Quick Question... - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 04:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Jed
Veteran Member
 
Jed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Whistler, BC
Posts: 761
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atoxa View Post
Hey, tomorrow I'm going to be working on 360s, and Im wondering when I first start working on them whether or not I should go BS or FS. I'm very comfortable with my FS 180, I'm not too comfortable with BS 180s yet. The jump im hitting is probably a 10 fter, unfortunately no pow landing but hey, theres like never any snow around here.
If you learnt fs 180s first, it's totally normal to be more comfortable with frontside 360s before bs 360s. Nothing wrong with going for fs 360 before bs 360.

Everyone has a preferred spin side when they first start spinning and it's usually the direction that they started learning 180s first.

That said, once you learn and master fs 360s, make sure you go back and work on the other spin directions because leaving them too long is like leaving your switch riding too long. It becomes harder and harder to force yourself to spin other directions as the skill gap between your frontside spin and other spins grow.

Also, I'd recommend practicing 360 technique on flat ground. You can learn and practice most of the technique on flat ground before you take it to a jump. That's really the safest and easiest way to learn 360s.
__________________
I teach snowboarding via step-by-step videos lessons at Snomie.com - How To Snowboard Videos, Snowboard Tips & Snowboard Lessons
Jed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-20-2013, 05:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Atoxa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 134
Default

@Jed What do you mean by practicing the technique on flat ground? Do you mean strapping my snowboard on, and trying to turn a full 360 in a jump? I can't do that, I can do a 180, or do you mean sliding down a slope and doing a 360 without a jump? I can do that, but I guess I could practice it more.

@Bush Yeah, that jump kinda sucked. :P Wasn't paying attention on a method, didn't bring my board down all the way fast enough and pretty much bellyflopped the landing. :P
Atoxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
Jed
Veteran Member
 
Jed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Whistler, BC
Posts: 761
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atoxa View Post
@Jed What do you mean by practicing the technique on flat ground? Do you mean strapping my snowboard on, and trying to turn a full 360 in a jump? I can't do that, I can do a 180, or do you mean sliding down a slope and doing a 360 without a jump? I can do that, but I guess I could practice it more.
Yeah the second one. Sliding down a green run and practice carving in and popping into a 360.

Once you can do that every time then you're ready to take it on a jump, but getting that carving technique down on a flat green run first is very important to smooth 360 rotation.
__________________
I teach snowboarding via step-by-step videos lessons at Snomie.com - How To Snowboard Videos, Snowboard Tips & Snowboard Lessons
Jed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 328
Default

While on the FS/BS point, i assume that FS (for a natural rider) means anti-clockwise right?

If thats the case then why is a FS boardslide the one where we face our backside down the mountain (i.e. 90 degree clockwise turn into the boardslide). Completely threw me off guard when looking at youtube videos...
tokyo_dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
Jed
Veteran Member
 
Jed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Whistler, BC
Posts: 761
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyo_dom View Post
While on the FS/BS point, i assume that FS (for a natural rider) means anti-clockwise right?

If thats the case then why is a FS boardslide the one where we face our backside down the mountain (i.e. 90 degree clockwise turn into the boardslide). Completely threw me off guard when looking at youtube videos...
When talking about rail/box tricks, fs/bs is no longer about which way you spin, but rather which side of the rail you approach from.

So if you approach with the rail in front of you it becomes frontside, if you approach with the rail behind you it becomes backside.
__________________
I teach snowboarding via step-by-step videos lessons at Snomie.com - How To Snowboard Videos, Snowboard Tips & Snowboard Lessons
Jed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:05 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 328
Default

Fair enough. To me i still see it as putting my frontside forwards, but have to ignore that instinct and think the reverse

Looking forward to cleaning up my 3s this weekend. I am like the OP i think in that my backside 180s are much more 'forced' and i doubt i could pull off a 360 that direction
tokyo_dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:19 PM   #17 (permalink)
Resident Snowman
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 521
Default

Great advice here. My biggest issue was not sucking up my knees when doing spins. I dunno why it took me so long to realize it. Straight airs I did it well every time. Then again at first, straight airs and grabs were much easier and that naturally brings up your knees.

Anyway good luck! If your hill has lots of side hits they are a great second step to flats practice.
aiidoneus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:35 AM   #18 (permalink)
Land of the Potato
 
IdahoFreshies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Boise Idaho
Posts: 1,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed View Post
When talking about rail/box tricks, fs/bs is no longer about which way you spin, but rather which side of the rail you approach from.

So if you approach with the rail in front of you it becomes frontside, if you approach with the rail behind you it becomes backside.
It is so hard to explain this to people. Some people just refuse to understand that is how the rail tricks are classified.
__________________
If you don't like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredLife View Post
do they even make chaps with asses?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
I think they call them pants
IdahoFreshies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:10 AM   #19 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed View Post
Yeah the second one. Sliding down a green run and practice carving in and popping into a 360.

Once you can do that every time then you're ready to take it on a jump, but getting that carving technique down on a flat green run first is very important to smooth 360 rotation.
Carving in toe or heel depending on spin directionnright? Or does that matter ?
bushwakhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:30 AM   #20 (permalink)
Resident Snowman
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 521
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwakhan View Post
Carving in toe or heel depending on spin directionnright? Or does that matter ?
I think it is easier to do FS from your heel edge, and BS from your toe. Although you can 1 and 3 from either edge, as you do larger spins you will want to follow the above advice.
aiidoneus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:36 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums