Always feel like I'm catching an edge. - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 08:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 5
Default

Welll, I had my friend sorta teach me, but he had only been riding a year and told me to do exactly what you just said not to do. To carve I maybe only use my foward foot by literally like lifting my heel up, which causes cramps so I know I'm doing it wrong. The majority of my carving is my back foot by sorta kicking it out using my calf and heel a bit. I try to keep my knees bent but when I start carving I naturally wanna straighten my back. I lean somewhat sideways, none backward or forward, and dont lift my edge up too much because I feel like I'll fall, which I probably won't. I do ask some of the other riders for advice buuuut they're all dicks and just tell me to quit, say I'm trash, ect haha
Plurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-04-2012, 08:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger
 
david_z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Detroit suburbs
Posts: 3,400
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plurr View Post
Welll, I had my friend sorta teach me, but he had only been riding a year and told me to do exactly what you just said not to do. ...
Stop right there and take a lesson. One, maybe two is probably all you will need to feel 100% more comfortable and confident on the slopes, correct some bad habits, and start to develop good habits & correct technique & muscle memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plurr View Post
I do ask some of the other riders for advice buuuut they're all dicks and just tell me to quit, say I'm trash, ect haha
Haters gonna hate. In all honesty though, most of them - although competent snowboarders - probably couldn't come close to *communicating* what you need to do the way Snowolf or another instructor could.
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:35 PM   #13 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet
 
chomps1211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: S.E. Mich.
Posts: 3,328
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_z View Post
Stop right there and take a lesson. One, maybe two is probably all you will need to feel 100% more comfortable and confident on the slopes, correct some bad habits, and start to develop good habits & correct technique & muscle memory.


Haters gonna hate. In all honesty though, most of them - although competent snowboarders - probably couldn't come close to *communicating* what you need to do the way Snowolf or another instructor could.
^^^ What He said!! ^^^

I'm not sure, but wasn't there a thread here somewhere that had a lot of Snowolf's YouTube snowboard instructional links??? I remember watching a bunch of them, but I can't recall if they were all posted in one thread or not! If not, maybe go over 2 YT & search Snowolf? LOTs of good tips & technique!!
__________________
You're only Young Once,.. but you can be Immature FOREVER!

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
2014/15
chomps1211 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:26 AM   #14 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet
 
chomps1211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: S.E. Mich.
Posts: 3,328
Default

That's the thread I was talkin' bout!!! Lots of good info. Still, as SW & others have already said,.. Nothing is as good as face to face time with a good instructor!

My first few months, I had lots of little "issues" with my riding that I couldn't have even identified let alone corrected all on my own. You really need someone competent who can give you instant feedback on the "bad habits" that could b tripping you up!

The biggest benefit being, with an instructor once you experience in real time, the difference between how it feels to ride with proper form & with your bad habits corrected, that feedback is doubly reinforced and it will start to become "good habit"!

Thanks SW for posting that thread link!
__________________
You're only Young Once,.. but you can be Immature FOREVER!

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
2014/15

Last edited by chomps1211; 12-05-2012 at 05:33 AM.
chomps1211 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:15 AM   #15 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
john doe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,388
Default

I'm also a fan of Free Learn to Snowboard Videos | SnowProfessor Those video along with Snowolf's video made a drastic improvement in my riding.
__________________

2011 Smokin Buck Ferton 155
2013 Flow NX2-SE
2013 Flow Hylite boa
Burton Stagger pants/jacket
Smith I/O
john doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:07 PM   #16 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 5
Default

Alright so I watched all the videos and I can't wait to try these tips out when my local resort opens. They helped on how I should be leaning and bending my knees but I'm having a hard time understanding lifting my toes or heel, pressing down, ect with which foot to initiate certain turns. Also, I somewhat understand differences between turns but when to use which I dunno.
Plurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:50 PM   #17 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.
 
Donutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 4,597
Blog Entries: 217
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plurr View Post
Alright so I watched all the videos and I can't wait to try these tips out when my local resort opens. They helped on how I should be leaning and bending my knees but I'm having a hard time understanding lifting my toes or heel, pressing down, ect with which foot to initiate certain turns. Also, I somewhat understand differences between turns but when to use which I dunno.
Don't sweat it, it'll all come. If there's one piece of advice above all else, one thing that beginners do wrong more than anything else, it's going back-seat -- putting your weight on your back leg. This one mistake is good for probably more than 90% of beginner problems. Make a point of checking your weight distribution OFTEN. Don't let yourself get into the bad habit.
__________________

In retrospect, "Let's get the goat drunk"
should have been my cue to leave the party.
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #18 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 5
Default

Gotchaaaa, this honestly helps so much!! Another thing is my body is to stay perpendicular to my board at all time, correct? and my knees are to always be bent slightly but when I'm carving do I bend more?..
Plurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:47 AM   #19 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Belgium
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutz View Post
Don't sweat it, it'll all come. If there's one piece of advice above all else, one thing that beginners do wrong more than anything else, it's going back-seat -- putting your weight on your back leg. This one mistake is good for probably more than 90% of beginner problems. Make a point of checking your weight distribution OFTEN. Don't let yourself get into the bad habit.
That was one my worst habbits. I always went to the backseat and started to swirl my backfoot to initiate my turns. I can't keep on saying how important lessons are.

I always go 2 weeks to the resort divided in 1 week lessons, 1 week practise. Great combination and fun!
__________________
- Everybody lies, but it doesn't matter because nobody listens.
Ritsuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums