First 360, could you give me pointers? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 10:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 102
Default First 360, could you give me pointers?

first 360s - YouTube

So I finally landed a 360 at last. It looks so much uglier than I remembered it to be. Anyways, I noticed that I need to suck my knees earlier, which will let me push harder and I need to speed up a tiny bit more. My hands somehow are on the wrong side, which makes it look really awkward.. and I should suck in my knees during the spinning motion. It looks like I'm landing tail heavy, was it because I threw my shoulder a bit too high?

Last edited by Lifprasir; 02-23-2013 at 10:18 PM.
Lifprasir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-23-2013, 10:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Jed
Veteran Member
 
Jed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Whistler, BC
Posts: 761
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifprasir View Post
first 360s - YouTube

So I finally landed a 360 at last. It looks so much uglier than I remembered it to be. Anyways, I noticed that I need to suck my knees earlier, which will let me push harder and I need to speed up a tiny bit more. My hands somehow are on the wrong side, which makes it look really awkward.. and I should suck in my knees during the spinning motion. It looks like I'm landing tail heavy, was it because I threw my shoulder a bit too high?
I don't see any real issues with your knees. Yeah you could have brought them up more and you should definitely throw a grab into that spin too, but it wasn't that bad.

The bigger problem I saw was your spin setup technique that relied entirely on your upper body and pre-winding just before you left the lip.

1) Carve

I didn't see any carving to create rotation.

It seemed to be all coming from your pre-wind and pop, which is fine once you get more advanced, but right now your pre-wind and pop are very rough and you're getting basically zero rotation help from your carve (or lack of carve.

If you carve correctly you won't need to pop so hard and the 360 won't look so forced by your body because your body is assisting with the 360, not create the entire rotation.

example here: The Secret To An Effortless 360 Rotation - The Perfect Carve Line

If you combine what you're doing now (pop+upper body rotation) with carving correctly, you'll find you don't have to pop as hard or throw the spin as hard with your body and it'll make it way easier to spin a smooth 360.

2) Land blind


You over-rotated your frontside 360 because you didn't spot your landing correctly.

Frontside 360s should be landed blind. So you basically need to be looking down/back uphill as you ride away. If you try to turn your head to look downhill you'll slip into a 540, which is what you did in the video.

Only turn your head to look downhill after you've stomped the trick and are riding away clean.
__________________
I teach snowboarding via step-by-step videos lessons at Snomie.com - How To Snowboard Videos, Snowboard Tips & Snowboard Lessons

Last edited by Jed; 02-23-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Jed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 102
Default

Okay, I'll test out the carving thing next time I go to the mountains. As for landing blindly. I wasn't trying to get a view of the landing, I just froze my entire upper body with my head once I left the lip, I could've basically closed my eyes and done the spin . So I should aim to look at the uphill when I spin front 3's>?

Can you confirm me if I popped off my heel edges in the video? I have this image in my head that if I carve, I'll be popping off my heel edge and end up off axis... :/ thanks!

Last edited by Lifprasir; 02-23-2013 at 11:43 PM.
Lifprasir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Jed
Veteran Member
 
Jed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Whistler, BC
Posts: 761
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifprasir View Post
Okay, I'll test out the carving thing next time I go to the mountains. As for landing blindly. I wasn't trying to get a view of the landing, I just froze my entire upper body with my head once I left the lip, I could've basically closed my eyes and done the spin . So I should aim to look at the uphill when I spin front 3's>?
Yep - front 360s are basically always landed with that blind landing instead of trying to turn your head downhill to spot the landing.

It's similar to how you'd land a backside 180 by looking back uphill/down at your feet as you land to stop the rotation.

As far as your heel edge goes, you're meant to pop off your heel edge on frontside 360s. In your video you popped off your heels as well, even though it was a very late heel edge with no carve.

Some people do frontside spins off their toes to get more pop, but the majority of people spin frontside off their heels.
__________________
I teach snowboarding via step-by-step videos lessons at Snomie.com - How To Snowboard Videos, Snowboard Tips & Snowboard Lessons
Jed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 32
Default

i agree w/ jed....during your carve keep both legs flexed. it looks as if you're extending your right leg which is pushing your hips to the tail of the board. keeping both knees flexed in line (parallel) w/ the board will help your carve and help you spin. this will also help you pop off by extending the flexed legs.
GOskiLF_bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOskiLF_bum View Post
i agree w/ jed....during your carve keep both legs flexed. it looks as if you're extending your right leg which is pushing your hips to the tail of the board. keeping both knees flexed in line (parallel) w/ the board will help your carve and help you spin. this will also help you pop off by extending the flexed legs.
Oh I didn't notice that only my left knee was bended.. That explains why I always tend to fall back.. thanks lol xD
Lifprasir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 102
Default

Okay so I took your tips. Creating the platform was really easy since I always used to do it but I didn't do it this season for some reason. When I did this, I always over-rotated even when I stopped my heads rotation on the knuckle for blind landing.. Am I supposed to counter-rotate as soon as I have a view of the knuckle to control the rotation?
Lifprasir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 32
Default

i have the same struggles. what i found easiest for me was landing blind and holding my head looking back at the jump for an extra second or two. I found myself landing blind then rotating my head too quickly to see where I was going, which was making me want to continue my spin on the ground (revert). my advice...look back at the jump for an extra second or two before you rotate your head back to the normal position.
GOskiLF_bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ig88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed View Post
......

If you carve correctly you won't need to pop so hard and the 360 won't look so forced by your body because your body is assisting with the 360, not create the entire rotation.

example here: The Secret To An Effortless 360 Rotation - The Perfect Carve Line ......
Hello Jed, I have watched your other POV video on 360 practice on green runs. Thanks for the detailed narration throughout the video. Your idea is great. Would you happen to have a video of such a practice run with another person filming you? I want to know how much space you are taking up around you, and how high you got off the ground as you practicing a drill like this on the green run.

Last edited by ig88; 03-07-2013 at 10:26 PM. Reason: add question
ig88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
Jed
Veteran Member
 
Jed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Whistler, BC
Posts: 761
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ig88 View Post
Hello Jed, I have watched your other POV video on 360 practice on green runs. Thanks for the detailed narration throughout the video. Your idea is great. Would you happen to have a video of such a practice run with another person filming you? I want to know how much space you are taking up around you, and how high you got off the ground as you practicing a drill like this on the green run.
Unfortunately I don't have 3rd person POV video.

Basically I picture a small run in for a jump and do my carve within that area. It's not so important how wide it is, but rather it's more about focusing on getting your carve correct within your imaginary run-in.

As for how high you get off the ground, that's not really important either. As long as you can pop correctly and get off the ground, it's fine. The exercise is more about learning to pop correctly with the right timing than it is about popping hard/high.
__________________
I teach snowboarding via step-by-step videos lessons at Snomie.com - How To Snowboard Videos, Snowboard Tips & Snowboard Lessons
Jed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:46 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums