Scorpioned while flat basing and now I can't anymore - Page 6 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 11:32 PM   #51 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member
 
ETM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The winds are a changing
Posts: 1,956
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie09 View Post
you also wrote this
And its true jerry. I can. You dont know me, you dont know where or how I ride yet you think your life experience has armed you with the knowledge to tell me I am wrong.
I am simply trying to point out to you that there may be more to this than you realise.
I know exactly what you are trying to say, I have experienced it. You have no idea what I am trying to say, you have not experienced it.
ETM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-12-2013, 11:37 PM   #52 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 384
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETM View Post
And its true jerry. I can. You dont know me, you dont know where or how I ride yet you think your life experience has armed you with the knowledge to tell me I am wrong.
I am simply trying to point out to you that there may be more to this than you realise.
I know exactly what you are trying to say, I have experienced it. You have no idea what I am trying to say, you have not experienced it.
even if i give you %100 benefit of the doubt and say that whatever the fastest you've ever ridden you can sustain it while flat-basing, your comment is still wrong. "without ever going near an edge"???? sorry but at least one edge is ALWAYS touching the ground unless you're sitting on top of a ridge of snow that's less than a foot wide. you are always near an edge.
Rookie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:42 PM   #53 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
MistahTaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 1,371
Default

whats your point rookie? flat basing is possible. end of story.
MistahTaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:42 PM   #54 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member
 
ETM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The winds are a changing
Posts: 1,956
Default

I may not be the worlds best wordsmith but you know what I mean.
Im dead serious about this lol. I can point my board down a run and go straight for as long as the undulations in the terrain allow completely flat on my base. I now realise it is hard for some of you guys to believe but its true

Rodney mullin on a skateboard can do a kickflip, knock the board back the other way mid air, land on it upside down and slide along a box then do a 360 flip out and ride away. Sounds fucking impossible, but he does it.
ETM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:47 PM   #55 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vail, CO
Posts: 3,572
Default

I agree with etm and TT. I flatbase alot here. It takes practice and alot of riding flat to get used to it. Its a lot faster on flats and cat tracks. Its faster on a soft surface. On chucky wet snow am edge is alot smoother and faster than flat base. I was riding with a few instructors earlier this season and they were shocked how comfortable and fast I was on a flat base, they couldn't or didnt like doing it. I can ride full speed flat base also.

Making blanket statements either way is retarded but I think eastside is the only one that made aa blanket statement with regards to one form of riding over the other.
Argo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:50 PM   #56 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 384
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETM View Post
I may not be the worlds best wordsmith but you know what I mean.
Im dead serious about this lol. I can point my board down a run and go straight for as long as the undulations in the terrain allow completely flat on my base. I now realise it is hard for some of you guys to believe but its true

Rodney mullin on a skateboard can do a kickflip, knock the board back the other way mid air, land on it upside down and slide along a box then do a 360 flip out and ride away. Sounds fucking impossible, but he does it.
I'm not saying that you can't do that. I can point my board straight down the hill and ride it as long as I want to as well. that being said, I always keep an edge slightly pressured so I can engage at a moments notice. I'm also not saying that it's impossible to do it your way as well. If you want to have no edge pressure, no tendency to engage a specific edge at a moment notice, and you can want to let the mountain take you where it wants, then props to you. But sooner or later, the mountain might decide it doesn't like you anyway and will knock you down. If that's the way you like it, then go ahead and ride that way. I'm not going to because if I'm going to get hurt, I'd rather do it while attempting something not so pointless.
Rookie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:59 PM   #57 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member
 
ETM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The winds are a changing
Posts: 1,956
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie09 View Post
. If that's the way you like it, then go ahead and ride that way. I'm not going to .

I honestly dont recall asking you to.

I simply made a statement and in the short time since has been completely backed up by other members so perhaps you can understand there may be some truth to it.
ETM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:03 AM   #58 (permalink)
jtg
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 428
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
Additionally when advising others; especially new riders, veterans have a responsibility to give the best and safest advice so these riders progress safely and on a manner that allows them to develop these skills with the ability to handle it.
That's fine as long as it doesn't cross the line to giving false information. As I said, I scorpioned on a flat cat track, which I was flat basing on because you need speed, as you said.

I'm not looking for tips on how to wrecklessly bomb a run on a flat base. From my perspective, I can't even safely get speed to make it up a flat section on a flat base, yet I see others not only doing that regularly, but also bombing. Which suggests to me that it's possible to do reliably without spilling. That's the reason for the question.
jtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:07 AM   #59 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 384
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtg View Post
That's fine as long as it doesn't cross the line to giving false information. As I said, I scorpioned on a flat cat track, which I was flat basing on because you need speed, as you said.

I'm not looking for tips on how to wrecklessly bomb a run on a flat base. From my perspective, I can't even safely get speed to make it up a flat section on a flat base, yet I see others not only doing that regularly, but also bombing. Which suggests to me that it's possible to do reliably without spilling. That's the reason for the question.
To progress, you have to pressure an edge. Keep your knees bent in a dynamic stance so you're alert and always ready to correct if you need to. The more you do it the more comfortable you will get and you can then start to relax on it a bit more. If you to, you can move on to completely flat basing runs, but that is unnecessary for practical purposes. You probably won't be able to tell the difference in speed between using no edge and using slight pressure on an edge.
Rookie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:11 AM   #60 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member
 
ETM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The winds are a changing
Posts: 1,956
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtg View Post
That's fine as long as it doesn't cross the line to giving false information. As I said, I scorpioned on a flat cat track, which I was flat basing on because you need speed, as you said.

I'm not looking for tips on how to wrecklessly bomb a run on a flat base. From my perspective, I can't even safely get speed to make it up a flat section on a flat base, yet I see others not only doing that regularly, but also bombing. Which suggests to me that it's possible to do reliably without spilling. That's the reason for the question.
Its very hard to explain how its done, reading the terrain is key, you have to let it take you where it wants to and you have to know where its going to take you. You also have to be totally comfortable on your board and very loose with your body. Its not something that you can force yourself to learn but eventually it should come to you. I can flat base without even thinking about it these days.
ETM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:28 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums