Scorpioned while flat basing and now I can't anymore - Page 4 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 10:53 PM   #31 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member
 
ETM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Nagano, Japan.
Posts: 2,100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by East告de View Post
This is how that explanation reads to me :


I ride sloppy and without control and let the board steer me and then then I realize I need to get control I use an edge. You know when I ride flat based? When I'm tired and riding sloppy. It's basically like you're pressing the gas pedal on your car with your hands off the wall and grabbing the wheel right before you crash. It's a good thing no one drives that way.

Whatever works for you. It sounds like you let the board steer you . I'd try and break that habit.. There's absolutely no use for it
Dude you need to chill. Did I say I ride like that all day? Um no. I just said I can and you got panty knots. The fact is I can and it does have some uses being able to do it, I cant even remember the last time I caught an edge and I ride fast with edges tuned very aggressively.
ETM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-12-2013, 10:58 PM   #32 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member
 
ETM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Nagano, Japan.
Posts: 2,100
Default

LOL TT you nailed it.
Dude is just ignorant and thinks he has mastered the riding of snowboards when he clearly hasnt.
ETM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:00 PM   #33 (permalink)
jtg
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 608
Default

Haha I see this is a controversial topic!

The debate about whether or not you are truly ever flat basing is semi-legitimate, but the "no true snowboarder would ever do this" comments we can do without I think.

It's obviously not physics defying to do it. On a perfectly flat slope with a perfectly balanced snowboard and perfect snow, aimed perfectly down the hill, the snowboard will go down without catching an edge. Whether it's practical to do this in the real world, and for how long, I'm not qualified to say.

I'm a little skeptical of the school of thought that people who are "flat basing" are always on some edge, even if only slightly, but maybe that is the case. The main reason I am skeptical is because I've seen them do this on the hill in a straight line and I've seen the tracks it left. Favoring any edge will cause drift. I didn't actually measure, so maybe they drift ever so slightly proportionate to them using an edge ever so slightly, but it sure seems like people have periods of flat base riding as appropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
As for bordercross, except when popping off of the lip of a jump, bordercross racers are generally carving. A carved turn will actually accelerate the rider where as a flat based skidding turn slows the rider. To win, these guys want speed and are carving not flat basing.
In turns, yes, definitely they don't want skidding. However, during any flat sections, they want the most direct line possible. If they have a direct, optimal line for a section of the course, I can't imagine that they are going to deviate from that path whatsoever just to use an edge. The only way to go perfectly straight is to be flat. If you're turning at all, you don't want flat, as that will skid, as you say. But when going straight, flat is faster. Think about it, you have a direct line, you are going to turn or veer unnecessarily and waste precious tenths of a second to avoid an edge catch? Gold medal on the line?

I have no experience with that obviously, but thinking logically, observing them, and considering basic physics, you're saying they're never actually flat? If you are sure of that, I'll defer to your expertise, but that would definitely surprise me.

Last edited by jtg; 03-12-2013 at 11:08 PM.
jtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:19 PM   #34 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
snowman55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 233
Default

I also flat base but for a different reason. I ride a lot on icy conditions (east coast night riding). Depeding on how bad the ice is, I feel more secure riding flat over ice than being on a dull edge over ice.
snowman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:30 PM   #35 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
East告de's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 922
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETM View Post
A mistake is not a mistake if you realise its about to happen and make a correction before it kicks your ass.
This is just a stupid statement.

Mis•take

n.
1. An error or fault resulting from defective judgment, deficient knowledge, or carelessness.
2. A misconception or misunderstanding.

You can correct a mistake. It's still a mistake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETM View Post
Dude you need to chill. Did I say I ride like that all day? Um no. I just said I can and you got panty knots. The fact is I can and it does have some uses being able to do it, I cant even remember the last time I caught an edge and I ride fast with edges tuned very aggressively.
I'm very chill. I don't give a shit how you ride, I just think that you're explanation is moronic. You've basically said multiple times that you let the board steer you wherever it wants and you just do damage control if it gets dangerous. I never claimed to be an expert rider, but if you're riding your board bombing a hill flat based, I can't in any way imagine a scenario in which you have ANY control unless the surface is perfectly flat and perfectly straight. As far as I know, this doesn't exist in nature. Make a film of yourself doing this and prove me wrong.
I wasn't trying to argue with you, idc how you ride.

I defer to SnoWolf.. He knows alot more about this than many of us. I can't see how it's practical to ride like that.
__________________

Never Summer Evo 153/Restricted ReFlex Cartel
Gnu Danny Kass 156 BTX

Last edited by East告de; 03-12-2013 at 11:33 PM.
East告de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:38 PM   #36 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
timmytard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: I can see Santa shoveling his driveway
Posts: 2,483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETM View Post
LOL TT you nailed it.
Dude is just ignorant and thinks he has mastered the riding of snowboards when he clearly hasnt.
That's funny, I started typing before I read your "ball rolling down the hill" analogy

Which is pretty much the same as letting your board go free on its own, it follows the contours of the land. Just like a ball would

Fuck we're smart, & apparently we can ride a snowboard fairly well too

I don't know how long you've been riding?
But I got 25 years & between ETM & I it's gotta be close to 50 years experience or more saying this.

We are right

Thank you, come again.


TT
__________________
If whatever doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger.

Then I am so close to immortality
timmytard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:39 PM   #37 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 503
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman55 View Post
I also flat base but for a different reason. I ride a lot on icy conditions (east coast night riding). Depeding on how bad the ice is, I feel more secure riding flat over ice than being on a dull edge over ice.
ice is completely different. unless your board has extreme traction I'd advise flat basing. and i'm not saying it's impossible to flat base. i'm saying that if you do it frequently for several seconds at a time, it's not very smart and you will catch an edge.

you are probably very slightly pressuring your edge while you flat base anyways just like driving a car on the highway. you always move your wheel very slightly to avoid drifting and correct the wind's effects. in the same way, you always slightly adjust pressure on an edge while flat basing for any considerable period of time.
Rookie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:45 PM   #38 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
timmytard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: I can see Santa shoveling his driveway
Posts: 2,483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
This argument comes up all of the time and it is retarded. People like Timmytard and ETM are making absolutist statement that flat basing is always faster. People who say that carving is always faster are equally incorrect. The absolute truth here is it depends!

Come ride heavy wet Cascade powder that has baked in the sun all afternoon and is transitioning into corn. I can garantee that carving on edge is faster than flat basing because this slop is sticky as glue. The water content in this snow creates such incredible surface tension that a flat base gets stuck to it like a sweating glass to a glass table even with a structured base.

Now with packed powder, it is really going to depend on the base and wax being used as well as snow conditions. A guy with a sintered base with the right wax for the temperature is going to go faster on a flat base than on an edge. A guy with an extruded base or an unwaxed sintered base will be faster on his edge.

On ice, most everyone will go a little faster on a flat base than on edge.

In powder, no one rides on edge and flat based is the way to ride. Even so, board profile, base material, structure and wax will make a noticeable difference in glide on powder.

The bottom line here too is that with a few exceptions, the differences in speed and glide for the average non pro comp rider will be negligible so ride how you want as it really is not going to be a huge difference except in those special conditions like sticky snow.
I'm not saying it's always faster, my boards right now haven't been waxed in a while.

A few days ago, it was really warm in the sun, the shaded areas were slicker than snot.

I had to ride on edge in any area that the sun was shining on, if not, there was so much drag it felt like I was going to fly over the handlebars when I suddenly went from shade to sun.

But I will say when the conditions are perfect(which they never are) & your board is waxed & tuned perfectly.

The flat baser wins the race.


TT
__________________
If whatever doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger.

Then I am so close to immortality

Last edited by timmytard; 03-12-2013 at 11:51 PM.
timmytard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:49 PM   #39 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
timmytard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: I can see Santa shoveling his driveway
Posts: 2,483
Default

My position wasn't about which was faster?

Mine was more about the "You can't ever", "No one does" & "Your out of control, if you do"

About flat basing, cause all that is, is bull shit.


TT
__________________
If whatever doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger.

Then I am so close to immortality
timmytard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:51 PM   #40 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 503
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmytard View Post
My position wasn't about which was faster?

Mine was more about the "You can't ever", "No one does" & "Your out of control, if you do"

About flat basing, cause all that is, is bull shit.


TT
if you are flat basing, you are "out of control" until you re-engage an edge. simply because you can't control a board without its edge.
Rookie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:06 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums