Workout program... - Page 5 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 08:44 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You have decided a good thing and because i personally feel that its an important thing i mean working out and staying active appropriate food these are the things that we really need to bother.Glad to see it.

pt documentation software

Last edited by Alexis; 07-06-2013 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Spellings
Alexis is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 03:26 AM
Senior Member
 
zackmorris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I've been lifting for 5+ years and am a former personal trainer.

I always switch up my routine 2 months prior to boarding season with this.


Box Squats
High Foot Leg Press
Hack Squat
Lying/Seated Leg Curl
Seated/Standing Calve raises

I'll do 15-20 reps and minimal rest. I'm always the least sore and have the most endurance. I've noticed having strong legs makes a world of difference on your board.


cheers

Cherry Waves
zackmorris is offline  
post #43 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 04:47 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
To the OP:

I'm a hockey player too and I find that snowboarding hits your legs in a different way.

I found this workout to be helpful:

28 Minute Snowboard Workout - Fitness Blender Conditioning Workout Routine - YouTube
ju87 is offline  
post #44 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
KillerDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Milton Keynes, UK
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the input guys!

ju87, You're so right, I've been trying out lots of stuff including plyometrics and my legs are getting stronger than ever before!!!

I guess time will tell if it's actually making a difference when we go on our first trip to the real mountains!!!???

On our indoor slope, I am deffinately seeing the session (longest is 4hrs park) without too much fatigue and never sore the next day...

I'll check out the video.. Thanks!

Just checked it... I do some of that now but also squats on a ballance board! Thanks for the video though... I'll bring it into what I'm doing now! :-y

Last edited by KillerDave; 10-08-2013 at 07:25 AM.
KillerDave is offline  
post #45 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 06:11 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
if you can session for 4 hours no problem at the indoor slope you'll probably be fine.

you will have more downtime at a "real mountain" riding lifts, navigating & route-finding etc, so you're not banging out runs non-stop like you are at an indoor slope. 4 hours of indoor might even be more intense than a full day on the mountain.
ju87 is offline  
post #46 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 07:11 AM
jjz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would say that the only smart thing to do is strengthen your legs as a whole while making small adjustments that further enhance the snowboarding benefits.

For example take a typical leg workout:
Squats
Deadlifts
Leg Press
Leg Curl
Calve Raise

But do squats with an extremely slow negative or eccentric phase (Go down very slowly, Explode up)

Same deal with leg press, and leg curl.




Quote:
Originally Posted by zackmorris View Post
I've been lifting for 5+ years and am a former personal trainer.

I always switch up my routine 2 months prior to boarding season with this.


Box Squats
High Foot Leg Press
Hack Squat
Lying/Seated Leg Curl
Seated/Standing Calve raises

I'll do 15-20 reps and minimal rest. I'm always the least sore and have the most endurance. I've noticed having strong legs makes a world of difference on your board.


cheers
Imo, isnt this a little too much for quads and not enough for hamstrings.

Last edited by jjz; 10-09-2013 at 07:13 AM.
jjz is offline  
post #47 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
KillerDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Milton Keynes, UK
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ju87 View Post
if you can session for 4 hours no problem at the indoor slope you'll probably be fine.

you will have more downtime at a "real mountain" riding lifts, navigating & route-finding etc, so you're not banging out runs non-stop like you are at an indoor slope. 4 hours of indoor might even be more intense than a full day on the mountain.
Thanks for that!
Like I've said before, I thought I had great legs and they do me well at hockey but this snowboarding uses muscles in different ways...

As a D man, I don't tend to play forward as much but still go up front and play the faster game when needed plus I can give and take some big hits, good job seeing as I have had a few big falls!

Anyway, it's always good to keep on top of things and when we're out on the mountain, I guess I'll find out then if I'm doing it right?!?!?

Thanks again for the input!
KillerDave is offline  
post #48 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 09:18 AM
Member
 
kaka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
strength, flexibility & conditioning = injury prevention, which is the most important thing
kaka is offline  
post #49 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 09:47 AM
Senior Member
 
zackmorris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjz View Post

Imo, isnt this a little too much for quads and not enough for hamstrings.
Quads are much larger than hamstrings. Plus, most of your riding will be relying on your quads/glutes.

Cherry Waves
zackmorris is offline  
post #50 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 12:39 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerDave View Post
Thanks for that!
Like I've said before, I thought I had great legs and they do me well at hockey but this snowboarding uses muscles in different ways...

As a D man, I don't tend to play forward as much but still go up front and play the faster game when needed plus I can give and take some big hits, good job seeing as I have had a few big falls!

Anyway, it's always good to keep on top of things and when we're out on the mountain, I guess I'll find out then if I'm doing it right?!?!?

Thanks again for the input!
are you the D man going in on the forecheck

tumbling at the rink definitely helps taking falls whilst snowboarding too
ju87 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome