First Post: Becoming an Instructor - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 11:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 12
Default First Post: Becoming an Instructor

Hello everyone, bit of a lurker here, had a few questions I wanted to get some feedback on. I am a 19 year old kid who currently works a decent summer job in the midwest. However, I do not want to continue doing this for years to come. Obviously as this is a Snowboard forum, I am highly interested in the sport. I am a very good rider, though I still have much to improve on.

Anyways, I've been thinking for some time that I want to turn my passion into something I can do for a while. I've seen the posts about the pros and cons of instructing, from someone like Snowolf who has a well informed opinion. Assuming I have enough saved up to live on my own in an area like Breckenridge, CO what can I do to make this happen? I have been to the area many times and love it. Would you say this is a complete mistake? I dont want to live thinking about what I could have done, or anything like that. So basically I am wondering what my first steps to accomplish this would be and some general advice.
bkozzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-04-2012, 11:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mountains
Posts: 10,050
Default

First year you're guaranteed clients from Breck if you're a higher level instructor otherwise hello Kid Castle! Second year you're on your own as a higher level to get your own clients. Third year you hit the bottle so hard after blowing out your knee that you become washed up and bitter towards tourists. Fourth year everyone assumes you're dead even though you moved back to Ohio. Fuck working for the mountain you won't ride.
__________________
Angry Snowboarder Because someone has to call it how they see it!
BurtonAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.
 
Donutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 4,693
Blog Entries: 223
Default

From what people have said, it doesn't look like you can make a living at it -- at least not more than you could get working at Home Depot. It seems like the best tactic is to find out what non-snowboarding-related but decent-paying jobs are available where you can live and work near the mountain. Preferably flex-hours or shift-work so you can ride weekdays.

At your age, you are in a good position to do this -- no dependants, no commitments built up yet. Ask again, but this time ask what types of jobs might fit these criteria.
__________________

INNUENDO:
Italian enema.
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Irahi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutz View Post
It seems like the best tactic is to find out what non-snowboarding-related but decent-paying jobs are available where you can live and work near the mountain. Preferably flex-hours or shift-work so you can ride weekdays.
The key, you've found it. I'm a software engineer with a 100% remote job with highly flexible hours, I couldn't tell you how many riding days I got in because I could log in from the lodge for whatever the meeting du jour was, and then strap in for the rest of the day. I clocked 112 days this season, and my riding days weren't ever limited to an hour or two long ride break that my resort employee friends get stuck with.
Irahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 12
Default

Arlight, quality responses especially Avenger haha, so you guys are saying stay away from the mountain for work completely? I'm really not concerned about the money, I just dont want to get stuck doing busy work in an office the rest of my life now which is what I'm doing right now.
bkozzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned!
 
snowklinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: L-Town
Posts: 5,218
Default

I work in a restaurant in Evergreen that I can get to from Breck in an hour. With my days off this affords me a minimum opportunity to ride 4 days a week and still work 50-55 hours.
__________________
Support Local Business
"Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!" - Ash
snowklinger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mountains
Posts: 10,050
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkozzz View Post
Arlight, quality responses especially Avenger haha, so you guys are saying stay away from the mountain for work completely? I'm really not concerned about the money, I just dont want to get stuck doing busy work in an office the rest of my life now which is what I'm doing right now.
Choices learn to make good ones.
__________________
Angry Snowboarder Because someone has to call it how they see it!
BurtonAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 48
Default

I usually find people who hate on instructor lifestyles either teach at the wrong mountain, or aren't instructors.

My 2p, if you really are serious about teaching.

Start off in kids school, they aren't paying the bills, so less pressure and a better environment for you to hone your teaching techniques.

Take all the free training you can get.

Get as many certs at you can afford quickly. I hate the fact that AASI has such a huge part to play in our lives, but it is what it is, if you ever want to earn money out of teaching or actually ride, you need to be qualified.

When you have a couple of years under your belt, have a mountain in mind that has high end clientele, and work adults - they ARE paying the bills, which means if you do a good job, they will probably tip you depending on the mountain.

I work at a pretty decent mountain, I normally come out of the season about 5-6k in profit. It wasn't always this way, this season will be my 7th teaching and the early years were defo a struggle, especially when I worked in the east.

Some things to consider:

To earn good money it helps to have the following characteristics - you need to look good, be professional, be easy to get on with, connect with all types of people, be extremely nice, be willing to tie a few bootlaces/carry boards/stop old ladies from falling over.

If i were you kid, i would go to college first, the mountain will always be there and if you go near a mountain town you can teach in your time off. One day you might decide you want kids, you'll need that degree.

Good luck buddy, if you can swing it, and swing it well, lifes good.
Matt166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mountains
Posts: 10,050
Default

^ These are all wrong decisions. College will always be there youth won't we're all gonna die some time might as well bang it out now before you're an old crusty bastard in a ski town getting drunk at 3 in the afternoon talking about the good ole days.

The fabled myth of ride all day, party all night in a ski town is a joke if you fall sucker to the pitfalls of being a snow carnie. Yes instructors are snow carnies and should always be noted as that. And for the record I have no respect for instructors and view them only slightly higher than mountain safety but somewhere below cafeteria dish washer.

Breck is a great town I love it, you love it, and the tourists love it. Remember this about any job here, you are here solely to serve the tourists your job is dependent on their money. Regardless of what you think you will not be a local until you get to the point that you don't even care that you live here or that you have banged every girl at least 4 times and contracted no less than seven STD's. Only then will you officially be a local. Losing bodily organs can be substituted for STD's.

Key jobs for letting you ride all the time. Dishwasher, food delivery, server, bar tender, night auditor, night stocker, snowboard shop, off mountain rental shop, anything with a split shift or afternoon shift, man slut, backseat skier, cougar tamer. In Breck high end waiting jobs are coveted but you can find ones at some of the more touristy places that have high turn over. Do not bother applying to Downstairs at Erics unless you have a vagina. Get here right at the start of September to secure a good job/housing.

Housing is another key important factor if you do not have a car you will be on the bus system which is awesome although always 5 to 15 minutes late at any given time. Remember this it's Summit County time. If you have a car parking sucks and you will need to learn how to become a fucking ninja of stealing parking spots or just take the fucking bus. But back to housing it's a lot like joining the army in terms of roommates, you'll meet people from all walks of life and most of them will seem stupid to you. Do not adopt a dog because you think you're cool, chances are it's one of the same 7 dogs that gets adopted then ends up back at the shelter at the end of the season. Do not live with women and if I have to go into detail about this you are already a lost cause and should proceed to smoke meth now while driving drunk and getting a suck off from some poor dude from Keystone. Blue River is not Breckenridge, no matter how close to town they tell you it is. Peak 7 is the fucking boondocks and you could die waiting for a search party to find you out there. If potential new roommate tells you, "I have some friends crashing on the couch they're chipping in on rent" read this as they will freeload off you and your rent will never decrease all while having your shit abused more than one of the 10 lifty chicks that lives in staff housings vagina.

Contrary to popular belief Breckenridge is not Amsterdam as much as people believe weed is legal here. We do have a few dispensaries and town law states that it's officers discretion on whether or not to prosecute if you have an ounce or less on you. County law supercedes town law and state law supercedes that followed by federal. It's decriminalized not legal, don't be stupid.

If you do work for the mountain make the right choices in terms of jobs. Lifty's do not ride, instructors are day care, food service means you're a slave, shuttle drivers are fat and cranky, day cleaners don't speak English, park crew is coveted, cat driver means you drink a lot, which means night jobs are the best bet i.e. night cleaning.

If you're not working for the mountain buy your pass. Regardless of if one of the jobs in town offers you it as an incentive buy it yourself. Then if you want to play hooky and go shred they can't call the pass office and have it turned off on you. Yes this does happen if you let it. Do not ever give an employer a chance to be your dark overlord masters.

Since you are 19 you can not get into any of the bars legally, get a good fake ID. Tip well, don't be a douche, and if a girl tells you she's 21 assume she's 18. If she tells you she's a 20 something figure she's a cougar and her vagina is more busted than the Delorean at the end of Back to the Future 3. If house parties are you thing do not party with the high school sluts from Summit High they are trouble and you will get one pregnant. You think I'm joking but those bitches are in heat.

Keystone has herpes it's the rumor year after year and it's true that is all you need to know about that.

This is how you live in summit county.
__________________
Angry Snowboarder Because someone has to call it how they see it!
BurtonAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned!
 
snowklinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: L-Town
Posts: 5,218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
^ These are all wrong decisions. College will always be there youth won't we're all gonna die some time might as well bang it out now before you're an old crusty bastard in a ski town getting drunk at 3 in the afternoon talking about the good ole days.

The fabled myth of ride all day, party all night in a ski town is a joke if you fall sucker to the pitfalls of being a snow carnie. Yes instructors are snow carnies and should always be noted as that. And for the record I have no respect for instructors and view them only slightly higher than mountain safety but somewhere below cafeteria dish washer.

Breck is a great town I love it, you love it, and the tourists love it. Remember this about any job here, you are here solely to serve the tourists your job is dependent on their money. Regardless of what you think you will not be a local until you get to the point that you don't even care that you live here or that you have banged every girl at least 4 times and contracted no less than seven STD's. Only then will you officially be a local. Losing bodily organs can be substituted for STD's.

Key jobs for letting you ride all the time. Dishwasher, food delivery, server, bar tender, night auditor, night stocker, snowboard shop, off mountain rental shop, anything with a split shift or afternoon shift, man slut, backseat skier, cougar tamer. In Breck high end waiting jobs are coveted but you can find ones at some of the more touristy places that have high turn over. Do not bother applying to Downstairs at Erics unless you have a vagina. Get here right at the start of September to secure a good job/housing.

Housing is another key important factor if you do not have a car you will be on the bus system which is awesome although always 5 to 15 minutes late at any given time. Remember this it's Summit County time. If you have a car parking sucks and you will need to learn how to become a fucking ninja of stealing parking spots or just take the fucking bus. But back to housing it's a lot like joining the army in terms of roommates, you'll meet people from all walks of life and most of them will seem stupid to you. Do not adopt a dog because you think you're cool, chances are it's one of the same 7 dogs that gets adopted then ends up back at the shelter at the end of the season. Do not live with women and if I have to go into detail about this you are already a lost cause and should proceed to smoke meth now while driving drunk and getting a suck off from some poor dude from Keystone. Blue River is not Breckenridge, no matter how close to town they tell you it is. Peak 7 is the fucking boondocks and you could die waiting for a search party to find you out there. If potential new roommate tells you, "I have some friends crashing on the couch they're chipping in on rent" read this as they will freeload off you and your rent will never decrease all while having your shit abused more than one of the 10 lifty chicks that lives in staff housings vagina.

Contrary to popular belief Breckenridge is not Amsterdam as much as people believe weed is legal here. We do have a few dispensaries and town law states that it's officers discretion on whether or not to prosecute if you have an ounce or less on you. County law supercedes town law and state law supercedes that followed by federal. It's decriminalized not legal, don't be stupid.

If you do work for the mountain make the right choices in terms of jobs. Lifty's do not ride, instructors are day care, food service means you're a slave, shuttle drivers are fat and cranky, day cleaners don't speak English, park crew is coveted, cat driver means you drink a lot, which means night jobs are the best bet i.e. night cleaning.

If you're not working for the mountain buy your pass. Regardless of if one of the jobs in town offers you it as an incentive buy it yourself. Then if you want to play hooky and go shred they can't call the pass office and have it turned off on you. Yes this does happen if you let it. Do not ever give an employer a chance to be your dark overlord masters.

Since you are 19 you can not get into any of the bars legally, get a good fake ID. Tip well, don't be a douche, and if a girl tells you she's 21 assume she's 18. If she tells you she's a 20 something figure she's a cougar and her vagina is more busted than the Delorean at the end of Back to the Future 3. If house parties are you thing do not party with the high school sluts from Summit High they are trouble and you will get one pregnant. You think I'm joking but those bitches are in heat.

Keystone has herpes it's the rumor year after year and it's true that is all you need to know about that.

This is how you live in summit county.
This is quality shit my friend, cut paste for a nice editorial on your site.
__________________
Support Local Business
"Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!" - Ash
snowklinger is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:04 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums