Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into buying a new helmet.

My current is a simple out of. No boa, definitely no MIPS. Nothing really, and I have to be honest, I love it, it seats rather well, it’s warm but with vents, I got it covered with stickers just like a 13 year old(who cares I’m 40 in 3 months).

So I thought I’ll get a new helmet since the plastic is too old on this one(5 years).

After learning about MIPS and studying the tech, I had a feeling I should get a mips helmet, but the cheap ones giro/smith... around 100$.

Having said that and while started to look a buying options and models, I had a different thought.

Where should I put my money in? A basic helmet with mips or no mips premium helmet? And that is my question. Giro w/ mips, or a simple POC for example?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,143 Posts
Every hemelt is designed to pass the same safety standard. While slip planes like MIPS and Pocs Spin tech do more, they aren't technically "safer". Buy the helmet that's comfortable.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. But is the entry level mips while having mips r skipping a different safety feature.

Obviously all pass the same standard tests

·
Registered
159 Posts
I bought "cheap" MIPS; a Smith Mission rather than the Vantage which was twice the price.

It fitted better, was lighter and had most of the features of the Vantage. The only downside was the slightly naff earpads.

This was to replace a much heavier Sweet Alpiniste (also climbing certified) which I split open after an icy impact leaving me a little stunned. I decided it was time for a bit of tech rather than brute strength.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
What helmet brand do you currently have and what shape is your head? Some brands fit better for people with round heads (e.g. Smith), others fit better for people with more oval heads (e.g. Giro/Anon))

Also how much of an issue is fogging up goggles, as some models have vents to help with that while others don't..

·
Registered
175 Posts
try em on and get whats fits best, it varies not only from brand to brand, but even the same brand each model fits different (at least it did for me)

I got the giro zone mips, I love it, end of season is usually the best deals, I think I paid $90 and its a $200 helmet

·
Premium Member
2,323 Posts
Yup try on the cheapest and keep going till it fits nice. I spent $300 because I have spent years trying to find one that fits good and Smith Vantage never go on sale.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
I had a Smith Vantage MIPS last year, was a comfy, nice fitting helmet. I caught my heel edge and fell quite hard and the top section broke off. One of the ski instructors said a similar thing had happened to him (although he didn't have a hard fall). The helmet did it's job and protected my head, but surprised at the top breaking off (it is a separate piece) so not sure if it was a bad batch or just a more fragile design.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What helmet brand do you currently have and what shape is your head? Some brands fit better for people with round heads (e.g. Smith), others fit better for people with more oval heads (e.g. Giro/Anon))

Also how much of an issue is fogging up goggles, as some models have vents to help with that while others don't..
A company called “Out of”
My head is on the oval side I would say
And I got no fog issues at all

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I need to order online since options in Israel are very limited and mips options are super expensive here, so can’t try it on

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,143 Posts
Yup try on the cheapest and keep going till it fits nice. I spent $300 because I have spent years trying to find one that fits good and Smith Vantage never go on sale.
So, I tried on a couple of the Smiths yesterday,... Those definitely don't fit my mellon! Tried sum Oakelys and sum others,.. no dice there either. So far a few of the Giro models seem to be the only ones that fit my noodle without bizarre & uncomfortable pressure points. (...all in the $160-$200 & up price range naturally!) :rolleyes: Apparently, No $100 helmets fer me! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, I tried on a couple of the Smiths yesterday,... Those definitely don't fit my mellon! Tried sum Oakelys and sum others,.. no dice there either. So far a few of the Giro models seem to be the only ones that fit my noodle without bizarre & uncomfortable pressure points. (...all in the $160-$200 & up price range naturally!) :rolleyes: Apparently, No $100 helmets fer me! :rolleyes:
That’s what I’m afraid of

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,143 Posts
That’s what I’m afraid of

LoL!

Seems I spoke too soon. After I Googled "Giro Jackson mips helmet" (...the one that fit me best yesterday!) I found one on sale @ Skis.com for $99!!

Yay! Replace my 8 y/o Giro and without breaking the bank.

OP,.. Sorry didn't intend to be rubbin salt. ;) :D

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have the same problem. Bern xxl/xxxl is the best I've found, but it's still a little tight haha.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,773 Posts
Buy the helmet that's comfortable.
That. Buy the helmet that you want to wear, because if you're not wearing it, it's not protecting anything.

Also take your goggles and try those on with helmets. If the helmet that fits you best and is the most comfortable doesn't fit well with your goggles, then try on some other goggles and buy those too.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Shit.
Going to have to try before I buy.
No way of going Round it.
Hate retail.

Cheers guys

·
Registered
28 Posts
Shit.
Going to have to try before I buy.
No way of going Round it.
Hate retail.

Cheers guys

Sometimes you have to be cool with that. even paying more than you think you should, to make sure you leave the shop with the correct fitting gear - helmet in this case.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I have the same problem. Bern xxl/xxxl is the best I've found, but it's still a little tight haha.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Bern XXL/Xxxl all the way. My Anon fit ok, but my head needs a deep bucket. Bern makes a nice deep bucket. I wear a size 8 fitted cap...or 63cm.

Other fair fits compared to Bern were Anon and Giro Combyn. Bern just give that little extra room.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts