Sorta new here - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Today, 01:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Virginia
Posts: 21
Default Sorta new here

Joined at the end of last year, dec 31 Mwahaha, however I haven't been very active so let me formally introduce myself

My name is Alex I am a snowboard instructor, and this is my third season snowboarding and I LOVE it, probably ride 4-5 days a week, just wish I learned how to ride when I was younger just turned 27 :/

I ride on the east coast (Virginia mainly) but looking to make my way back out west in the future

I also know there is a lot of grammar mistakes in the above paragraph(s) and if you don't like it you can fuck off or
SickTrickz96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old Today, 01:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet
 
chomps1211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: S.E. Mich.
Posts: 4,693
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickTrickz96 View Post
Joined at the end of last year, dec 31 Mwahaha, however I haven't been very active so let me formally introduce myself

My name is Alex I am a snowboard instructor...

I also know there is a lot of grammar mistakes in the above paragraph(s) and if you don't like it you can fuck off or

Welcome!! …I know of one member anyhoo, who's just gonna LOVE reading your posts!!


Not complaining mind you,..! It'll keep the damned grammar nazi offa my back!!! Hopefully you've a decent sense of humor! It's frequently needed here! (…along with a lil bit of a thick hide!)

__________________
You're only Young Once,.. but you can be Immature FOREVER!

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
2014/15
chomps1211 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 563
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickTrickz96 View Post
My name is Alex I am a snowboard instructor, and this is my third season snowboarding and I LOVE it, probably ride 4-5 days a week, just wish I learned how to ride when I was younger just turned 27 :/
Wait... you're a snowboard instructor and you've been riding for less than 3 years??
Rookie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Virginia
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chomps1211 View Post

Welcome!! …I know of one member anyhoo, who's just gonna LOVE reading your posts!!


Not complaining mind you,..! It'll keep the damned grammar nazi offa my back!!! Hopefully you've a decent sense of humor! It's frequently needed here! (…along with a lil bit of a thick hide!)

Heh I have a wicked sense of humor, laugh at shit I probably shouldn't and don't take stuff too seriously, which is odd because I'm a business management major in college.......lol

Last edited by SickTrickz96; Today at 02:28 PM.
SickTrickz96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Virginia
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie09 View Post
Wait... you're a snowboard instructor and you've been riding for less than 3 years??
Yes and this is actually my second season as an instructor and just got my AASI level 1. To be honest how many years someone has been riding is really irrelevant, it's really how much days/time someone spent on a board.

Yes this is my third season however I ride A lot more than the average person I think. First season, was my lightest, was riding 2-3 days a week

Last season and this season I'm riding 4-6 days a week for 4+ hours at a time, plus getting clinics and improving my riding from my supervisors at my home mountain. So yes I haven't been riding that long, however I have had enough time on a board to know what I'm doing and do teach others

Last edited by SickTrickz96; Today at 02:58 AM.
SickTrickz96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 563
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickTrickz96 View Post
Yes and this is actually my second season as an instructor and just got my AASI level 1. To be honest how many years someone has been riding is really irrelevant, it's really how much days/time someone spent on a board.

Yes this is my third season however I ride A lot more than the average person I think. First season, was my lightest, was riding 2-3 days a week

Last season and this season I'm riding 4-6 days a week for 4+ hours at a time, plus getting clinics and improving my riding from my supervisors at my home mountain. So yes I haven't been riding that long, however I have had enough time on a board to know what I'm doing and do teach others
Well, good for you then. I'm assuming you're just teaching first-timers and those with little to no prior experience for now then.
Rookie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
andrewdod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Plymouth, NH
Posts: 610
Default

I find there is a lot of animosity from "seasoned" instructors towards newer instructors based on their experience... (I work as a lifty, and conversate with instructors daily.) I think it is completely bullshit. You can have all the certifications, years on the snow, best gear, and all the newest techniques... but if you can't connect with the student you're garbage. The student is only gonna wanna learn if he or she can connect with you. And thats part of the reason why i feel the "older" crowd of instructors gets offended, because the younger guys can get the younger students up and going so much faster.

Basically my point is, if he can connect with the students it doesnt matter how long he's been on a board.
__________________
-Andrew
It comes and it goes. Get it while it Lasts.
andrewdod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 563
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdod View Post
I find there is a lot of animosity from "seasoned" instructors towards newer instructors based on their experience... (I work as a lifty, and conversate with instructors daily.) I think it is completely bullshit. You can have all the certifications, years on the snow, best gear, and all the newest techniques... but if you can't connect with the student you're garbage. The student is only gonna wanna learn if he or she can connect with you. And thats part of the reason why i feel the "older" crowd of instructors gets offended, because the younger guys can get the younger students up and going so much faster.

Basically my point is, if he can connect with the students it doesnt matter how long he's been on a board.
And I'm not saying he wouldn't be a good instructor. I'm just surprised that he was able to become an instructor after only 1 season of snowboarding. He may be great, he may not be. I'm not going to judge him without seeing so at this point I'll take his word for it.
Rookie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Virginia
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdod View Post
I find there is a lot of animosity from "seasoned" instructors towards newer instructors based on their experience... (I work as a lifty, and conversate with instructors daily.) I think it is completely bullshit. You can have all the certifications, years on the snow, best gear, and all the newest techniques... but if you can't connect with the student you're garbage. The student is only gonna wanna learn if he or she can connect with you. And thats part of the reason why i feel the "older" crowd of instructors gets offended, because the younger guys can get the younger students up and going so much faster.

Basically my point is, if he can connect with the students it doesnt matter how long he's been on a board.
hmmmm, At the resort that I teach at I haven't really felt that there is animosity between some of the more experienced instructors and myself, this might be Just at where I teach though.

I completely agree that connecting with students is very Important thats why when I teach I have 3 main priorities

1. Safety
2. Fun
3. Learning

at the end of the lesson, even if the client wasnt totally able to grasp the basics, if they had fun and were not injured they are usually very satisfied with there experience

and @rookie I did not mean to come off as cocky in my original post, and I agree I still am fairly new to the sport and learn new things almost on a daily basis. And the majority (around 90%+) of the lessons I teach is to beginners who have never snowboarded before, or only been once or twice

Also on a different subject every time someone replies to a thread ive created and or posted in I get an email notification, how do I turn this off
SickTrickz96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
andrewdod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Plymouth, NH
Posts: 610
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickTrickz96 View Post
hmmmm, At the resort that I teach at I haven't really felt that there is animosity between some of the more experienced instructors and myself, this might be Just at where I teach though.



I completely agree that connecting with students is very Important thats why when I teach I have 3 main priorities



1. Safety

2. Fun

3. Learning



at the end of the lesson, even if the client wasnt totally able to grasp the basics, if they had fun and were not injured they are usually very satisfied with there experience



and @rookie I did not mean to come off as cocky in my original post, and I agree I still am fairly new to the sport and learn new things almost on a daily basis. And the majority (around 90%+) of the lessons I teach is to beginners who have never snowboarded before, or only been once or twice

It may just be where I am because we have the Waterville academy and bbts clubs that hire very high profile coaches as well. We also have the regular instructors too. Might just be the upper echelon clashing with the normal folk.
__________________
-Andrew
It comes and it goes. Get it while it Lasts.
andrewdod is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:17 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums