steep run HELP - Page 10 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #91 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 78
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlude97 View Post
Are you riding the trees just to the right of the powerlines or are you traversing far right past the out of bounds sign onto the other side of the creek bed? Most of that stuff is pretty mellow but fun. I don't really consider that area double black though. Stuff like wild katz, most of the drops into tye bowl and the chutes up on 7th heaven are where you really can get yourself into trouble.
just an aside, i was at mammoth the other day near chair 9 riding some mellow off-trail fairly well-tracked/ridden trees, decided to carve up a ledge hoping to ride it for awhile and drop in on a steep slope on the other side...

rode it for about a minute, suddenly i see my buddy below me giving me the slit-throat/stop hand motion desperately. i screech to a halt and realized that the pow-drop i was heading for was actually a deceptively large and jagged (15ft) cliff drop with no real landing besides jagged rocks...

giving me even more shudders was the idea that i would have seen the rocks at the landing, tried to skid to a stop, and probably ended up skidding down a 15 foot rock face on my back only to land on rocks below.

this was not only semi-on-trail but the cliff was marked by TWO signs that i missed. this (and tree wells) is why all off-trail riding should be rated double black and treated as such even if the terrain seems friendly. i was treating that ride like a green or easy blue, and it could have been deadly.

i also thought it'd be wise to slide down a powdery 7' chute with my board detached and in hand ...to get back on trail instead of following the age old adage of always hiking out of hairy spots rather than hiking down them...it ended in a good amount of blood coming out of my hand and that is all i'll say. some serious lessons re-learned that day.

Last edited by wildshoetwt; 03-05-2013 at 08:32 PM.
wildshoetwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #92 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 371
Default steep run HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlude97 View Post
Are you riding the trees just to the right of the powerlines or are you traversing far right past the out of bounds sign onto the other side of the creek bed? Most of that stuff is pretty mellow but fun. I don't really consider that area double black though. Stuff like wild katz, most of the drops into tye bowl and the chutes up on 7th heaven are where you really can get yourself into trouble.
the trees I was talking about are in the toilet bowl it's a long traverse. I was told it was. not even close to ready to ride wildkatz. I did hit the whinny chutes, haven't been to the death chutes yet. not ready or close to ready for 7th heaven... but the Hollywood bowl was awesome...
stickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:37 PM   #93 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ig88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
...... All dynamic riding is composed of the three primary riding tasks we have been discussing; flexion-extension, fore-aft, upper-lower body separation. The key to successfully riding dynamically is the application of these movements in concert with each other and understanding the principles of timing, intensity and duration.......
I am not sure if I already have got this fore-aft thing, most probably I don't because I have never made a point to practice it.

Is this fore-aft thing visible? Can you easily spot someone who has or hasn't it?
ig88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:02 PM   #94 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
redlude97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Seattle/Portland
Posts: 1,068
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildshoetwt View Post
just an aside, i was at mammoth the other day near chair 9 riding some mellow off-trail fairly well-tracked/ridden trees, decided to carve up a ledge hoping to ride it for awhile and drop in on a steep slope on the other side...

rode it for about a minute, suddenly i see my buddy below me giving me the slit-throat/stop hand motion desperately. i screech to a halt and realized that the pow-drop i was heading for was actually a deceptively large and jagged (15ft) cliff drop with no real landing besides jagged rocks...

giving me even more shudders was the idea that i would have seen the rocks at the landing, tried to skid to a stop, and probably ended up skidding down a 15 foot rock face on my back only to land on rocks below.

this was not only semi-on-trail but the cliff was marked by TWO signs that i missed. this (and tree wells) is why all off-trail riding should be rated double black and treated as such even if the terrain seems friendly. i was treating that ride like a green or easy blue, and it could have been deadly.

i also thought it'd be wise to slide down a powdery 7' chute with my board detached and in hand ...to get back on trail instead of following the age old adage of always hiking out of hairy spots rather than hiking down them...it ended in a good amount of blood coming out of my hand and that is all i'll say. some serious lessons re-learned that day.
Good point actually, where stickz is talking about is definitely double black now that I really think about it. Like he said not because of the steepness or tightness of the trees, but because it is out of bounds, there are unmarked obstacles abound, including open running creek holes, some cliffs and lots of tree wells. If you know where you are going its easy to pick a good line but it is also easy to get yourself into trouble if you don't.
redlude97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:20 PM   #95 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 371
Default steep run HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlude97 View Post
Good point actually, where stickz is talking about is definitely double black now that I really think about it. Like he said not because of the steepness or tightness of the trees, but because it is out of bounds, there are unmarked obstacles abound, including open running creek holes, some cliffs and lots of tree wells. If you know where you are going its easy to pick a good line but it is also easy to get yourself into trouble if you don't.
I was with a friend who was very knowledgable about the area.
stickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:21 PM   #96 (permalink)
Resident poet
 
wrathfuldeity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bham
Posts: 3,726
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlude97 View Post
Good point actually, where stickz is talking about is definitely double black now that I really think about it. Like he said not because of the steepness or tightness of the trees, but because it is out of bounds, there are unmarked obstacles abound, including open running creek holes, some cliffs and lots of tree wells. If you know where you are going its easy to pick a good line but it is also easy to get yourself into trouble if you don't.
there are double black runs and then there is off piste and further...beyond the rope line; anyway after 10 years there are still places in bounds but I have not gotten the tour and will not go in til I get the tour and do a few laps...to make sure of the entrance, the line and exit.
__________________
wrathfuldeity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:49 AM   #97 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 371
Default steep run HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtg View Post
Haha, when I started reading through the thread and saw you were around here and reasonably close in skill level I was gonna suggest that. Then within 2 weeks and a couple pages of the thread you are talking about shredding blacks with no problems and even doing DBs Not sure I can keep up with you now!

I think I'm pretty much where you were when you made the thread, side slipping a lot down blacks, struggling to link turns without stopping at every transition. Gonna study Snowolf's advice and try the same things. Last time out I tried Parachute (under hogsback chair) and that didn't go well at all haha. It didn't look *that* steep from the chair, but when I got on it, I felt like if I even initiated a turn, the momentum going into the next apex was going to send me rolling down that thing.
nah bro I'm sure your just as good we should def go together though. I know when I go with my buddy I met I here I get so much better everytime because he really pushes my limits. plus I would like to board with someone my level so we can bounce ideas and thing we've learned with each other. plus it's always fun to progress with someone and almost better to watch someone progress. I know when skating I am always so stoned when my friends get better and better. I believe we are going Friday and always go Monday. pm me and we will get this shit going....
stickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:09 AM   #98 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
NWBoarder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Port Orchard, WA
Posts: 1,982
Blog Entries: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickz View Post
I know when skating I am always so stoned when my friends get better and better.
Maybe you'd get better with them if you weren't always so stoned! Haha!
__________________
Oh yeah!? Well, my mom says I'm cool!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton Bigsby View Post
It never gets old, if you're in it for the passion, and not the fashion
NWBoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:40 AM   #99 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 371
Default steep run HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWBoarder View Post
Maybe you'd get better with them if you weren't always so stoned! Haha!
lmao stoked oops. but I'm always super stoned. hehe
stickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:09 AM   #100 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
NWBoarder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Port Orchard, WA
Posts: 1,982
Blog Entries: 10
Default

Haha! I figured you meant stoked. But I just couldn't resist the free shot.
__________________
Oh yeah!? Well, my mom says I'm cool!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton Bigsby View Post
It never gets old, if you're in it for the passion, and not the fashion
NWBoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:31 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums