Park Tips? - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 01:46 PM   #21 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Skinny Bam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Front Range, CO
Posts: 294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
Whoa guys! No need to be this rude even if you do suspect some exaggeration. It is fine to question but to out and out treat someone this way is not excusable. This is the one area of the forum that I do not tolerate ANY bullshit so back off!!!!
Hey we were all pretty mild considering the fact this thread might as well be titled "Ive only been riding for 6 days, why can't I do backflips and 360's?"

And I gave real advice....yes it was after a little bashing but shit, this kids lucky BA or Shred didn't go to work on him.
Skinny Bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-12-2012, 02:57 PM   #22 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Clackamas, Oregon
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
Whoa guys! No need to be this rude even if you do suspect some exaggeration. It is fine to question but to out and out treat someone this way is not excusable. This is the one area of the forum that I do not tolerate ANY bullshit so back off!!!!

Now, for some actual tips.

When you are doing your attempted 3`s are you doing the frontside? The reason I ask is because one of the biggest issues (and I still have trouble with front 3`s) is the rider opens up too soon; usually on the first 90 degrees when facing down the hill. This will drastically slow your rotation. My issue has always been a fear of committing to it; this could be doe to conditions, not feeling it, whatever but any hesitation will kill your rotation.

One thing I have done that seemed to help me and has helped people I coach, is to actually carve the first 90 of your 3 (not in the park, I use natural features so I don`t fuck up the takeoff ramps in the park doing this). This allows you to really concentrate on that final 270 and the landing. Once I have gained the confidence of landing successfully, I don`t seem to have near as much of a hesitation issue.

Now, while I am disappointed in their delivery, the other poster`s did bring up valid points. It is hard for most of us who struggled for a long time to master good riding skills like carving, dynamic skidded, fore-aft movements, up and down unweighting, anticipatory rotation, etc to believe that a new rider with 6 days has done enough prep work in their foundational riding skills to focus on freestyle. I totally get the skiing background and wakeboarding, but just make sure you do not neglect these foundational riding skills.

I see you are in the PDX area; Which blacks are you riding at what resort; Meadows? Timberline? Just make sure you are not skipping important riding skills in your haste to master park. And if you say you don't like pow? I need to get you into Private Reserve at Meadows on a stupid deep powder day and we`ll fix that little issue.......

So, back to park.... Here`s a few more things for you to think about:

ATML

This is the key for good park riding; it stands for approach, takeoff, maneuver and landing.

Your approach needs to be stable; no last minute speed corrections or trajectory changes. You should feel as if you are dialed in and patiently waiting for the takeoff.

The takeoff is key for the outcome of the trick (maneuver). You need a stable, balanced and controlled takeoff. Hucking your meat usually looks like shit and will eventually get you hurt. Far better to do smaller things well that look good than go huge and look like a whirling dervish in the air.

The Maneuver is what you do in the air (or on the box/rail) if the approach and takeoff is solid, you have a much better chance of successfully performing the maneuver. Again, progress and master simple maneuvers before jumping to more complex ones.

The landing is really the proof of the pudding. If you fuck up somewhere in the earlier stages, it is likely going to show up here. You want to be stabilized and ready to land before it happens. Get the balance, trajectory and angles dialed in be ready to reconnect with the snow. Avoid the temptation to immediately brake; allow your board to settle in and engage the edge before applying any corrections to speed and direction.

Keep your progress slow and steady and always remember as you progress, that when you want simple terrain for complex tasks. As you master say large straight airs on large features and want to start spinning, don`t do them on the large features. Go back to the small features and work your way back up. Too often I see a park rider who is nailing it on a large feature try a new maneuver but they don`t step it back and really jack themselves up trying to dial in a new trick on too big of a feature.

I give you this caution because from reading the exchange going on here you seem to me to be the time that may let ego get the better of you and not be too willing to step down to easier features to try new shit. Just remember to always ask yourself if that 3 to 5 seconds is worth jeopardizing your riding season. If you're not sure of the outcome, step it back a notch. Hope to see you at Meadows some time....
I really appreciate that you took the time to type this out.

I ride at Timberline, fusion pass whoo, but my first day was on the Palmer Snowfield haha. It was in October and it was icey! So I guess that forced me to learn quickly. Also, I watch tons of youtube videos on the tricks and skills before I go up. It helps! The reason why I am doing these larger park features is because of who I am riding with. :/ They are advanced riders and they pretty much brought me to larger features and black diamond runs and said this is what we are doing, so you are as well. So I basically said what the hell, Ill learn this stuff.

I set goals before each day and I am determined to be able to do everything they can do in less time it took them to learn. haha

The blacks I have ridden was the Snowfield, and those blacks off of pucci. Elmers and Wingles I believe.

Back to park.

I learned how to backflip on the trampoline with my board on my feet, so it was pretty easy to get the rotation out on the slopes, so thats why I can attempt those already. I wouldn't think of this trick being more difficult than any others, so why not try it?

I believe my 360 issue may lie in trying to rotate too early. Like just before leaving the lip. It sort of stalls me out. Im trying to stop that habit, is there any techniques for that?

And I have fallen pretty hard a few times on the bigger features haha. My friends thought I broke bones a couple times. But I haven't even gotten a bruise. Weird. I am pretty heavy for my height, not fat, but muscle. So I don't know if that helps me take impacts better. 180 pounds at 5'5" around 8% BF.


Thanks again for the tips
Physx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #23 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Skinny Bam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Front Range, CO
Posts: 294
Default

Watch the snowboarding addiction videos on advanced spins. That is probably the best approach, AND you will see after watching why mastering your carving is essential before you can do this.
Skinny Bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:13 AM   #24 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Fiziks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 15
Default

Ok. So the reason, you got so much hate in the first few pages of this thread is because the more experienced riders know what it looks like when someone doesn't really quite know what they are doing, but is just hucking the ever-loving crap out of themselves on jumps. This is one of the most cringe-inducing things you can see in the park because it is usually some young kid that has no business trying to do the tricks he is attempting and he looks like a complete moron doing them. The funny thing is this kid usually is the joke of the entire mountain because he thinks he's all bad for almost landing backflips and 3's, but since everything is ugly looking everyone just laughs about him behind his back. Now I'm not saying this is you, but all of those bad reactions you got on the first page was probably because it really made people seriously believe you were one of those kids.

The funny thing is that I know exactly how you feel, though, because my close friend and I were those exact kids in the park several years ago. Let me be the first to tell you that you're doing it wrong. I didn't realize it until I broke my left arm and my best friend got a concussion the same day on the same jump. We kinda sorta had 180's down, but we had no clue what we were doing. We were hucking the crap out of some 3's but didn't really know what we were doing. It just made sense to use because we had tons of skating experience. Eventually if you ride out of control, something will go wrong and you will wreck yourself pretty quickly. That same friend of mine didn't really know how to do 3's flawlessly, but was throwing down backflips like it was his job because he thought it made him look cool and made him look like he was a really good rider. He eventually tore his shoulder and it put a very quick end to his progress as a snowboarder. Think about it this way, if you're out of control and break an arm/tear something, you will immediately stop your learning progress for that season and will have to start all-over next season. What we eventually learned, instead, is that it is WAAAY better and faster to learn tricks if you just take it slower and build up to more difficult tricks one step at a time. Instead of taking 2 seasons to learn 3's, because you wrecked yourself, you can do it in 1 season because you were smart about it.

So, now that we got that out of the way, here are the real tips to learn to do 3's. You need to have very good solid edge control and you have to understand how to approach the jump with a good "set-up carve". Depending on if you are spinning back-side, front-side, or front-side off your toes, the approach will be different for all three ways to spin. Luckily, you can learn to master this approach by just doing 180's. If you keep working on this same "Set-up carve" approach over and over until you can bust 180's with basically any and every grab you can think of, then 3's will literally just fall in to your lap. But I REPEAT, do NOT work on 3's until you've master the approach and set-up carve by mastering 180's. Plus, the more solid you can land 180's, the easier your 5's will eventually become. There are a ton of good videos on how to do this set-up carve, but I would check out snowboard addiction because the way they present stuff is flawless. Do everything in their videos and do NOT progress to 3's until you've mastered straight airs and 180's. I know this sounds "beneath you" because I thought it was beneath me too when I first started, but I swear to you this is the fastest and best way for you to learn how to kill it in the park. In all reality, no real snowboarder will give you props for throwing down sloppy back flips and sloppy 3's if you have no clue what you're doing, but you will get WAAY more respect for dropping steezy 180's than sloppy 3's. Then once your 1's are on point, you will start to throw smooth steezy 3's and you'll be golden.

And for christsakes, stop doing backflips for a few seasons until you at least get 3's and 5's down. You're not impressing anyone.
Fiziks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:20 PM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Physx View Post
180 pounds at 5'5" around 8% BF.
Is this a massive troll thread for this one guy to throw his e-peen around?
Consonantal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:46 PM   #26 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Clackamas, Oregon
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consonantal View Post
Is this a massive troll thread for this one guy to throw his e-peen around?
Bro, do you even lift?
Physx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:56 PM   #27 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
SAddiction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Whistler, BC
Posts: 224
Default Snowboard Tricks

We guess that everyone has their own learning speed and for most to get to that professional level takes as they say something like 10,000 hours so most still have a long way to go! sorry for the plug but we have some great tutorial vids that might help take you to that next step of impressing your friends in the park: How to 360, 540 and 720 Frontside or Backside (goofy riders) from Snowboard Addiction. - YouTube
__________________
Want to learn how to stomp it like the pros, visit us at
www.snowboardaddiction.com
SAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:10 PM   #28 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.
 
Donutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 4,574
Blog Entries: 214
Default

Several forum members have bought the SA vids, including me. Definitely worth the fare. The vids give you a very detailed and matter-of-fact breakdown of how to do the basic types of tricks. Including clear examples of what they look like. If you're brute-forcing your way through the tricks as some people are suggesting, then the vids will show you what you're doing wrong.
__________________

In retrospect, "Let's get the goat drunk"
should have been my cue to leave the party.
Donutz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:30 PM   #29 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 280
Default

SA's vids have helped me immensely and I've only watched their free ones!
Bayoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:48 PM   #30 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
SAddiction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Whistler, BC
Posts: 224
Smile Snowboard Addiction Tutorials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutz View Post
Several forum members have bought the SA vids, including me. Definitely worth the fare. The vids give you a very detailed and matter-of-fact breakdown of how to do the basic types of tricks. Including clear examples of what they look like. If you're brute-forcing your way through the tricks as some people are suggesting, then the vids will show you what you're doing wrong.
Thanks Donutz, we our always happy to hear that people are getting a lot out of SnowboardAddiction.com videos and always more happy to hear of any ideas for future videos that people would like a tutorial on? We love hearing how everyone gets on after watching our vids
__________________
Want to learn how to stomp it like the pros, visit us at
www.snowboardaddiction.com
SAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:20 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums