Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I can get a good deal on a 151 Jones flagship, but I'm wondering if I will be able to ride this board at all?

I weigh 160lbs and am 5'7", boot size 8.5. I'm pretty sure my boots will be able to fit no problem as I have a board thats slightly bigger in waist width.

I ride east coast with mostly groomed trails and ice. My ride style is bombing down, hard carves, and hitting small natural rollers.

I also have a K2 party platter for pow, and a Yes greats for riding switch and buttering. What I want for this 151 Jones flagship is for me to be able to lay some hard carves and go really fast. Since I won't be using it for powder, I think the 151 will be rideable for me. What do y'all think?

·
Registered
150 Posts
The flag is dope. It's my do-anything daily driver on west coast now. I'm 178lbs 5'9" and I have the 162 Wide - and even that is conservative. I found a deal or would've got the 165 wide (will probably regret it).

I would go up in size if I were you to the 154 at the very least. 151 is tiny.

You wanna bomb and carve like hell, get the 159 wide. The bigger the board the more room you'll have to grow as a rider in my opinion. Wide boards are also my new wave considering you get more float, more stable at speed, and doesn't really hinder turning at all (feels the same). Try one and you won't go back especially for carving. So long toe / heel drag, hello digging trenches.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I got a 166 Flagship and wished it was bigger sometimes too. Not in the trees, but for bombing around. If it was smaller, I'd expect it to be better in the trees and worse carving around. The Flagship does have some amount of mag to help with edge hold, but there's no replacement for longer effective edges on ice.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My party platter is pretty wide, at first I noticed the slow transition edge to edge but after riding a while you forget about it. Is it about it about the same with a wide jones board?

My party platter is a 143 and my yes greats is 152 and I ride those pretty comfortably. ( Although I bought them when I weighed 140 😂). I guess 151 is not optimal, but wondering if I could still have a good time on it. This wouldn't be for powder at all since A) we get none here and B) I have a dedicated pow board.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Yeah, the Flagship is pretty stiff. If you're looking to manhandle it than smaller is fine. Where are you in the recommended weight range? A too large Flagship could end up riding you. Jones boards seem on the narrow side to me, but it helps with that classic carving feeling. I remember getting a big confidence boost when I got my Flagship.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 151s recommended weight range is 120-170 so I am on the upper end of it

·
Registered
613 Posts
If you're fine with it being a little softer for you, I'd bet you'd be good on that size. As you said, it's not going to have to float.

If you felt like looking around more, there's a few great carving boards out there. Maybe you can find a deal on one of those in your size. Fuller camber would help grip ice better, Camrock probably won't do you many favors there.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I'll definitely keep looking and be open to other boards.

Thanks for the guidance

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts