Upstate New Yorker - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Sinodyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Talking Upstate New Yorker

Hey guys, new from upstate NY, just got into boarding around Early March, been out four times.

I bought all my equipment except for a few things at a place Called Alpinhaus, of course, they suckered me into all the Burton stuff, and well, they didn't have much else, and I wanted a board. I like it, but don't love it. It seems good, but just doesn't want to take short, sweeping turns, and the metal edges are already rusting. After this season, I'll try to grab me a nice, short custom, or this, I fell in love with it Save on Nitro T1 Color Snowboard 146 - Mens Snowboards Snowboarding Gear Equipment

Here's my Equipment :

Burton Clash 145

Burton Freestyle Bindings

Some, White Burton Boots

Dakine Clear Cross Stomp Pad

Spy Targa II Pop Persimmon Goggles

RED Hi-FI Pinstripe Helmet

SESSIONS Bandana

Any reccomendations on a board for next season?

Info:

5' 4"

145 LBS

Goofy

Boot Size 10.5 / 11

(Recommended size : 148, but I feel at home on my friend's Burton Shaun White Smalls 142)

I started to learn on shit conditions, but as I got better, the conditions locally got worse, slush, ice, packed granular.

I can only make large, open turns for some reason.

I want to get into park, but want to learn some all-mountain riding skills first.


So far you guys have been awesome, and unbelievably helpful, looking forward to eventually meeting some of you!
Sinodyn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 10:17 PM
Sundays
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinodyn View Post
It seems good, but just doesn't want to take short, sweeping turns, and the metal edges are already rusting.
I don't know what to say to the rest of it since I don't want to give you bad board advice (I barely know anything about guy boards) as for the rusting...
it happens, it happened to mine, if you ride it, it'll just scrap off or you can buff it off with those little rough pad things you scrub your pots and pans. It's usually green. But it'll definitely come off/go away. If you're storing your board, to prevent further rusting I'd say wax it up and cover up the edges as much as possible or what I'm doing this year is I'm oiling up the edges for storage. But make sure you do this when you know you're done for the season. Hope I helped (:
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 10:42 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
baldylox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 3,121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
145 is a small board for your weight. For example, my gf rides a 144 and she is short and slender. You're losing out on edge hold. Think more along the lines of 151-156. However, the ability to make tight turns is a matter of skill. I'd recommend taking a lesson. Also stop by the Tips and Instructions section. SnoWolf has some good vids and tuts. As for the rust, it happens. You'll want to learn how to tune and maintain your edges properly. Good luck!

EDIT: PS...hold off on the custom for a while. That's a stiffer board and will kick your ass and inhibit your progress.


Last edited by baldylox; 03-23-2010 at 10:49 PM.
baldylox is offline  
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Sinodyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks a ton guys, I've taken two lessons, the third lesson I took this weekend I quit out on, she was annoying, she was over excited, and way trying to tell me to put 75% of my weight on my back foot... on what was esentially ice. I did it to shut her up, and fell straight back. She said it was because I didn't have my shoulders straight. I have a video, I'll try to get it up tomorrow to show you, I was straight as a board.

Last edited by Sinodyn; 03-23-2010 at 11:36 PM.
Sinodyn is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 11:55 PM
Sundays
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinodyn View Post
Thanks a ton guys, I've taken two lessons, the third lesson I took this weekend I quit out on, she was annoying, she was over excited, and way trying to tell me to put 75% of my weight on my back foot... on what was esentially ice. I did it to shut her up, and fell straight back. She said it was because I didn't have my shoulders straight. I have a video, I'll try to get it up tomorrow to show you, I was straight as a board.
From what I remember there's no backcountry there so technically you have no reason to be putting your weight into the rear of your board.
I'm pretty sure you don't ride on the back seat of your board unless you're in powder/backcountry. I don't know about anyone else here but I ride leaning with the slope of the mountain so it's like I'm parallel to the mountain. Gives me more control.. I actually want to see this video...

Which resort did you goto?

Yes put this video up I want to see what this girl was trying to teach you.. xD
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Sinodyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundays View Post
From what I remember there's no backcountry there so technically you have no reason to be putting your weight into the rear of your board.
I'm pretty sure you don't ride on the back seat of your board unless you're in powder/backcountry. I don't know about anyone else here but I ride leaning with the slope of the mountain so it's like I'm parallel to the mountain. Gives me more control.. I actually want to see this video...

Which resort did you goto?

Yes put this video up I want to see what this girl was trying to teach you.. xD
I'll try to find the video, I was at gore mountain on a trip with my dad, his girlfriend, and her two kids, the girl by the way, is of near mental retardation brain function when it comes to snowboarding. I feel that I need to hone my skills on a long trail, but the current mountains I've gone to have yet to have a decently long hill where I can cruise, and practice my skills.
Sinodyn is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 12:33 AM
Sundays
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinodyn View Post
I'll try to find the video, I was at gore mountain on a trip with my dad, his girlfriend, and her two kids, the girl by the way, is of near mental retardation brain function when it comes to snowboarding. I feel that I need to hone my skills on a long trail, but the current mountains I've gone to have yet to have a decently long hill where I can cruise, and practice my skills.
hmm I recommend Mount Snow. I've never been to Gore so I can't really compare it to Hunter & Belleayre but it's definitely not as long as Mount Snow's trails. I wouldn't go there if you didn't know how to board. If you decently know enough to get you down the mountain than go for it. Takes me about 20-30 minutes to get down (I'm not entirely sure but i'm pretty sure its around this time frame) LONG LONG trails. Especially Long John, It's like nearly circling the mountain except just down one face... It's a green run but you'd be surprised. Its got like moguls in it and little hits if you want by the sides of the trail. The Moguls are survivable as long as you know enough to get you down a mtn. (:
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome