AASI Freestyle I Cert. help (360 butter) - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
BigmountainVMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sugarloaf, ME / Philly
Posts: 1,204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
AASI Freestyle I Cert. help (360 butter)

I'm having trouble finding the technical 2012/2013 list of what I need to be able to do to pass, but I have heard a few things from various sources. 180s off small jumps, boardslides, half-pipe (not sure what, no tricks though), 50-50 landing fakie, and 360 butters to name a few. I know it is all relatively simple stuff, but I have a pure freeride background, and apart from big straight airs and 50-50s, most is pretty foreign to me. I have roughly 14 days on snow for spring break to get it all down, which I think it totally enough.

The one thing that is getting me right now is a full 360 butter... I get the first 180 (sorta). I know I have too much arm movement but I can get the board rotated 180. The last 180 is really problematic for me and I can't even sorta get it... not even slightly. It is as if I am stuck... and I just can't get the damn board around.

Suggestions?

Any advice from anyone experienced with the AASI freestyle exams would be appreciated as well.

Last edited by BigmountainVMD; 02-11-2013 at 03:04 PM.
BigmountainVMD is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member
 
redlude97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Seattle/Portland
Posts: 1,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Can you do a full 360 butter at a standstill on flatground? I practiced that a lot first to get used to the momentum required in the windup. Its actually easier once you get moving since you have the additional momentum from traveling downhill.
redlude97 is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
BigmountainVMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sugarloaf, ME / Philly
Posts: 1,204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlude97 View Post
Can you do a full 360 butter at a standstill on flatground? I practiced that a lot first to get used to the momentum required in the windup. Its actually easier once you get moving since you have the additional momentum from traveling downhill.
Haven't tried it a on super flats yet, but I was on a super easy bunny hill when I was practicing. Is it just a matter of winding up enough to get through the whole 360? I would get the first 180 and then my board would sort of lock up (like a switch nose butter) and that was all I could get out of it. I didn't really try just winding up like crazy, cause I was trying to do it slow and smoothish.
BigmountainVMD is offline  
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member
 
redlude97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Seattle/Portland
Posts: 1,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigmountainVMD View Post
Haven't tried it a on super flats yet, but I was on a super easy bunny hill when I was practicing. Is it just a matter of winding up enough to get through the whole 360? I would get the first 180 and then my board would sort of lock up (like a switch nose butter) and that was all I could get out of it. I didn't really try just winding up like crazy, cause I was trying to do it slow and smoothish.
I don't usually wind up a lot when doing full butters but its the only way on flat ground. I also have trouble getting all the way around if I start the butter from a tailpress so I usually initiate it by doing a heelside turn till perpendicular then starting the butter around the top of the rotation, then I usually have enough momentum to keep it coming around for multiple rotations.
redlude97 is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
BigmountainVMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sugarloaf, ME / Philly
Posts: 1,204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlude97 View Post
I don't usually wind up a lot when doing full butters but its the only way on flat ground. I also have trouble getting all the way around if I start the butter from a tailpress so I usually initiate it by doing a heelside turn till perpendicular then starting the butter around the top of the rotation, then I usually have enough momentum to keep it coming around for multiple rotations.
I see. I didn't really think of this. I'm not sure how I'll have to do it for the examiner... I can't find the 2013 guidelines for what I will have to do and they seem to change from year to year.
BigmountainVMD is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 03:44 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've never really had to wind up my 360 butters. I just go on my edge a little bit and look over my shoulder and that tends to get them around pretty easily.
scrotumphillips is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member
 
Cr0_Reps_Smit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SMiThville, NJ (Summit County in winter)
Posts: 1,698
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
A good progression I use for butters is flat ground 360s while traversing across the hill. This is best done on a wide open trail that is not too steep.

Pretty simple but you just traverse across the hill a bit, (let's just say on your heel edge but it can be done either way, heel being frontside, toes being backside) when you are ready for the spin just throw your back arm across your body while looking over your front shoulder. This will help you get momentum for the spin and get you sliding around on your heel edge, you will get to a point where you need to switch to your toe edge(about parallel to the fall line) then keep the spin going till you switch back to your heels going across the hill the same way you started.

For the backside version of this everything is the same except you start on the opposite edge.

If you can do them going across the hill no problem you can try the flat ground spins while going down the fall line as opposed to across it. This helps control your edge transitions and helps you figure out when you need to be switching edges in the spin so you don't catch one.

To turn those into butters, once you are about 90 degrees into the spin, get your weight on your back leg while boning out your front leg. This should get you in a press and after that everything else is the same, just with your weight on one leg as opposed to evenly on both.

There are many different ways and variations to the butter but this is what I found to be the simplest way for getting a foundation of spinning in a butter.
Cr0_Reps_Smit is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 06:18 PM
Resident Snowman
 
aiidoneus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 608
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr0_Reps_Smit View Post
A good progression I use for butters is flat ground 360s while traversing across the hill. This is best done on a wide open trail that is not too steep.

Pretty simple but you just traverse across the hill a bit, (let's just say on your heel edge but it can be done either way, heel being frontside, toes being backside) when you are ready for the spin just throw your back arm across your body while looking over your front shoulder. This will help you get momentum for the spin and get you sliding around on your heel edge, you will get to a point where you need to switch to your toe edge(about parallel to the fall line) then keep the spin going till you switch back to your heels going across the hill the same way you started.

For the backside version of this everything is the same except you start on the opposite edge.

If you can do them going across the hill no problem you can try the flat ground spins while going down the fall line as opposed to across it. This helps control your edge transitions and helps you figure out when you need to be switching edges in the spin so you don't catch one.

To turn those into butters, once you are about 90 degrees into the spin, get your weight on your back leg while boning out your front leg. This should get you in a press and after that everything else is the same, just with your weight on one leg as opposed to evenly on both.

There are many different ways and variations to the butter but this is what I found to be the simplest way for getting a foundation of spinning in a butter.
I agree, with the one exception that learning to nose roll a 180 may be a better in between step before a full 360 press.
aiidoneus is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 06:22 PM
Resident Snowman
 
aiidoneus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 608
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlude97 View Post
I don't usually wind up a lot when doing full butters but its the only way on flat ground. I also have trouble getting all the way around if I start the butter from a tailpress so I usually initiate it by doing a heelside turn till perpendicular then starting the butter around the top of the rotation, then I usually have enough momentum to keep it coming around for multiple rotations.
I do roughly the same thing. If I want to keep the spin past 360, I just rotate my upper body a bit past the board so my arms and board make a slight X. This keeps it rotating for as long as I want.
aiidoneus is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 09:11 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
neshawnp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ontario
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Start rotation w hip, shoulder after, head after, n head up, eyes always looking in direction of rotation. timing thru mileage my friend

"There is no road to happiness, happiness is the road." -Buddha

Matt 7:12 -

A tree has both straight and crooked branches; the symmetry of the tree, however, is perfect. Life is balanced like a tree. When you consider the struggles, difficulties, and sorrows as a part of it, then you see it as beautiful and perfect. George M. Lamsa
neshawnp is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome