Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Tips, Tricks And Snowboard Coaching (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/tips-tricks-snowboard-coaching/)
-   -   Are there any guidelines on binding settings for little kids? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/tips-tricks-snowboard-coaching/44914-there-any-guidelines-binding-settings-little.html)

Toecutter 01-02-2012 09:03 PM

Are there any guidelines on binding settings for little kids?
 
Are there any guidelines on initial binding settings for little kids? As adults we can adjust our bindings to a position of comfort or performance based on how we feel, but ask a 7 year-old if her bindings feel good where you set them and the answer is always, "Good!" It doesn't matter if I adjust the bindings in any dimension, my daughter always says they feel good.

Is there some initial width and angle setting to use when the child can't or won't articulate nuances in adjustment? Right now I have them at 12/-12, 14" apart.

Riley212 01-02-2012 09:11 PM

put her in what looks lick a good athletic stance and measure how wide the feet are:dunno: probably shoulder witdth and the angles you said. they wont know the difference anyways.

Toecutter 01-02-2012 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riley212 (Post 460828)
put her in what looks lick a good athletic stance and measure how wide the feet are:dunno: probably shoulder witdth and the angles you said. they wont know the difference anyways.

That's pretty much how I did it. I had her jump off the ottoman onto the floor a bunch of times and went with where her feet landed.

Matt166 01-02-2012 10:41 PM

Actually the angle of that back binding can make big difference on toe turns. I always set kids up with the back binding a little less, and even less when they are really young - for 7 up I normally give them something like 15 -9 or -6. Some people will say a slightly positive angle on the back foot of really small kids (4,5 y/o) helps out, the verdict is out on that one for me, I played around with it for a while and haven't really noticed much difference.

As far as stance width goes, I cant really give you any advice on that one, I just set it up to what looks right.

Toecutter 01-02-2012 10:58 PM

I swear I read on this forum last year someone advising setting kids' angles at 0/0. IIRC she was an instructor who cited something about kids' biomechanics, but I couldn't find that thread.

I think she said that mimicking an adult position was not optimum because although the stance might look "right" to us, kids' lower extremities are different enough that our "right" and their "right" are different.

Matt166 01-02-2012 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowolf (Post 460860)
Yeah, that is really all you can do at this age. try to set them close to how they normally just stand. I like to set them duck with even angles because at this age, kids tend to move their entire body as a unit. They don`t have a whole lot of upper and lower body separation yet so in order to keep them aligned well with their board, you need to use a symmetrical stance. Having anything other than this can cause rotation issues when they try to control their board.

I disagree, I think you would be hard pushed to find a little girl that like to ride stacked up on her board. Most kids, especially girls, like to ride a little open, having less of an angle on the back binding helps them out. They don't have the strength to twist the board, and mostly rely on rotational movements of the body to turn. Most kids will ride with a good deal of separation, and not in the right way, but it is what it is.

Toecutter 01-02-2012 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt166 (Post 460870)
I disagree, I think you would be hard pushed to find a little girl that like to ride stacked up on her board. Most kids, especially girls, like to ride a little open, having less of an angle on the back binding helps them out. They don't have the strength to twist the board, and mostly rely on rotational movements of the body to turn. Most kids will ride with a good deal of separation, and not in the right way, but it is what it is.

What does "ride stacked up" mean? Straight and tall?

Matt166 01-02-2012 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toecutter (Post 460873)
What does "ride stacked up" mean? Straight and tall?


Shoulders and hips in line with the board. It has nothing to do with the amount of flexion.

Toecutter 01-02-2012 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt166 (Post 460874)
Shoulders and hips in line with the board. It has nothing to do with the amount of flexion.

I see. "A little open" therefore means pointed forward a bit, correct? That's how I learned, then gradually migrated to stacked.

I set up my daughter's bindings duck in hopes that she becomes comfortable riding switch right from the start, but do you think it's better to ride a little open until she gets things down a bit, then worry about learning to go switch later?

Matt166 01-03-2012 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toecutter (Post 460882)
I see. "A little open" therefore means pointed forward a bit, correct? That's how I learned, then gradually migrated to stacked.

I set up my daughter's bindings duck in hopes that she becomes comfortable riding switch right from the start, but do you think it's better to ride a little open until she gets things down a bit, then worry about learning to go switch later?

Yeah thats right, its mainly the shoulders that stay open, when shes on toe side. Honestly I think its because when kids learn they dont want to turn their backs to the downhill. You can spend your whole time trying to correct it, and they will have a horrible time and end up hating you, or you can roll with it and get them doing other fun stuff that encourages good posture. Like what happened with you, form can be improved when she actually feels like it and is a little more comfortable on her board.

With regards to switch, I would encourage it as soon as possible. As long as you dont go over crazy with those angles, low level switch riding shouldn't be too difficult. Kids love tricks, if she can do a little switch then flatground 180's etc are just around the corner.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2