Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HULLO.

Just a quick question i currently ride a 157 burton process flying V and love it, but i cant chuck it around as much as i would like to in the park. Im around 5'9 160pounds boot size 11US.

Ive been offered a 149 Dc focus board at a seriously good price. Just wondering to buy it for park jibbing. but not sure if it will be wayyyyy to small for me.

What you think?

Cheeeers

·
The Swiss Miss
7,448 Posts
Did you check if your boot/bindings fit at your prefered stance and angles on this small/narrow board at all? if toe/heel overhang is an issue for what you want to do with the board :dunno:

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
That said, the 149 Focus is almost the same width as the board he is currently riding..
4mm bigger right? Yea that probably wouldn't make much difference considering you'd split that making it 2mm on each side. It could probably work then. The Nug still trips me out. My girlfriends brother has one and he says it rides like a normal size board.

·
Registered
816 Posts
HULLO.

Just a quick question i currently ride a 157 burton process flying V and love it, but i cant chuck it around as much as i would like to in the park. Im around 5'9 160pounds boot size 11US.

Ive been offered a 149 Dc focus board at a seriously good price. Just wondering to buy it for park jibbing. but not sure if it will be wayyyyy to small for me.

What you think?

Cheeeers
At 160 lbs you'd probably be fine using it for a jib only board, but if you intend to use it for any jumps/hips/anything else you may find it kind of unstable.

Most people around your weight range are riding 153-157-ish for their park boards, so 149 is definitely lower than you'd normally want outside of a pure jib board.

A word of warning as an instructor: Be careful with the whole sizing down thing. A lot of people compensate for poor park technique by sizing down thinking it's their snowboard not letting them perform properly when really it's their technique that's letting them down and getting the smaller board just delays the problem of not learning proper technique.

Not saying this is you, but it's just something to keep in mind since I see it happen a lot.

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
4mm bigger right? Yea that probably wouldn't make much difference considering you'd split that making it 2mm on each side. It could probably work then. The Nug still trips me out. My girlfriends brother has one and he says it rides like a normal size board.
No. The 4mm is the difference in waist width. However, he is not standing at the wait, but at the insert points - and with the deeper sidecut on the Focus the difference at the inserts is probably only 2mm or so.

Generally I would have thought the 149 Focus to be a bit narrow, but if the 157 Process works for him...

·
Registered
552 Posts
the boot size is the only thing id be worried about. im 5'9, 155 lbs and ride a 147 in the park with no problems..but i also wear a size 9 1/2 boot

·
Registered
451 Posts
really, i think you'd be fine riding that short on some park oriented boards, granted they had more edge than that.

i'm 5'10" - 160-165lbs and ride a 148/151 for jibs/park only days.

you're looking at 109cm of effective edge on that 149cm board. my 148 has 114cm of edge, which is quite significant. 2 inches more hold on each side, even though it's 1cm smaller.

i can't say that you won't love that board, but i'm not sure you'll find it to be very stable, at least on any kind of decent incline.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts