Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi,

Just interested in your thoughts: should I let my 15 year old son, go up the mountain (on pistes that he knows), on his own, in France (he doesn't speak much French)?

He knows the resort/mountain well but he's never done a day on his own before. He likes doing little tricks, jumps, black slopes and off piste - the latter I would prohibit. He might do a little time on the piste in good conditions with grandparents, but because I and his friend he invited can't go, he's likely to spend most of the week riding slopes on his own.

I'm favouring the idea, although I'm guessing many responsible parents may shoot it down.

What do you reckon/any similar experience?

Thank you

Matt

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
hi,

Just interested in your thoughts: should I let my 15 year old son, go up the mountain (on pistes that he knows), on his own, in France (he doesn't speak much French)?

He knows the resort/mountain well but he's never done a day on his own before. He likes doing little tricks, jumps, black slopes and off piste - the latter I would prohibit. He might do a little time on the piste in good conditions with grandparents, but because I and his friend he invited can't go, he's likely to spend most of the week riding slopes on his own.

I'm favouring the idea, although I'm guessing many responsible parents may shoot it down.

Thank you

Matt
I was basically riding on my own from age 12. A lot of times with my similar aged brothers and almost zero time with my parents. Working at a resort you get tons of 10 year olds and younger even riding on their own. Obviously it's better with people but millions of people are on mountains every year and only a handful have anything happen because they're alone. As long as you trust him there's no reason to worry.

·
Premium Member
2,420 Posts
As in like take a bus or whatever alone and riding alone? I mean if he's up for it then sure let him go. If he's wanting to go that bad he'd do it by him self I'm sure he can handle it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
superb, thank you lab49232 that's great to know

freshy, thanks for your comments, I wasn't sure what's ok & acceptable on the piste, lab49232's comments helped. Part of my reservation was also that if there were to be a problem and it's a different language etc, the situation might be more difficult. But I'm keen as for him to have the opportunity. We went at Christmas and he's doing really well. He'll ride bus from chalet up to resort then ride by himself. The bus will be fine.

Cheers

·
Registered
46 Posts
Is he on the whole a responsible kid? Generally trustworthy? You say he knows the mountain well, I assume that he's capable, knows his limits etc... Myself I'd keep him inbounds perhaps out of the glades, remind him how trust works, tell him to communicate often, and have a good time.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,206 Posts
I was 11 when we kids got shooed "off-off you go!" every Wednesday and Saturday afternoon after school to take the bus to the close by little ski hill, so parents have more time without us :). It was normality in the valley I grew up. We were fine and it was fun. But I admit, with the oldschool skis, going off piste wasn't a big topic. I hurt myself on the ski race tracks, instead ;)

Your 15yo should be able to handle a day on his own. Let him carry a note with your contact in case of emergency, something written in French. In the age of google translator, he'll find his way around if not unconscious. But I'm sure he'll be fine and enjoy riding and making new friends.

Just give him the serious "don't go off piste, don't follow tracks" talk. It's France, I assume, they don't have "inbounds" neither.

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
Oh hell ya, give him the talk "don't call me, call the ski patrol"...lol...but srsly...really make sure he knows or has the patrol number.

My daughter at 15 was a ski/board instructor and put in about 60 days that year on her own and with friends. If your son has a good head on his shoulders and wants to step it up...its not your parental yes or no response that is helpful. But ask him what is his plan to make it happen and what is his B-plan if A hits the shitter.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sh00gs, thanks

Radialhead, nice idea, never done that to date, could be useful though mountain reception is a quite patchy and intermittent, cheers

neni, lucky you... yes the contact note is a good idea, cheers

wrathfuldeity, I've never carried a number in the past 20+ years I've been on the slopes - but yes good idea, cheers

I've just bought his flight so he's definitely going now.

part of my caution and concern was that if he has a problem I can't do my normal parent act of coming to the rescue/help (I'll be in the uk), but I'm sure he'll have an awesome time.

thanks everyone for your ideas

Matt

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yeah we use the spot trackers when working remote in Aus, just push a button every hour and those connected can log in and make sure all is well at anytime. There’s heaps of good options now for that sort of tech and these are smaller enough you don’t even notice wearing them. But if there’s cell coverage it makes it heaps easier.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have no idea about the situation in today's France. FWIW, I went skiing on my own from age 5 up (at the T-Bar a couple hundred yards behind my parents' house) and then by bus into the resort from about age 10 up.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
hi,

Thank you

Matt
Wow tough question (because each kid, parent and resort/country is different).

I would not send off my son to a big foreign resort on his own. Much less for a week. I would let him ride by himself in said resort, only if I or his mom is there as well (ie. in the same resort/location, but not necessarily WITH him during the day for whatever reason).

If it is a local small resort and he's going with more people (adults) then yeah I would let him at 15. But totally on his own to a foreign resort... no. Especially if he hasn't done a day on his own before.

Mine (10 y.o.) has done days by himself-ish before, and is going to Whistler with his school tomorrow and every week for the next month. So after that, he'll be more able to ride by himself (or with friends) and by 15 he should be ok going by himself with others not necessarily the parents. This is a big resort, but it's "local" so there's a lot fewer variables and quicker solutions should anything come up.

I don't think I'm a 'responsible' parent based on that though, more like an over-protective parent. But no, wouldn't let him go and ride totally by himself... I would take time off work, or get his mom to and go with him; or book a different trip with him.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts