Need pointers. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 08:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 926
Default Need pointers.

buying a season pass to sunshine, its 600 bucks till 30th so yay or nay?
I could get one for nakiska or lake louise, but louise is far and i heard nothing but bad about nakiska. Im aiming to slay them pow days and when theres no snow speed down the slopes so park doesnt matter. Which one gets the most snow and sorry but i cant afford the pass to all there, I wish. So far i love sunshine and i hated louise when i went but it was a shitty day so... what are your expiriences?
blunted_nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-27-2012, 09:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
ARSENALFAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 910
Default

Well I think I can answer a few questions. I know some locals who have timed how long it takes to get to Lake Louise and be riding v Sunshine Village. It's exactly the same time as Sunshine has a major long gondola ride. I used to be a fan of Lake Louise. What I do like about Sunshine is that the drive home isn't as long. I am a Sunshine convert. It definately has the fluffies and most consistent snowpack. The runs are shorter but I am spending alot of time trying to become better by riding switch and landing natural jumps so length of run isn't that big of an issue. Lake Louise is great for speed on groomers and the runs are much longer. It certainly gets icier. I made the decision to buy a Sunshine pass for myself this year. First time ever. I plan on a minimum of 20 days. So it is well worth it. I also bought my daughter a pass. If we want to go for a half day....no big deal....and then end the day in Banff relaxing. The amenities of Banff outweigh Lake Louise IMHO. I have never felt tired driving home from Banff but have almost fallen asleep behind the wheel coming home from Lake Louise. The one thing you may want to do is buy a Lake Louise plus card which gives you 1 free day at Louise plus daily discounts at Louise and Castle Mountain. I will be riding Castle Mountain anytime it dumps regardless of the fact that I have seasons pass for Sunshine. I'm 40 and a decent snowboarder. If you would like to ride this winter..just send me a PM. I plan on meeting up with Poutenen from this board. He has a pass for Louise and may be able to shed some light on why he purchased same v Sunshine. All the best!
ARSENALFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 926
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARSENALFAN View Post
Well I think I can answer a few questions. I know some locals who have timed how long it takes to get to Lake Louise and be riding v Sunshine Village. It's exactly the same time as Sunshine has a major long gondola ride. I used to be a fan of Lake Louise. What I do like about Sunshine is that the drive home isn't as long. I am a Sunshine convert. It definately has the fluffies and most consistent snowpack. The runs are shorter but I am spending alot of time trying to become better by riding switch and landing natural jumps so length of run isn't that big of an issue. Lake Louise is great for speed on groomers and the runs are much longer. It certainly gets icier. I made the decision to buy a Sunshine pass for myself this year. First time ever. I plan on a minimum of 20 days. So it is well worth it. I also bought my daughter a pass. If we want to go for a half day....no big deal....and then end the day in Banff relaxing. The amenities of Banff outweigh Lake Louise IMHO. I have never felt tired driving home from Banff but have almost fallen asleep behind the wheel coming home from Lake Louise. The one thing you may want to do is buy a Lake Louise plus card which gives you 1 free day at Louise plus daily discounts at Louise and Castle Mountain. I will be riding Castle Mountain anytime it dumps regardless of the fact that I have seasons pass for Sunshine. I'm 40 and a decent snowboarder. If you would like to ride this winter..just send me a PM. I plan on meeting up with Poutenen from this board. He has a pass for Louise and may be able to shed some light on why he purchased same v Sunshine. All the best!
Yeah, im 18 , BUT fear not, im not a jackass. I take snowboarding as a relaxation and i enjoy the nature. Ill be down, and since i have every monday off ill be there every monday till january, then idk. ill be driving a rwd crow vic with winter tires, so i wouldnt count on me as a ride unless its urgent. Im totally down for meeting and im probably going to get sunshine pass aswel. Anyone else having better expirience with louise regarding pow? or just a better feel to the mtn?
blunted_nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
ARSENALFAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 910
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blunted_nose View Post
Yeah, im 18 , BUT fear not, im not a jackass. I take snowboarding as a relaxation and i enjoy the nature. Ill be down, and since i have every monday off ill be there every monday till january, then idk. ill be driving a rwd crow vic with winter tires, so i wouldnt count on me as a ride unless its urgent. Im totally down for meeting and im probably going to get sunshine pass aswel. Anyone else having better expirience with louise regarding pow? or just a better feel to the mtn?

Well you may be a better rider and that is good for me. You only get better when you ride with those who set the bar higher. I keep up with almost everybody on the hill. My job gives me every other Friday off and I plan on taking a bunch of Mondays off as vacation days. And if you have not been to Castle, you have not snowboarded.
ARSENALFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,282
Default

Fuck sunshine after what they did to their staff
bseracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 926
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bseracka View Post
Fuck sunshine after what they did to their staff
I heard, but doesn't justify the 45 extra car drive.
blunted_nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Rides Caturdayz
 
seriouscat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 512
Blog Entries: 6
Default

Not really 45. From the sunshine road turn in on transcanada to lake louise parking lot is about 35min extra. Add in the gong show that is sunshine parking lot at times, and the gondola I'd say it's pretty even....
__________________
I train every day of my life as they have never trained a day in theirs. Alexander Karelin
seriouscat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 926
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriouscat View Post
Not really 45. From the sunshine road turn in on transcanada to lake louise parking lot is about 35min extra. Add in the gong show that is sunshine parking lot at times, and the gondola I'd say it's pretty even....
Less driving, better. Specially as my first year driving by myself and in less then ideal conditions.
blunted_nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 926
Default

Alright, how about castle Mtn? How far would it be from Okotoks, google maps tells me abut 3hrs but the website of castle says 2.5hrs from Calgary and Okotoks is closer. Honestly SSV is about 2hrs from Okotoks but im not really into groomed runs and stashes so if i can get to castle in about 2hrs from Okotoks ill be down for getting a ass there. I dont care about the lifts as long as theres no lines and all pow for me
blunted_nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 895
Default

I live in Cranston (south calgary) and castle is a few km closer to my house than LL so im sure its pretty close to you.

I really like ssv but they need to move the park to a run surrounded by trees on goats eye. SSV has better snow and a longer season with cell reception on the whole hill. LL has a way better park but i don't think that matters to you.

The only down side to ssv for you is that so much is above the tree line so if the light sucks you are stuck in a few areas, where LL has much more terrain bellow treeline.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:45 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums