Driving from Vancouver to Whistler - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 05:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 31
Default Driving from Vancouver to Whistler

A bunch of stars aligned for me this year and I'm headed to Whistler this January. My flight is getting in late (about 11:15PM) and it looks like there are no shuttles running to whistler at that hour. I'm supposed to meet up witt some friends that morning so I've reserved an SUV and I'm going drive up to Whistler that night. I am wondering what the drive is like. I am from Chicago so driving in snow is not a problem. I am comfortable driving in the mountains as well. What I am not sure about is driving in the snow, in the mountains. Is this a treacherous drive? ..or is it a wide cushy plowed highway?

Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated.
Cane700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-06-2012, 05:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
grafta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,752
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cane700 View Post
or is it a wide cushy plowed highway?
It's one of those.
grafta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
fuzebox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: vancouver
Posts: 17
Default

Post-Olympic construction it's fine. The twisty parts are generally not cold enough to be icy either.
fuzebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,387
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Easy drive even at night, nothing to worry about.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
grafta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,752
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamps View Post
Easy drive even at night, nothing to worry about.
I wouldn't go that far. Ice would be the biggest worry. Take it easy and see if you can get a vehicle with proper snow/winter tires.

Saw an SUV last season that had gone off the road on ice. It was about 1/3 the length it used to be. Not nice. Early morning black ice.

It's a very nice new, wide road but people get lulled into a false sense of security and drive it like a race track
grafta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 451
Default

Way better post olympics
Just slow down a bit, if it's icy, dont slam on the breaks gear down and slowly press the breaks.
jml22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,387
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafta View Post
I wouldn't go that far. Ice would be the biggest worry. Take it easy and see if you can get a vehicle with proper snow/winter tires.

Saw an SUV last season that had gone off the road on ice. It was about 1/3 the length it used to be. Not nice. Early morning black ice.

It's a very nice new, wide road but people get lulled into a false sense of security and drive it like a race track
Dude's from chigago, he knows shitty weather. But you're right, a little cation is still warranted.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
grafta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,752
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamps View Post
Dude's from chigago, he knows shitty weather. But you're right, a little cation is still warranted.
Haha yeah, I nearly wrote the same thing as you man, then remembered that one nasty icy day. Now I sound like someones mom
grafta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 451
Default

There arent hills/mountains in chicago i though? lol
Ice on flat and straight is different than hilly and windy
jml22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cane700 View Post
A bunch of stars aligned for me this year and I'm headed to Whistler this January. My flight is getting in late (about 11:15PM) and it looks like there are no shuttles running to whistler at that hour. I'm supposed to meet up witt some friends that morning so I've reserved an SUV and I'm going drive up to Whistler that night. I am wondering what the drive is like. I am from Chicago so driving in snow is not a problem. I am comfortable driving in the mountains as well. What I am not sure about is driving in the snow, in the mountains. Is this a treacherous drive? ..or is it a wide cushy plowed highway?

Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated.
In 20 plus years of driving from Vancouver to Whistler only twice would I have considered it a treacherous drive. It can be if a big storm is coming though and the temp drops. Driving with common sense will get you there no problem, especially with an SUV. The best thing about driving up late night is minimum traffic, unfortunately you will miss out on some beautiful views of Howe Sound.

Enjoy Whistler!!
deepcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:57 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums