Advices with my link turns - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 09:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4
Question Advices with my link turns



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiLwDd-9coo
Sorry for the low quality, please give me some advice on my link turns, I feel my heel to toe transition is not very smooth, any tips?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Happy shredding

Last edited by Snow Wolf; 03-05-2012 at 06:28 AM. Reason: fixed embed
yunfei is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-04-2012, 10:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: LI NY
Posts: 470
Default

Part of it could be it looks like you have a slight lean uphill, keep your body centered over the board (it may feel like you are leaning downhill, but you will be centered over the board and have increased response and control while turning.) Other than that if you feel you are having trouble more one way than the other, make sure you have equal overhang of your toe and heel over the board, this can give a feeling of tough transition from one edge to the other. Otherwise, it may just come from increased practice.


Edit: Not sure what your stance is set at , but it looks like your shoulders are facing downhill a bit, keep them parallel with the board, if you ride a forward stance, than the shoulder turn may be acceptable.

Last edited by Efilnikufesin; 03-04-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Efilnikufesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
SnowMotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 224
Default

Looking pretty good. I would say you are about to cross a level line in your riding. Your heel to toe turn isn't bad just quick if you watch your toe to heel turn is longer. But at least you have good edge angle ( height of edge off snow). Two things that can help will be size of turn and dynamic carving (pushing your legs out of the turn and pulling them into a turn). These things will make you carve harder and ride faster. When trying this out you should use long and wide trail crossing turns medium to fast speed and drop lower in your stance at the knees. If you need me to explain anything further just ask.
SnowMotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 80
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMotion View Post
Looking pretty good. I would say you are about to cross a level line in your riding. Your heel to toe turn isn't bad just quick if you watch your toe to heel turn is longer. But at least you have good edge angle ( height of edge off snow). Two things that can help will be size of turn and dynamic carving (pushing your legs out of the turn and pulling them into a turn). These things will make you carve harder and ride faster. When trying this out you should use long and wide trail crossing turns medium to fast speed and drop lower in your stance at the knees. If you need me to explain anything further just ask.
This may sound stupid but how does one increase their 'edge angle' when turning? Like what exercises should I do to have this locked down?
LyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
SnowMotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 224
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyGuy View Post
This may sound stupid but how does one increase their 'edge angle' when turning? Like what exercises should I do to have this locked down?
Not stupid at one point every snowboarder thought the same thing. Start pointing down hill and without body rotation start lifting your edge until your board starts to turn for you. As you turn continue to lift your edge until you start to travel uphill. On your heels sit back like your squatting. On your toes lean over your edge and push your shins into the tounge of your boot. Use a wide trail without many people on it. Pick up at least medium speed before you go into the turn and REMEMBER always lift your edge to much and fall toward the hill compared to letting your edge down and catching it.

Last edited by SnowMotion; 03-04-2012 at 11:09 PM.
SnowMotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: LI NY
Posts: 470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyGuy View Post
This may sound stupid but how does one increase their 'edge angle' when turning? Like what exercises should I do to have this locked down?
It tends to come from more dynamic riding, where you are using more lower body movement independent of your upper body, which allows you to dig the edge in harder, therefore allowing the upturned edge to reach a higher angle off the ground.

watch some of these:

Intermediate Snowboard lesson: Linked Turns - YouTube

Dynamic Skidded Turns - YouTube
Efilnikufesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4
Default

Thank you all very much for the advice and encouragement, I am so happy that I find this place (awesome!!!) I used to ride 15', 5', I changed to 15', -5'(duck stance) recently. I totally agree with what Snowwolf and Efilnikufesin pointed out. I'll keep working on my stance and trying to be more dynamic.
yunfei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMotion View Post
Looking pretty good. I would say you are about to cross a level line in your riding. Your heel to toe turn isn't bad just quick if you watch your toe to heel turn is longer. But at least you have good edge angle ( height of edge off snow). Two things that can help will be size of turn and dynamic carving (pushing your legs out of the turn and pulling them into a turn). These things will make you carve harder and ride faster. When trying this out you should use long and wide trail crossing turns medium to fast speed and drop lower in your stance at the knees. If you need me to explain anything further just ask.
Thanks very much, SnowMotion. I can understand pushing is applying pressure on the board, but what about pulling? What is the best way to describe the motion? What does feels like?
yunfei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
SnowMotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 224
Default

if you are sitting in a chair you would push your feet away from you (extend them) and pull them back in or under you (flex them). Same on your board when you turn to your heels you push the board out in front of you then pull it back under you as you initiate your toe turn them push the board out behind you and pull it back under and back out in front. It creates that dynamic rhythm your looking for and removes some pressure off the board as you change edges.Sorry for confusion still getting used to typing advise.
SnowMotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMotion View Post
if you are sitting in a chair you would push your feet away from you (extend them) and pull them back in or under you (flex them). Same on your board when you turn to your heels you push the board out in front of you then pull it back under you as you initiate your toe turn them push the board out behind you and pull it back under and back out in front. It creates that dynamic rhythm your looking for and removes some pressure off the board as you change edges.Sorry for confusion still getting used to typing advise.
Yes, I am sitting in a chair I think I kinda of getting the idea, is it more used in cross-under turns? I will try it out tonite Thank you!
yunfei is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:33 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums