First time riding a Rocker board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 10:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 77
Default First time riding a Rocker board

Hey guys, i learned to ride a little over 10 years ago on a traditional camber board without a lot of tech. It was heavy, stiff and oversized for me...

I recently purchased a 2013 GNU Pickle, i didn't realize how much flex it really has (says 6, but compared to what im used to i feel like its a 2).

anyway, i went out to ride it and at first i think i set my stance way wide, because i could barely initiate my turns. I then moved the front binding a little back giving a stance setback (not sure if this is good on twin tip rocker)...it felt better, but the board is really not damp at all and i feel like im going to catch an edge any second

any tips on riding a rocker board vs a camber board that i should be aware of? or is it all in just riding it and getting used to it?
mastershake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-21-2013, 10:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
grafta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,752
Default

Set it up properly, ie at reference stance. Don't set it back. Center bindings on mounting holes. If you need to come in from center because it is too wide, come in one hole on front AND back evenly

I ride a neversummer with rocker between bindings, camber at the ends. Just rode my friends camber ride dh yesterday and it reminded me how different straight camber is. With rocker you have to put in work to keep an edge, especially on hardpack. Camber is easier to rail along on, you can get on edge and even riding fairly statically you can draw a nice thin line. Rocker I feel like i have to use fore-aft movement through my turns to work my edges. The raised contacts out at the ends stop catches, BUT they also need pressure to get them to lock in.

I'm sure peeps will chime in here too. My experience is fairly slim. Good luck!
grafta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 77
Default

thanks for the info. i needed a quick fix on the mtn and i just set my front binding back 1 hole just so i dont waste time, but i will center them today..i think mine is flat-rocker-flat.

you're right about putting in more work to keep an edge, im feeling a lot more sore today than i usually would feel and i think its a combination of less dampness and having to make sure im on edge at all times, which makes it a bit harder for me to ride "relaxed" as i'm always trying to make sure i don't catch an edge..
mastershake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 220
Default Same shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafta View Post
Set it up properly, ie at reference stance. Don't set it back. Center bindings on mounting holes. If you need to come in from center because it is too wide, come in one hole on front AND back evenly

I ride a neversummer with rocker between bindings, camber at the ends. Just rode my friends camber ride dh yesterday and it reminded me how different straight camber is. With rocker you have to put in work to keep an edge, especially on hardpack. Camber is easier to rail along on, you can get on edge and even riding fairly statically you can draw a nice thin line. Rocker I feel like i have to use fore-aft movement through my turns to work my edges. The raised contacts out at the ends stop catches, BUT they also need pressure to get them to lock in.

I'm sure peeps will chime in here too. My experience is fairly slim. Good luck!
Yea I pretty same experience as grafta.. I recently switch from a full camber(custom) to a hybrid camber/rocker/camber (t.rice pro) and could definently feel the difference in how to ride it. Took some getting used to but after a couple days out i love it. I miss some of the ease and forgiveness of regular camber but the added benifits of the hybrid outweigh them. Also more squirly on flats..
jbernste03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 77
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernste03 View Post
Yea I pretty same experience as grafta.. I recently switch from a full camber(custom) to a hybrid camber/rocker/camber (t.rice pro) and could definently feel the difference in how to ride it. Took some getting used to but after a couple days out i love it. I miss some of the ease and forgiveness of regular camber but the added benifits of the hybrid outweigh them. Also more squirly on flats..
yes!! this x1000

this is exactly when i feel like im going to catch an edge
mastershake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
grafta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,752
Default

You will find that you will catch less edges, not more.

RC tech is more forgiving, that's the point.

It'll feel more squirrelly at first for sure, you'll get used to it.
grafta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafta View Post
You will find that you will catch less edges, not more.

RC tech is more forgiving, that's the point.

It'll feel more squirrelly at first for sure, you'll get used to it.
yea very true.. i got used to by about halfway through my second day riding it. At first it was definently fucking with me though.

I didnt know that RC tech was more forgiving than regular camber.. but makes sense.
jbernste03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 12
Default

Im in the same boat. Although after the first couple of runs it was night and day difference. Gotta love new technology!
Dakota.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 77
Default

i agree..i definitely was feeling a lot more confident toward the end of the day, but still everytime i got some speed i'd have this feeling that i gotta make sure im on an edge otherwise im gonna bust my ass..haha..so im thinking i need more time with the board.

on the other hand i know its a bit more forgiving than TC boards, but what about on icy conditions or hardpack?
mastershake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 99
Default

RC is less grippy on ice, but the magnetraction on your board will make up for some of it.
jojotherider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:20 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums