toeside turn. Many beginners/intermediates have a "break" or bend at the waist on their toeside. This leads to having to tip the board more to keep from catching the heel edge. This can lead to....you guessed it, calf pain.
Practice standing "tall" on your snowboard. Keep your back straight, and your hips forward (towards the toe edge...not towards the nose!). Now squeeze your knees down towards your toes. This movement closes the ankle joint and puts pressure on the toe edge of your board.
Now the cool part. By having your body in good alignment with your hips forward, all of your body weight is over your toe edge...so its working for you! You wont need to tip the board as much, because you're getting a lot more pressure down on the edge.
Sorry for the long/techy explanation.
cliff notes. 1. check your posture. are you bending at waist? If yes, stand up taller and push hips forward towards toe edge. 2. use pressure rather than excessive tipping to turn the board toeside and to traverse on the toe edge. 3. more efficient=less sore.
hhaidar is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome