Introduce yourself - Page 176 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

 136Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1751 of 3057 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 06:57 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey what's up guys and gals. Just moved to Toronto from Ireland, never been snowboarding before... but going to Blue mountain for christmas. Should be fun! Joined here to get opinions on what to do, and more importantly what not to do hehe
Kielo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1752 of 3057 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 12:28 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kielo View Post
Hey what's up guys and gals. Just moved to Toronto from Ireland, never been snowboarding before... but going to Blue mountain for christmas. Should be fun! Joined here to get opinions on what to do, and more importantly what not to do hehe
Hey Welcome! Snowboarding is just an awesome winter time sport. It is fun. I am a new rider myself and this will be my third season. The things that really helped me were. I ride a longboard skateboard THE MOST IMPORTANT...I took a private lesson for 2+ hours before doing anything on the board. Afterward my freebord helped too during the warm season. Otherwise start stretching (if you are old like me) keep your knees bent and wear a helmet!!
tonyisnowhere is offline  
post #1753 of 3057 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 01:47 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Europe
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Recently, I have opened several threads asking for my equipment. Nevertheless, I did not have chance to introduce myself. I am Svett, 27 years old, beginner with passion to progress. I am located at Bulgaria. I am Software Developer. If you have any IT related questions, I am open to give a hand to everybody here.
ralch is offline  
post #1754 of 3057 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 05:02 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyisnowhere View Post
Hey Welcome! Snowboarding is just an awesome winter time sport. It is fun. I am a new rider myself and this will be my third season. The things that really helped me were. I ride a longboard skateboard THE MOST IMPORTANT...I took a private lesson for 2+ hours before doing anything on the board. Afterward my freebord helped too during the warm season. Otherwise start stretching (if you are old like me) keep your knees bent and wear a helmet!!
Nice one man, thanks for the tips. I'm 23 but fairly unfit at the moment, been stretching and jogging with the past few weeks. I was skateboarding the weekend in a skatepark and I'm very very sore still from it (I used to skate a lot when I was younger) but I'm trying to pick it up again to gain balance and all that
Kielo is offline  
post #1755 of 3057 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 03:40 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello fellow shredders and pursuers of awesome

31 y/o Californian who grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area. First couple years I skied (10 & 11), and only went a handful of times with Boy Scouts. Over the next years transitioned to snowboarding and preferred renting boards in order to demo and learn what was best for me.

At 19 joined the Army, was stationed in Texas, and who'd a thunkt it, that Texas/New Mexico would be where I would really improve and learn to shred like I always wanted to. The only resort in the area was Ski Apache, a small resort in Ruidoso, New Mexico, 3.5 hours away doing the speed limit. 2.5-ish if doing 100+ mph wherever possible and completely disregarding speed limits. Good times. Most of the Indians working/running the resort were super unfriendly. But, some were great. I learned every little nook and cranny of the resort, and learned to love it and respect it for being a reservation ski resort, and for the historical aspect of it, imagining how the land was years prior. One day after riding I drove over to Roswell to look for aliens (hilarious little town actually), and another day I went to white sands national monument and snowboarded the Gypsum sand dunes with stealth fighters flying over head. Pretty awesome.

After a few 30+ days a year there, for two+ years, combined with road trips up to Colorado, and trips back to california (Tahoe) on leave, really got the hang of snowboarding, and it became my favorite thing in the world to do, along with fishing. Got out of the Army, moved to Sacramento, and helped run the Ski and Snowboard Club at sacramento state, leading ski trips to Whistler, bus trips to various tahoe resorts, contributing to video premieres for Forum and others, and helping with ski swaps. REally learned to love the Ski and snowboard industry, so much so I majored in business and commercial recreation and tourism. Spent some great days leading bus trips and and teaching others to ride. My favorite thing to do. Love watching someone who thinks they are awesome at everything, suck, work at it, and eventually get it, but hopefully with my guidance, faster than with a class.

On the mountain, frequent the park, big kickers (45 ft+ preferred), steeps and cliffs, and trees. Snowboarding allows me to do some pretty stupid, yet totally awesome, gut wrenching, and adrenaline inducing undertakings. Love it. Whistler, BC, large cliffs, steep chutes. WOW. Do Whistler Blackcomb!!

I now live in Switzerland in the heart of the alps. I am close to St. Anton am Arlberg, (Flims Laax Falera), Silvretta Montafon, Damuls, Solden, Ischgl, Lenzerheide, St. Moritz, and the list goes on. I have over 1,000 large and small resorts within a few hours drive, and can take the train direct to some and public transportation to others. Never needing to drive. Just got back from California and added two new boards to the quiver, a Never Summer Legacy 166, and a Libtech Skate Banana 159 W.

When not in the resorts, I am snowshoeing back country with my Swiss guide friends. They rock the skis with felt slip-ons to the top, I hike up on my MSR Lightning Ascents, with my snowboard on my Salewa 18L backcountry pack. Here in Europe, free-riding and hochtouren (high-moutain tours in English) are really popular. Awesome to get out into the alps with my guide friends, with my Mammut Barryvox Beacon on, and to spend an entire day hiking up these amazing slopes and peaks, to ski/snowboard down, completely alone. Very common here. Must say, pretty awesome. Some friends do it several times a week and seldom go to resorts.

If you ever want any tips of resorts and hotels to visit in the Vorarlberg, Tirol, Ostschweiz (East Switzerland) area, send me a message and will help you as best I can. Cheers, and pray for pow. Winter is around the corner!

Last edited by Pensrud; 10-22-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Pensrud is offline  
post #1756 of 3057 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 01:54 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey I'm Brad. I'm 23 currently residing in Phoenix, AZ, born and raised in Richmond, VA. I started skiing when I started walking, but started snowboarding at the age of 7 and I haven't skied since. I have been a weekend warrior going boarding at least once a year since, but I am moving to mammoth for the winter to work at the resort as a lift operator. I hope to be 10 times better by the end of the season. I am still learning new things every time out. That's why I love this sport!
Truckguy05 is offline  
post #1757 of 3057 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 08:53 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
SnowOwl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bear Mountain
Posts: 898
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckguy05 View Post
Hey I'm Brad. I'm 23 currently residing in Phoenix, AZ, born and raised in Richmond, VA. I started skiing when I started walking, but started snowboarding at the age of 7 and I haven't skied since. I have been a weekend warrior going boarding at least once a year since, but I am moving to mammoth for the winter to work at the resort as a lift operator. I hope to be 10 times better by the end of the season. I am still learning new things every time out. That's why I love this sport!
See you at Mammoth this season! How did you land that gig?
SnowOwl is offline  
post #1758 of 3057 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 09:04 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerkat89 View Post
See you at Mammoth this season! How did you land that gig?
A friend showed me Coolworks.com. I applied in august. After I accept the job at mammoth I got a job offer from breckenridge and snowbird
Truckguy05 is offline  
post #1759 of 3057 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 09:10 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
SnowOwl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bear Mountain
Posts: 898
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pensrud View Post
31 y/o Californian who grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area. First couple years I skied (10 & 11), and only went a handful of times with Boy Scouts. Over the next years transitioned to snowboarding and preferred renting boards in order to demo and learn what was best for me.

At 19 joined the Army, was stationed in Texas, and who'd a thunkt it, that Texas/New Mexico would be where I would really improve and learn to shred like I always wanted to. The only resort in the area was Ski Apache, a small resort in Ruidoso, New Mexico, 3.5 hours away doing the speed limit. 2.5-ish if doing 100+ mph wherever possible and completely disregarding speed limits. Good times. Most of the Indians working/running the resort were super unfriendly. But, some were great. I learned every little nook and cranny of the resort, and learned to love it and respect it for being a reservation ski resort, and for the historical aspect of it, imagining how the land was years prior. One day after riding I drove over to Roswell to look for aliens (hilarious little town actually), and another day I went to white sands national monument and snowboarded the Gypsum sand dunes with stealth fighters flying over head. Pretty awesome.

After a few 30+ days a year there, for two+ years, combined with road trips up to Colorado, and trips back to california (Tahoe) on leave, really got the hang of snowboarding, and it became my favorite thing in the world to do, along with fishing. Got out of the Army, moved to Sacramento, and helped run the Ski and Snowboard Club at sacramento state, leading ski trips to Whistler, bus trips to various tahoe resorts, contributing to video premieres for Forum and others, and helping with ski swaps. REally learned to love the Ski and snowboard industry, so much so I majored in business and commercial recreation and tourism. Spent some great days leading bus trips and and teaching others to ride. My favorite thing to do. Love watching someone who thinks they are awesome at everything, suck, work at it, and eventually get it, but hopefully with my guidance, faster than with a class.

On the mountain, frequent the park, big kickers (45 ft+ preferred), steeps and cliffs, and trees. Snowboarding allows me to do some pretty stupid, yet totally awesome, gut wrenching, and adrenaline inducing undertakings. Love it. Whistler, BC, large cliffs, steep chutes. WOW. Do Whistler Blackcomb!!

I now live in Switzerland in the heart of the alps. I am close to St. Anton am Arlberg, (Flims Laax Falera), Silvretta Montafon, Damuls, Solden, Ischgl, Lenzerheide, St. Moritz, and the list goes on. I have over 1,000 large and small resorts within a few hours drive, and can take the train direct to some and public transportation to others. Never needing to drive. Just got back from California and added two new boards to the quiver, a Never Summer Legacy 166, and a Libtech Skate Banana 159 W.

When not in the resorts, I am snowshoeing back country with my Swiss guide friends. They rock the skis with felt slip-ons to the top, I hike up on my MSR Lightning Ascents, with my snowboard on my Salewa 18L backcountry pack. Here in Europe, free-riding and hochtouren (high-moutain tours in English) are really popular. Awesome to get out into the alps with my guide friends, with my Mammut Barryvox Beacon on, and to spend an entire day hiking up these amazing slopes and peaks, to ski/snowboard down, completely alone. Very common here. Must say, pretty awesome. Some friends do it several times a week and seldom go to resorts.

If you ever want any tips of resorts and hotels to visit in the Vorarlberg, Tirol, Ostschweiz (East Switzerland) area, send me a message and will help you as best I can. Cheers, and pray for pow. Winter is around the corner!
Welcome to the community buddy. Sounds like you've had a lot of experiences, thanks for sharing some with us. Really gets us hyped to see others as stoked as us. Been all over haven't you? Really hoping one day to hit the Alps, maybe I'll ask you for some advice should I ever. Nice quivers, you'll fit in well with the community as you'll see lol
SnowOwl is offline  
post #1760 of 3057 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 11:36 AM
Member
 
DirtyD27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Port Orchard, WA
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I'm Jessie. I'm 34 yrs old, a Michigan native and now live in Port Orchard, Washington. This is my second year back from a very long hiatus. I boarded in my high school years then joined the Navy. Life changed dramatically for me at that point with getting married having kids being deployed, and stationed overseas. Well after 14 years of dedicated service to our great country I am now a vet and back to civilian life.
I got back into boarding after hearing my step son talking about how his and I say this lightly, dad, had taken him once before and how much he enjoyed it. So last Christmas I got him and I boards and gear and so the fire was re-ignited. Now it's all either of us think about to the point that his mother/my wife gets tired of hearing about it . We spent all of last year shredding Crystal Mountain. This season I purchased passes for Summit as Snoqualmie But I'm sure we'll make trips back to Crystal as well as check out some of the other surrounding resorts. I have a good friend who lives in Salt Lake City, UT and we possibly may take a weekend trip to hit up Park City. Anyway that's my story. Ride safe and have fun this season!

My reaction to first snow fall
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


My rides
2012 NS Legacy 163.
2013 NS Brothers in Arms Cobra 163.
DirtyD27 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome