Introduce yourself - Page 242 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2014, 09:39 PM   #2411 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
BizRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: East Coast
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsdavis View Post
Hi! My turn to say hello!

My name is Doug, and I live in Philadelphia, PA. I'm 43 years old, and have a daughter who just turned 11. I grew up in central Illinois, and never set foot on a mountain with the exception of our family trip to the Rocky Mountains when I was about 8. I was a bit of a skateboarder in my teens (the late 80s), but was never able to do any tricks, or anything....just was an average rider. I like to bike and rollerblade, too. I did water ski a fair bit as a kid, and cross country skied as a teen (mostly on the flat grounds of a nearby golf course).

My daughter expressed an interest in snowboarding a few years ago, so I bought her a $20 "snowboard" from Target. It's red, plastic, and you just slide your feet into two plastic buckles on the top. She enjoyed it, though, and mastered going down our nearby hill pretty quickly.

For years, I'd been wanting to go to one of the relatively nearby mountains (Blue Mountain, Jack Frost/Big Boulder, Cambelback, etc.) to try my hand at skiing, but as my daughter's interest in snowboarding blossomed (especially after this year's winter Olympics), I thought, this is the year, let's just pick a date and go. So two Sundays ago, we drove up to Blue Mountain (about 90 minutes north of Philly), and purchased one of their (half price on Sundays!) rental/lesson/lift ticket packages. We took part in a group lesson that progressed through stages, and then practiced on the learning hills. We both decided that we might not be ready for a "real" trail (the "Vista" trail is the one we had access to), but we stayed till dark practicing, and really enjoyed ourselves.

Since then, I've been learning all I can about snowboarding: reading this forum, watching videos, visiting snowboard/ski stores, etc. I really had hoped to get back to Blue one more time before they close, but it probably won't happen, so we'll have to wait until next season.

I'm 6'2", and ride goofy foot. My daughter is about 5 feet tall, and rides normal.

Here's a picture of us at Blue:
Hi Doug, I live in the Philly area, had a lot of good times at Blue this year!

I started snowboarding at about 13 (26 now) and lessons help a lot. I'm not sure how many different levels of instruction Blue has (just moved out here two years ago), but at this point instructors will definitely be a big help in getting you guys to the "real" trails. They'll be able to see little things in your riding that make balancing/turning/stopping much easier, and it probably won't take as long as you think to get to that level.

Once you guys learn to cruise, you can take it the difficulty as far as you want. Have fun and good luck!
__________________
this might get more impressive someday.
BizRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-27-2014, 10:30 PM   #2412 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2
female

Hey there.

Posting from North Vancouver BC and ride grouse mountain for the cheap y2play passes. Getting into racing SBX next season. Any tips or advice on getting into the scene or gear to look at would be great!

5'6
140 lbs
Been riding for about 6-7 seasons worth.
ladyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:19 PM   #2413 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
 
poutanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 5,418
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyJ View Post
Hey there.

Posting from North Vancouver BC and ride grouse mountain for the cheap y2play passes. Getting into racing SBX next season. Any tips or advice on getting into the scene or gear to look at would be great!

5'6
140 lbs
Been riding for about 6-7 seasons worth.
If you're on a budget, there's a used SBX forum out there you can get stuff cheaper. Brand new SBX boards range from $700 (Donek Razor, Volkl Coal Race) to about $1200-1800 (Kessler Cross, Oxess, Virus BX Comp, SG Force).

Apexsport Canada offers discounts on Kessler gear if you're a member of one of the national racing organizations. Worth looking into.

They also suggest Burton Diodes as the go to bindings, and I've found Burton Driver Xs to be an awesome combo with the Diodes for freecarving.

Not sure if there's a womens boot as stiff as the Driver X, there is NO womens binding as stiff as the Diode. If you can fit into a smaller Driver X that may be the go to boot.

Hope this helps!
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:37 AM   #2414 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
If you're on a budget, there's a used SBX forum out there you can get stuff cheaper. Brand new SBX boards range from $700 (Donek Razor, Volkl Coal Race) to about $1200-1800 (Kessler Cross, Oxess, Virus BX Comp, SG Force).

Apexsport Canada offers discounts on Kessler gear if you're a member of one of the national racing organizations. Worth looking into.

They also suggest Burton Diodes as the go to bindings, and I've found Burton Driver Xs to be an awesome combo with the Diodes for freecarving.

Not sure if there's a womens boot as stiff as the Driver X, there is NO womens binding as stiff as the Diode. If you can fit into a smaller Driver X that may be the go to boot.

Hope this helps!

Hey thanks, appreciate it a lot. Currently looking for a used kessler board. Dont know a thing about bindings or boots in regards to sbx gear.

Is there a specific used forum you were referring to?

Checked out the apex site. Your right the prices are quite high. So I'll keep an eye out for sales but having a hard time finding a 155-158 cm board.

Thanks again!
ladyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:26 PM   #2415 (permalink)
Member
 
dsdavis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 45
Default

Hi, BizRider! Nice to hear from you!

We will definitely be taking more lessons! Can't wait to get back on the hills!



Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by BizRider View Post
Hi Doug, I live in the Philly area, had a lot of good times at Blue this year!

I started snowboarding at about 13 (26 now) and lessons help a lot. I'm not sure how many different levels of instruction Blue has (just moved out here two years ago), but at this point instructors will definitely be a big help in getting you guys to the "real" trails. They'll be able to see little things in your riding that make balancing/turning/stopping much easier, and it probably won't take as long as you think to get to that level.

Once you guys learn to cruise, you can take it the difficulty as far as you want. Have fun and good luck!
dsdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:31 PM   #2416 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7
Default

Angie

I've been lurking around on these forums for a while now haha. Thanks for always posting super helpful stuff! 16 yr old from Ontario, started at 14 with my school's ski/board club and loved it ever since (: My family doesn't hit the slopes that often (anymore) so we only go maybe 3-5 a season which kinda sucks.

Using some deeluxe boots and the same morrow board I started learning with. The park looks like tons of fun but I've always been too spooked by it to go alone. Seems intimidating!
caiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 03:30 PM   #2417 (permalink)
Member
 
dsdavis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 45
Default

Welcome to the world of non-lurkers, Angie. ;-) Good for you or saying hello!
dsdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:22 PM   #2418 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
ZachHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 7
Default

Hello my name is Zachary and I'm a 15 year old snowboarder.

I come from the Vancouver area and ride mostly Grouse, Cypress and Whistler.
I started snowboarding in grade 5 and loved it ever since.
Hopefully you will see me around here more as I am starting to be very fond of this website
ZachHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:57 PM   #2419 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggerXJ View Post
This is just like my story. Hated snow, hated winter, girlfriend taught me and now I absolutely love it all!
Hehe nice. It's kinda funny how getting your significant other to teach you is a big no no on a lot of how to's but I didn't realize until after. My fiance did a decent job teaching me, despite the times when he contradicted himself which then got me all confused and frustrated. But next season, I'm planning to get an instructor to start the season right.
Flyinglotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:59 PM   #2420 (permalink)
Member
 
dsdavis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 45
Default

What's up, Zach! Welcome!!!!!!

My daughter is in fifth grade and loves snowboarding! (And Minecraft--not sure which she loves more!)
dsdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:41 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums