Can only do Corked 360s? - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member
 
Cr0_Reps_Smit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SMiThville, NJ (Summit County in winter)
Posts: 1,698
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerkat89 View Post
So basically...I can only do corked backside 360's. Besides the fact that I've completely skipped 180s(which I will work on), Is this going to hamper my progression if I don't try to get down regular 3's? Or will this give me an advantage with more advanced tricks later?
if you can't spin flat before corking you will throw yourself off once you start doing bigger tricks, your body gets used to throwing it one way and when you want to try something different muscle memory takes over.
being able to control whether you spin flat, cork, and how much you cork is huge when going to bigger jumps or trying to turn the 3's into 5's, 7's and so on.
Cr0_Reps_Smit is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 02:50 AM
Jed
Veteran Member
 
Jed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Whistler, BC
Posts: 813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Your why: It's going to screw you up when you hit bigger jumps and spin bigger rotations because you aren't able to control your cork properly.

Anyone can cork by throwing their shoulder down, but being able to control how much you cork and when you cork is going to be more and more important as you hit bigger features and do bigger tricks.

Learning control over how and when you spin is a fundamental basic skill that you'll use for a lot of other snowboard tricks and if you skip it you're only handicapping yourself later and building bad muscle memory.

Oh and I highly suggest going back and learning 180s. Skipping steps in progression is always a bad idea.

I teach snowboarding via step-by-step videos lessons at Snomie.com - How To Snowboard Videos, Snowboard Tips & Snowboard Lessons

Last edited by Jed; 03-28-2013 at 02:54 AM.
Jed is offline  
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
SnowOwl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bear Mountain
Posts: 898
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed View Post
Your why: It's going to screw you up when you hit bigger jumps and spin bigger rotations because you aren't able to control your cork properly.

Anyone can cork by throwing their shoulder down, but being able to control how much you cork and when you cork is going to be more and more important as you hit bigger features and do bigger tricks.

Learning control over how and when you spin is a fundamental basic skill that you'll use for a lot of other snowboard tricks and if you skip it you're only handicapping yourself later and building bad muscle memory.

Oh and I highly suggest going back and learning 180s. Skipping steps in progression is always a bad idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr0_Reps_Smit View Post
if you can't spin flat before corking you will throw yourself off once you start doing bigger tricks, your body gets used to throwing it one way and when you want to try something different muscle memory takes over.
being able to control whether you spin flat, cork, and how much you cork is huge when going to bigger jumps or trying to turn the 3's into 5's, 7's and so on.
Awesome. Thank you. Now I understand ,didn't mean to be a challenging troll. I just want to understand more so I know what to work on or w.e. thank you both. And I will do the 180s. One of the sexiest things imo is a nice front 1
SnowOwl is offline  
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 03:14 PM
Member
 
goalieman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerkat89 View Post
I also stated I do them on purpose. Using a cork approach, I execute a cork spin. On purpose. I can't do regulars because it hurts my ankle.
This doesn't make sense. You claim you do them on purpose, yet you initially said you're not sure how you do them(and that you can only do them that way). To me, doing something on purpose implies that there are other possible options... which for you, seems like there aren't.

On another note, would love to see these "corked" 360s. In my opinion(and others), it's not really cork-able until you spin another rotation.
goalieman24 is offline  
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member
 
Casual's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 726
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goalieman24 View Post
This doesn't make sense. You claim you do them on purpose, yet you initially said you're not sure how you do them(and that you can only do them that way). To me, doing something on purpose implies that there are other possible options... which for you, seems like there aren't.

On another note, would love to see these "corked" 360s. In my opinion(and others), it's not really cork-able until you spin another rotation.
I know right?
Casual is offline  
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
SnowOwl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bear Mountain
Posts: 898
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goalieman24 View Post
This doesn't make sense. You claim you do them on purpose, yet you initially said you're not sure how you do them(and that you can only do them that way). To me, doing something on purpose implies that there are other possible options... which for you, seems like there aren't.

On another note, would love to see these "corked" 360s. In my opinion(and others), it's not really cork-able until you spin another rotation.
guess you missed the part where i already addressed that. Go back and read it. Pretty sure a corked spin is a spin that's off axis or am I wrong? I'm sure it's easily possible to rotate 360 degrees off axis. Planets do it no?
SnowOwl is offline  
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 10:46 AM
Member
 
goalieman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerkat89 View Post
guess you missed the part where i already addressed that. Go back and read it. Pretty sure a corked spin is a spin that's off axis or am I wrong? I'm sure it's easily possible to rotate 360 degrees off axis. Planets do it no?
I did read it, and my point remains the same. You're saying its on purpose, but you can't do it any other way. If it was on purpose, you'd be able to spin other ways.
"I'm sure it's easily possible to rotate 360 degrees off axis" doesn't sound like something someone would say if they were actually doing it. Those who have said they do this "trick" usually just end up doing some sloppy and flailing spin. Videos needed, otherwise my doubt remains.
Not a great planet analogy either...
goalieman24 is offline  
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
SnowOwl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bear Mountain
Posts: 898
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goalieman24 View Post
I did read it, and my point remains the same. You're saying its on purpose, but you can't do it any other way. If it was on purpose, you'd be able to spin other ways.
"I'm sure it's easily possible to rotate 360 degrees off axis" doesn't sound like something someone would say if they were actually doing it. Those who have said they do this "trick" usually just end up doing some sloppy and flailing spin. Videos needed, otherwise my doubt remains.
Not a great planet analogy either...
So when I said I used shitty wording to illustrate my confusion on how this even came to be and me saying that it was poor wording wasn't good enough for you? Wow. Anyway, I also said I have issues with other rotations because my injury. Pretty sure that means I'm making a conscious decision to purposely use a different attempt to avoid further aggravating my injury. Planet wasn't good enough? Get a ball. pierce a stick through it off centered. Now rotate the ball around the stick. Off centered rotation. Same thing. Are you just trying to troll me or something? And I'm not gonna post a video to satisfy a trolls doubt.

Last edited by SnowOwl; 03-30-2013 at 12:58 PM.
SnowOwl is offline  
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 01:11 PM
Jed
Veteran Member
 
Jed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Whistler, BC
Posts: 813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think they're getting confused because a cork 3 usually put you in kind of an awkward angle to land. People don't typically cork spins below 540 because of this.

It can be done, but it's pretty awkward and requires a lot of adjusting of your body to fix your angle mid air and land properly.

This goes back to understanding basic spinning and corked technique, but you'll find that with proper technique on corking and spinning it's 100 times more fun and easier to cork 540 vs. doing a cork 360 that doesn't naturally fit into an off-axis rotation.

I teach snowboarding via step-by-step videos lessons at Snomie.com - How To Snowboard Videos, Snowboard Tips & Snowboard Lessons
Jed is offline  
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member
 
Casual's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 726
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is such a troll thread.

OP doesn't want your honest opinion, he wants you to say "wow man you can cork your 3's, that's so rad!".

I know so many guys that learned varial kickflips skateboarding because they were fucking up their kickflips and they were like "rad man I got varial flips". They could not do kickflips though, and the varial versions were horrid because they weren't really trying for those either.

Landing one trick because you fucked up another isn't progression.

If you are injured maybe you should stop snowboarding until you're able to do so without pain. But getting pissed at everyone that's giving you good advice is just dumb. You change your story with every post and your ego clearly is not capable of taking criticism so I suggest not posting on a forum at all. Every one is telling you to back it up and learn fundamentals, stop getting upset at them for being honest.
Casual is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome