Powder suggestions - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2011, 09:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
SGoldwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sweden
Posts: 147
Default Powder suggestions

Hi. A couple of friends and I will take the long trip from Sweden to Canada in the beginning of 2012 for some real powder experience.
Unfortunately there is a lack of snow in my area in Sweden. Two years ago we went to Tignes in France for a great week of snowboarding. Lots of snow but not that much "champagne powder".

According to what I have read and heard the best powder is in Canada. So we have set a budget to 2300 Canadian dollars (15.000 swedish crowns). The flight from sweden will cost a little bit less than half which gives us ~1300 CAD to spend on accommodation, living and of course for ski lift tickets. If it can include cat-ski, heli-ski or other fun that would be great.

Whistler, Bannf and Kicking horse are some resorts we have found. In your opinion where is the best "champagne powder" experience?
SGoldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-10-2011, 10:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,029
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGoldwin View Post
So we have set a budget to 2300 Canadian dollars (15.000 swedish crowns). The flight from sweden will cost a little bit less than half which gives us ~1300 CAD to spend on accommodation, living and of course for ski lift tickets. If it can include cat-ski, heli-ski or other fun that would be great.

Whistler, Bannf and Kicking horse are some resorts we have found. In your opinion where is the best "champagne powder" experience?
Interior BC (Kicking Horse, Revy, Red Mountain) are probably your best bets for champagne powder.

$1300 for a week is very doable. 6 of us did a week in KH for $1150 (not including flight). That covered food, rental cars, gas, lift tickets and slope-side accommodations in a gorgeous chalet. Don't know if you're going to fit a heli-ski excursion in for that budget though.

Some great accommodation options are available thru "for rent by owner" websites. It all depends what you want to spend.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 27
Default

Agreed. The interior of BC is where you are going to go if you want light powder. Very rarely on the Coast do we get temps low enough to qualify (but when we do...watch out). Resorts to look into would be SunPeaks (Kamloops), Big White (Kelowna), Apex Alpine (Penticton)as well as Kicking Horse. Good luck as that is the key factor with all things weather related.

Couch

(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Interior BC (Kicking Horse, Revy, Red Mountain) are probably your best bets for champagne powder.

$1300 for a week is very doable. 6 of us did a week in KH for $1150 (not including flight). That covered food, rental cars, gas, lift tickets and slope-side accommodations in a gorgeous chalet. Don't know if you're going to fit a heli-ski excursion in for that budget though.

Some great accommodation options are available thru "for rent by owner" websites. It all depends what you want to spend.
couch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
SGoldwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sweden
Posts: 147
Default

Thanks for your quick replies.
Regarding costs is our goal to keep all living-concerning stuff to a minimum in order to get as much as possible on the snow-experience.

The "for rent by owners" is a great suggestion. I will look into it more, but if you have some suggested sites i would appreciate it.

Another question pops into my mind. What time of year is best chance for getting best condition?
We have a time frame from early February to late Mars.
SGoldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 27
Default

Mid week is always the cheapest time for tixs or accommodations. One thing you could consider is renting a motorhome and staying in the parking lots. I have done that and it was cheap and you can always park close to the hill. All three resorts (not Kicking Horse) are all within an hours +/- drive of each other.

Later in the year is better, the temp aren't that much different but you will have more day light in March.
couch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,029
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGoldwin View Post
Thanks for your quick replies.
Regarding costs is our goal to keep all living-concerning stuff to a minimum in order to get as much as possible on the snow-experience.

The "for rent by owners" is a great suggestion. I will look into it more, but if you have some suggested sites i would appreciate it.
VRBO.com is a good site to start a search for private rentals.

Problem is, with some places like KH or Revy, there isn't much infrastructure yet so there isn't a lot to choose from. The flip side, of course, is if you can find something that fits your needs then you don't have to battle resort-size crowds.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
chupacabraman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Monashees
Posts: 876
Default

The best powder is at Whitewater & Revelstoke. Period.
chupacabraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
SGoldwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sweden
Posts: 147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chupacabraman View Post
The best powder is at Whitewater & Revelstoke. Period.
I've found a package Including Revelstoke and Kicking horse that looks interesting.

What time of the year has the best weather condition for powder?
SGoldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
hikeswithdogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Minnesota Summer--Utah Winter
Posts: 967
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGoldwin View Post
Hi. A couple of friends and I will take the long trip from Sweden to Canada in the beginning of 2012 for some real powder experience.
Unfortunately there is a lack of snow in my area in Sweden. Two years ago we went to Tignes in France for a great week of snowboarding. Lots of snow but not that much "champagne powder".

According to what I have read and heard the best powder is in Canada. So we have set a budget to 2300 Canadian dollars (15.000 swedish crowns). The flight from sweden will cost a little bit less than half which gives us ~1300 CAD to spend on accommodation, living and of course for ski lift tickets. If it can include cat-ski, heli-ski or other fun that would be great.

Whistler, Bannf and Kicking horse are some resorts we have found. In your opinion where is the best "champagne powder" experience?

To my knowledge the most and lightest powder in North America falls in Utah, last year snowbird got 731in(Vs 550 in Revelstoke) and the vast majority of that was "The greatest snow on earth" there's a reason it's the tag line for skiing snowboarding\skiing across the nation.

Does that mean I'd rather goto Utah than RevelStoke no(but it would be ALLOT cheaper) but that's not the topic of discussion

Last edited by hikeswithdogs; 10-10-2011 at 03:46 PM.
hikeswithdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
SGoldwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sweden
Posts: 147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikeswithdogs View Post
To my knowledge the most and lightest powder in North America falls in Utah, last year snowbird got 731in(Vs 550 in Revelstoke) and the vast majority of that was "The greatest snow on earth" there's a reason it's the tag line for skiing snowboarding\skiing across the nation.

Does that mean I'd rather goto Utah than RevelStoke no(but it would be ALLOT cheaper) but that's not the topic of discussion
Price is unfortunately a matter. Please explain more why you rather goto Revelstoke than Utah. And also why/what is a lot cheaper in Utah.
SGoldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:39 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums