Possible to learn park without lessons? - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2012, 09:00 PM   #21 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
uh oh a virus 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 124
Default

Sure you can. I'm 14 and I only get to ride on the weekends, so I just make it count. When it comes to snowboarding it's more about not being afraid. Once you can 360, with a little bit more pop and lean you can 720. I want to start competing as well, but it just takes time. I have been riding pretty much strictly park for 3 seasons now and I still don't think I am good enough to win/ get sponsored. Riding with friends can help/hurt you though. I'm not sure how your friends will push you, but for me and my friends we just bitch the hell out of the person until they try something crazy It works though, thats how I landed some crazy spins and flips off kickers. Thats also how I did a blocked-off glade run and got stuck for 2 hours Just slowly progress your self each day and in no-time you will be doing crazy good tricks. Just don't be scared and you can do any trick! As for your board size, I couldn't tell you. I feel a lot more comfortable riding a slightly longer and stiffer board. You get more stability and control in my opinion. People always say that the smaller and flexier the board, the better for park, but I completely disagree. I had a 142cm Swindle and that thing was a noodle. I had little to no control on the snow and ice, and it just didn't feel that solid on rails. That was my board last season. This season, because I desperately needed it, I got the Capita Ultrafear Fk. That board is a 152cm and 5-6 flex rating. I wish I could have truly experienced it, but this "season" sucked ass. I can tell that I felt an immediate difference though. From riding to doing tricks everything was waaaay easier and more comfortable. I recommend a slightly stiffer and longer board for everything in general, but it's all preference.
uh oh a virus 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-24-2012, 10:40 PM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 85
Default

mhm thanks, but it isn't that easy to get "friends" to come snowboarding with me when all my friends are either barely skiing much less riding or say that I'm weird because I snowboard. Going to an all girls school sucks, let's just put it to that. Anyways, I think I'll try park with my all mountain board as well as my freestyle..and then I'll see which one's more comfortable (: Pretty sure it won't make that much of a difference until I actually progress away from the noob level..haha thanks again though!
jojoinabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:44 PM   #23 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger
 
david_z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Detroit suburbs
Posts: 3,434
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoinabox View Post
it's just my mom doesn't think that an instructor is necessary unless I really get serious.
An instructor isn't necessary unless you want to get really serious.

What I'd do is try to talk the moms in to doing like a test run: let me take 1 or 2 lessons and then let's sit down and see how well it worked for you; are you learning new stuff quickly, are you feeling more confident, are you able (after the lessons) to start developing new skill independently on your own time, etc.? If you answer yes to these questions, then the instruction is really paying off. If not, see what you can work out on your own after and see how that goes.

OTOH, if after a few lessons you're not making super rad progress, maybe you need to reconsider. Not trying to rain on your parade, just saying that if you're not seeing instant results, take a time out and work on stuff on your own (after the lessons) and see if you can put all the pieces together and make more improvements that way.

Either way you're not really asking mom to commit to a really big investment off the bat, but your'e leaving the door open to more lessons if you can show they're working for you.
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:11 PM   #24 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 206
Default

Hey Im 27 and this was my second year in Park. I fell all the time and most of the time was sharing a hill with people half my age. You fall a whole bunch but its worth it to know you pulled the trick you were trying off. As for as the coaching goes, its just like any sport. If you have athletic ability then your going to progress either way but if you dont then coaching we speed the process along a lot faster. Also if you dont have the cash for a teacher then you have to go threw the school of hard knocks like I had too. It hurts but its worth it.
jdmccright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:30 AM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_z View Post
An instructor isn't necessary unless you want to get really serious.

What I'd do is try to talk the moms in to doing like a test run: let me take 1 or 2 lessons and then let's sit down and see how well it worked for you; are you learning new stuff quickly, are you feeling more confident, are you able (after the lessons) to start developing new skill independently on your own time, etc.? If you answer yes to these questions, then the instruction is really paying off. If not, see what you can work out on your own after and see how that goes.

OTOH, if after a few lessons you're not making super rad progress, maybe you need to reconsider. Not trying to rain on your parade, just saying that if you're not seeing instant results, take a time out and work on stuff on your own (after the lessons) and see if you can put all the pieces together and make more improvements that way.

Either way you're not really asking mom to commit to a really big investment off the bat, but your'e leaving the door open to more lessons if you can show they're working for you.
Yup I think I'll do just that, my mom's pretty chill actually about it too (: Either way I'll be snowboarding, whether I suck or not. And that pretty much makes me happy nonetheless. Thanks for the help!
jojoinabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:49 AM   #26 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
 
poutanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 5,639
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoinabox View Post
^haha thats pretty sick. I've got my backside 90's down too. or maybe backside 45s idk which one :P

& thanks! (:
Yup the first couple times I got my board around no problem, then I kept getting spooked and basically just jumped up and landed doing a toe side slide.

If you can find a spot to jump and land in powder you'll be a lot more brave, I know the typical parks wig me out now. Did most of my park riding when I was your age, I could wipe out and get back up and do it again. Jammed my finger putting my hand down while carving today and it's swollen up and looks like a cucumber next to my other fingers now. Yeah. I hurt myself carving...
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:12 AM   #27 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Karasene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Utah/NH
Posts: 812
Default

If you think you got it, you got it.
If you think you don't, you don't.
Pay attention to your gut and don't psych yourself out.
That's your park lesson for today.
Go get some.
__________________
To legit to quit.
On the move this season.
Karasene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:52 AM   #28 (permalink)
Resident poet
 
wrathfuldeity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bham
Posts: 4,044
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoinabox View Post
mhm thanks, but it isn't that easy to get "friends" to come snowboarding with me when all my friends are either barely skiing much less riding or say that I'm weird because I snowboard. Going to an all girls school sucks, let's just put it to that. Anyways, I think I'll try park with my all mountain board as well as my freestyle..and then I'll see which one's more comfortable (: Pretty sure it won't make that much of a difference until I actually progress away from the noob level..haha thanks again though!
I'll assume that you are not a tranny, halfway cute and have a personality...so the deal is, have a go for it attitude, be tough and keep up with the boys. If you can pull that off, the guys will let you hang; they will be helpful and encouraging. My daughter rode mostly with boys and no girl could keep up. She switched pretty much to skiing about 3 years ago and now she only has a couple of girlfriends that can keep up with her. But she has tons of guys that she rips with and she is getting great experience...probably better than a person could buy.
__________________
wrathfuldeity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:56 AM   #29 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.
 
Donutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 4,690
Blog Entries: 222
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoinabox View Post
Oh and no, money isn't an issue haha it's just my mom doesn't think that an instructor is necessary unless I really get serious.
Nnngnggggg, I think your mother kind of has it backwards. No blame to her though, she probably has no idea exactly what you're talking about. You should take a lesson first, both to see if you like it/have talent and to get the basics nailed so you don't kill yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoinabox View Post
mhm thanks, but it isn't that easy to get "friends" to come snowboarding with me when all my friends are either barely skiing much less riding or say that I'm weird because I snowboard.
Fuck'em. Don't be a clone. Do what you like.
__________________

INNUENDO:
Italian enema.
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:58 AM   #30 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.
 
Donutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 4,690
Blog Entries: 222
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmccright View Post
Hey Im 27 and this was my second year in Park. I fell all the time and most of the time was sharing a hill with people half my age.
Yeah, but only the most obnoxious of twerps will lip you off. Although being called "sir" or "mister" can get a bit grating.
__________________

INNUENDO:
Italian enema.
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:13 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums