Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Tips, Tricks And Snowboard Coaching (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/tips-tricks-snowboard-coaching/)
-   -   will this tramp help with spins?? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/tips-tricks-snowboard-coaching/81274-will-tramp-help-spins.html)

slyder 05-11-2013 09:25 AM

will this tramp help with spins??
 
Hi guys, My area finally got a trapmoline park. My kids have been there a few times. I just saw it last night.

What I was wondering is if this set-up would allow me to work on my spins. Obviously I would need to run, plant in my goofy stance then push off and spin. Not sure if this would really help me or not. Any thoughts???

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...32856141_n.jpg

Donutz 05-11-2013 09:41 AM

I started tramp lessons last fall, and I'll be starting up again this spring. I've been just doing exercises straight up and down, i.e. no sideways motion. Couple of things it's been good for -- first, I had a tendency to drop my shoulder and end up with a corked spin. Second, I would "unwind" too early and not be able to complete spins. I'm now able to keep looking over my leading shoulder until the right point.

Basically, it helps you to work on the basics. Also with the foam pit you can get used to inverts. ('m just starting on those).

bamfb2 05-11-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donutz (Post 946890)
I started tramp lessons last fall, and I'll be starting up again this spring. I've been just doing exercises straight up and down, i.e. no sideways motion. Couple of things it's been good for -- first, I had a tendency to drop my shoulder and end up with a corked spin. Second, I would "unwind" too early and not be able to complete spins. I'm now able to keep looking over my leading shoulder until the right point.

Basically, it helps you to work on the basics. Also with the foam pit you can get used to inverts. ('m just starting on those).

Do you have a local snowboard/skateboard training park? Or is it just a gymnastics center? What does tramp training cost (and entail)?

EDIT: Also, would they allow you to strap a skate deck on your feet and use that on the tramps?

slyder 05-11-2013 11:26 AM

I'm not working on inverts and wont be. I will be extremely happy to just spin 3's. I may try this, they don't have instructors around here for teh boarding aspect but I"m sure I could get some pointers from people.

I may actually just try this for a few hours... If I do I'll post some pics and info

West Baden Iron 05-11-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donutz (Post 946890)
I started tramp lessons last fall, and I'll be starting up again this spring. I've been just doing exercises straight up and down, i.e. no sideways motion. Couple of things it's been good for -- first, I had a tendency to drop my shoulder and end up with a corked spin. Second, I would "unwind" too early and not be able to complete spins. I'm now able to keep looking over my leading shoulder until the right point.

Basically, it helps you to work on the basics. Also with the foam pit you can get used to inverts. ('m just starting on those).

I'm thinking of buying a backyard trampoline for this. I live so far from places that have them it would pay for itself in a few lessons I think. I was looking at maybe an 8' X 14' rectangle one.

For some reason I really want to learn a backflip. Not real sure why a 39 year old needs to learn that, but I'm determined to learn one. Mainly want to be able to do one on the ground, but if I could translate this to snowboarding it would kick ass.

If I got one, I would for sure use my skateboard deck with foam around the edges or buy one of the boards designed for tramps. Seems like a fun form of exercise anyway.

Jason

Cr0_Reps_Smit 05-11-2013 12:12 PM

Yea, we use trampolines a lot at woodward for dry land training and such. You actually don't want to get a running start or anything like that to spin, ideally you want to be bouncing centered on the tramp and try your spins from there going straight up and back down right were you took off from.

If you find yourself drifting from your starting point a decent amount chances are you are taking off to early and want to wait slightly longer before you initiate the spin.

Once you get comfortable just bouncing in general and spinning try pretending the foam is "down hill" and get in your stance and try the same stuff like you would if you were on snow. So instead of your upper body facing the pit you would have your shoulders perpendicular to it.

If there's anything in particular you are having trouble with or want to work on let me know, I coached people of all ages on the trampolines alllll winter this year at woodward at copper so I picked up a few tips here and there.

blunted_nose 05-11-2013 12:43 PM

very cool but one thing: 3's arent that hard to spin. Even with no basics and just awkwardly hooking you could spin one. hat is hard is doing them big and slow.

Cr0_Reps_Smit 05-11-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blunted_nose (Post 947050)
very cool but one thing: 3's arent that hard to spin. Even with no basics and just awkwardly hooking you could spin one. hat is hard is doing them big and slow.

It's all relative, for a lot of people it's not that easy and either way you always want to have the basics down. Otherwise you are just hurting yourself in the long run.

Donutz 05-11-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bamfb2 (Post 946946)
Do you have a local snowboard/skateboard training park? Or is it just a gymnastics center? What does tramp training cost (and entail)?

EDIT: Also, would they allow you to strap a skate deck on your feet and use that on the tramps?

I just found a small gymnastics club out in Maple Ridge and asked about private lessons. They charged $20 for 1/2 hour, which was good enough for a lesson. They wouldn't like a skate deck, but they'd have been ok with a Bounce Board.

Donutz 05-11-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by West Baden Iron (Post 947002)
For some reason I really want to learn a backflip. Not real sure why a 39 year old needs to learn that, but I'm determined to learn one. Mainly want to be able to do one on the ground, but if I could translate this to snowboarding it would kick ass.

I was seriously looking at a trampoline as well, but we've just sold our house and bought a townhouse, so that's no longer an option. :rolleyes:

There's a gymnastics place closer to home that charges more but they have the suspension straps for learning inverts safely. I'm going to do a couple of lessons with them.

And yeah, I'm 39 too. But I've been 39 for quite a few years :D


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2